Bradley Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

I know Changa was pretty average in his last couple of seasons but gee people have short memories on here. Changa was an absolute gun for us. If people need a reminder just how good he was, watch the 2008 PF against St. Kilda and refresh your memory, he was a star.

I like Smith but to even compare him to Changa at his best atm is ridiculous, Hill could be anything and is a very exciting propsect.

I'd be surprised if any of the current crop got to the level Changa did at his best. Hard gut running, solid skills, physical aggression at the man and the ball for a small bloke and did the team thing every time.

I miss Chance Bateman. 13 years of excellent service for the Hawthorn Football Club. :thumbsu:

No doubting that Chance would of been a big influence/mentor towards Hill. Hopefully Brad Hill can become a similar type of player to Bateman. If he can even be half as good as him that would be great result. :)

I know Changa was pretty average in his last couple of seasons but gee people have short memories on here. Changa was an absolute gun for us. If people need a reminder just how good he was, watch the 2008 PF against St. Kilda and refresh your memory, he was a star.

I like Smith but to even compare him to Changa at his best atm is ridiculous, Hill could be anything and is a very exciting propsect.

I liked Changa but i reckon Smith is contributing as much at the moment as Changa did for most of his career. Chance's 2008 was sublime, but most of the time he contributed like Smith does now, hard running, racks up some possies and both very good players whose finishing occisionally undoes some of there good work. I don't think comparing the two does either a disservice.

I agree on Bateman, he could do most things very, very well when on song. Smith is a very different player, far more outside, less tough etc.

But Hill could be better again, he has all the tools to be an elite outside runner, which is probably a bit captain obvious to say at this point. If we can hang onto him, we won't need to worry about one wing for the next 10 years.

Three things to say:
1. Changa in his prime had the desire you need to succeed. Pup is the closest thing right now
2. Smith has had good games against weaker sides. I don't think he will make it. I hope I'm wrong
3. Hill doesn't look big enough. Watch the highlights reel every week. He's always in the action

I'd be surprised if any of the current crop got to the level Changa did at his best. Hard gut running, solid skills, physical aggression at the man and the ball for a small bloke and did the team thing every time.

I think some have more potential than Bateman as an "outside player". Changa played the outside role for us so well, however I think his kick wasn't as good as some of the players I've mnetioned. Bateman was a rare in the fact he was very hard at the ball, yet played the outside role for us.

I think Bateman was a more complete player as he could play two ways (offensive and defensive) whereas the players we have now are purely offensive.

Believe me, I no how good Bateman was in 2008. It was his best season and came at a perfevt time for us.

Changa at his best had a physical and nasty edge that neither smith or hill will probably ever reach. But both are probaby better users of the ball (esp hill) than changa ever was and probably comparable in running ability.

Both Smith and Hill (especially) haven't yet played 50 AFL games. I think it's a little unfair to compare Smith and Hill with Bateman on the basis of Bateman's whole career. It's a fairer comparison to look at what Bateman had done after 50 games and go from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young, the player he is largely to replace, was one of the least physical players I've seen go around... yet most fans just praised his outside run (which Hill potentially provides even more of)

This young fellow is gold plated. He will be a top footballer . I'm just worried he might go back to Freo with his brother.

This young fellow is gold plated. He will be a top footballer . I'm just worried he might go back to Freo with his brother.

For what it's worth, I reckon he'll stay a Hawk.

There's no need to compare Hill to anybody. He's doing extremely well for a second year player.
You and your sensible posts

He's off for a bit of pace/skill of his brother however Brad as a lot more Mongrel about him

I give Hill credit for trying to be more agressive. This has come with some confidence and knowing that he must do this of he is to have an AFL career.

He's done well but lets be honest he is still physically light and weak in the tackling department.

Probably two goals in the Geelong match occurred because he couldn't stick a tackle or or got pushed off easily.

The pessimistic side of me says that it's going to be a liability come finals time when the play is a lot more contested.

He's done well but lets be honest he is still physically light and weak in the tackling department.

Probably two goals in the Geelong match occurred because he couldn't stick a tackle or or got pushed off easily.

The pessimistic side of me says that it's going to be a liability come finals time when the play is a lot more contested.
I also thought this until the Geelong match. I can't recall the goals you mention coming as a result of his tackles not sticking but generally was pleasantly surprised by his physicality and ability to get his hands on the ball.

I guess you have to ask how many goals (or goal opportunities) came as a results of his play and see what the net result is.

Agree with this. He is no Cyril in the tackling department. Great hands, decision making and composure, offers good run but he needs to develop a defensive side to his game to contribute in the tight games.

He only had 1 tackle on the weekend. As an outside mid he needs to help negate the opposition spread and carry when we don't have the ball. Compare his stats on the weekend with other players used as outside mids in our team... Smith had 9 tackles, Savage 6 tackles, Lewis 7 tackles.

I think this is the big improvement which will help take his game (and our game) to the next level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bradley Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back