Brad Green's Contract Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Give him what he's asking for, we've screwed over enough senior players already. He's had one bad year, but has been a great player for us for many years before that.

We screwed over one.

Before that, we had a history of giving senior players far too much leeway in their performance and salaries.

I think Brad is worth keeping, but we shouldn't give him more than he's worth because of what happened to Junior.

Taking chest marks 2 meters out from goal aint leadership

Taking chest marks 2 metres out from goal flying back into packs was basically his MO during his career best year in 2010. It has been a disappointing year no doubt, but I'm in the group that believes the captaincy did not sit well with him.

In light of our recent history with senior players, and knowing what Brad is capable of and also believing his body to be in good nick - I'd be in favor of offering him a 2 year deal.

It is time we started balancing our philosophy out a bit and move away from the 'youth at all cost' school of thought.

Absolutely must keep him despite what everyone will probably say. Had a poor year for sure, but fans always need always need heroes and villains, it was his turn this year. I think if he was going to leave he would have done so a few years ago when the dogs wanted him. Can't see him going.
I reckon he wants to go, probably to top 4 club, maybe Hawthorn, he's still got 2-3 years left in him

Taking chest marks 2 metres out from goal flying back into packs was basically his MO during his career best year in 2010. It has been a disappointing year no doubt, but I'm in the group that believes the captaincy did not sit well with him.

In light of our recent history with senior players, and knowing what Brad is capable of and also believing his body to be in good nick - I'd be in favor of offering him a 2 year deal.

It is time we started balancing our philosophy out a bit and move away from the 'youth at all cost' school of thought.

hopefully all the changes at the club will make him want to stay but I wouldn't bank on it.

I agree Stretch.

The other factor that has gone unrecognised for too long is that a large part of what a captain stands for is being an extention of the coach. A good captain always reinforces the coache's ethos and guidance on the football field. Bailey gave Brad Green absolutely nothing in this regard - our whole purpose on the ground was to count games and nothing more.

I was laughed at on the main board when I said that Nick Maxwell would be a good captain when news first came to hand of his appointment. He's not the best player out there but I knew straight away that he would be an honest performer as well as Malthouse's voice on the park. Collingwood have structure, team rules and well thought out strategies that has been their mantra for some time. When Maxwell spreads his word the players know that he is doing it in the name of team expectations and design and in many ways he is both a leader and a messenger - this is so important to what a captain does.

When you think of Voss on the park you think of Matthews.

When you think of Hird on the park you think of Sheedy (back when he wasn't senile).

Heck, go back to Michael Tuck and I dare say it was like having Jeans on the park the way he got the team to perform.

We can vent all we want at some of Green's apparent "hissy fits", less goals than last year and also being in charge on the park during a poor year but I would honestly have to say that as a captain he had about 50% in his arsenal to show guidance and was simply improvising as best he could. Green was reduced to yet another marking forward competing with other marking forwards in order to make a statement. This is another area where people don't understand Bailey didn't do his job.

Brad Green is by no means a model captain, we all know that. However he was close to the best option we had and his greatest fault isn't that he was a bad captain it was simply that he was Brad Green and he wasn't good enough personally to overcome the obvious short comings in the way our side was prepared.

Hopefully the club, if they do want to shift the captaincy on, can make clear the two issues are separate.

Saying they don't think he is the right captain is not the same as saying he has no role to play at the club.

Give him 2 years with the 2nd year based on performance and take the captaincy off him and put it to a player vote.
Moloney will surely come out as capt. and Trennas as vice.
too easy

Give him 2 years with the 2nd year based on performance and take the captaincy off him and put it to a player vote.
Moloney will surely come out as capt. and Trennas as vice.
too easy

Give him 2 outright, but the rest, I like :)

I just want Moloney to be captain next year!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Green gets 1 year anda second if he achieves one of 2 goals playing 16-18 games or kicking 40 goals simple. captaincy is put up to the leadership group as usual.

R and B Can only agree with your comments, well thought out

With all the changes in coaches etc, bring on trade week, bring on 2012 its got to be better than 2011,

Go Dees Give 'em HELL !!!!

Give him two with a get out clause for him to instigate should he wish. He has been a true warrior since coming and this has been his worst year by miles. He deserves more respect than that.

John Ralph (yeah he's a jerk I know) has said that Green's signing is a formality. Didn't specifiy length or anything like that.

It was always going to be, just nutting out the dollars and the length. Wouldn't surprise if Green held off talks a bit so he could sit down with Neeld to see where he is at with captaincy etc.

Another massive problem for Green was that he was coming off a career best season so he had the pressure of trying to back it up again. Add in the pressure of being a first year captain wouldn't of helped

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Green's Contract Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back