Bradley Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

He's done well but lets be honest he is still physically light and weak in the tackling department.

Probably two goals in the Geelong match occurred because he couldn't stick a tackle or or got pushed off easily.

The pessimistic side of me says that it's going to be a liability come finals time when the play is a lot more contested.
I felt our tackling was rubbish against the cats. Our best effort in that regard was against the Swans. Sticking tackles will be essential to win a flag. Must improve.

I recall reading an article earlier in the season that suggested Hawthorn's successful tackle rate was amongst the lowest in the league. Hill can certainly improve the defensive side of his game, but I suggest he isn't the only one on Hawthorn's list.

I recall reading an article earlier in the season that suggested Hawthorn's successful tackle rate was amongst the lowest in the league. Hill can certainly improve the defensive side of his game, but I suggest he isn't the only one on Hawthorn's list.

There's no need to tackle if you already have the ball !
Unless you're the Swans and just exist on packs of midfielders tackling everyone in sight ...

Hill's an outside runner and would have fewer tackles anyway.

I also thought this until the Geelong match. I can't recall the goals you mention coming as a result of his tackles not sticking but generally was pleasantly surprised by his physicality and ability to get his hands on the ball.

I guess you have to ask how many goals (or goal opportunities) came as a results of his play and see what the net result is.

Also he's a young boy . He has some growing to do. His brother was light on too. I think his pace and capacity to save situations by running away from trouble far outweighs his lightness.
He is a bit Cyril like maybe , yes/no folks?

There's no need to tackle if you already have the ball !
Unless you're the Swans and just exist on packs of midfielders tackling everyone in sight ...

Hill's an outside runner and would have fewer tackles anyway.

Funny about the Swans they do tackle everyone , including their own players . Strange tactic , but it causes a pack. Just how they like it. I think Freo may be heading that way.

Also he's a young boy . He has some growing to do. His brother was light on too. I think his pace and capacity to save situations by running away from trouble far outweighs his lightness.
Nothing like Cyril.

Cyril is a very good contested possession winner and tackler and as we know not a good gut runner.

Hill is basically the opposite, very good runner but weak in contested situations.

He needs to build up his tank which will allow him to run both ways, which will in turn improve the defensive side of his game.

I noticed a couple of times on the weekend that a few of the Port players were able to run away from him when they were running the ball through the center, with his speed and acceleration he should be able to run down or at least hold pace to add pressure to the disposal.

Other than this and his tackling ability I think he is tracking along very nicely and hopefully resigns with Hawks very shortly.

He may not be able to make a tackle stick just yet, but he is usually right up their clacker and forces poor disposal. His speed is a weapon both offensively and defensively. I hope he is rested and ready come finals.

Nothing like Cyril.

Cyril is a very good contested possession winner and tackler and as we know not a good gut runner.

Hill is basically the opposite, very good runner but weak in contested situations.

You know Cyril played in the 2008 premiership. That was 5 years ago. Cyril is a freak, but Hill is a boy still.
So saying "nothing like Cyril" I would say "not yet!".
But of course maybe never . And of course maybe as good in a different way. But I see him doing some "Cyriling" occasionally , perhaps he's learning and practising . Always look forward.
I see him doing some twisting turning, jumping up like a jack in a box, after a fall, and carry the ball.
So I see huge value in him too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting Cyril comparisons are made. They are different players but what I enjoy seeing is the lift Hilly gains when Cyril is out there -- he grows in confidence and is willing to try a few more things -- for this reason I feel he will sign for another two years and he and Cyril will prove to be a "delicious" combination !!!

:D:thumbsu:

You know Cyril played in the 2008 premiership. That was 5 years ago. Cyril is a freak, but Hill is a boy still.
So saying "nothing like Cyril" I would say "not yet!".
But of course maybe never . And of course maybe as good in a different way. But I see him doing some "Cyriling" occasionally , perhaps he's learning and practising . Always look forward.
I see him doing some twisting turning, jumping up like a jack in a box, after a fall, and carry the ball.
So I see huge value in him too.

I think people are saying that Cyril tackled like a machine in his first year. As evidenced in the 2008 premiership in a piece of play that broke the spirit of Geelong. Probably why so many of their supporters have a dislike of Cyril. Hill would have no chance of that happening at the moment. No shame in that, Cyril is a very unique player.

Amazing draft so far 2011. We took Hill at 33. Of the 88 (+3 passes = 91 ) selections only 22 have not played a game. (Includes Woodward and Jordan Kelly). Woodward is possibly unlucky not to have played. This includes Rookie promotions (Breust). A few more on the list are likely to get games in time.

There are not many players after pick 33 (our first pick) that could have added what Hill does to our side. The only exception maybe being Jordan Murdoch (Pick 48) at the Cats:(. Why does that name p me off?

He needs to build up his tank which will allow him to run both ways, .

Really? He is already an elite runner.

I think he just needs to learn the game but he is doing great considering he is only 19 games into his career.

I think they are exact opposite in how they play and if they could share there strengths, they could be the best. ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bradley Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

Back