Bradshaw may Return

Remove this Banner Ad

Bradshaw may return
19 September 2006 Herald-Sun
Damian Barrett

DANIEL Bradshaw could be added to the exodus of big names from Brisbane, with the full-forward considering a return to home state Victoria.

Marking time: star Brisbane forward Daniel Bradshaw is out of contract and considering his options.

Bradshaw, coming off arguably his best of 11 seasons with Brisbane, is out of contract and has attracted the interest of Melbourne clubs.

His manager Ron Joseph flew to Brisbane last week to open negotiations with the Lions.

"Brisbane has said he is a required player and that they wouldn't contemplate losing him, but there is a bit of work to do from both ends at the moment to get something in place that will work," Joseph said.

"It is the old story with interstate players, and Daniel's origins are Wodonga-Albury.

"His preference would be to continue his career at Brisbane but it is not to say for the first time he is thinking, 'Will we come back to Victoria'?

"And if that is the case, is it better to do it now rather than at the end of his career."

Bradshaw, 27, kicked 59 goals for the Lions this year.

With three young children, he is considering basing himself closer to family.

It is believed the Western Bulldogs, already in negotiations with Brisbane for Jason Akermanis, have discussed adding Bradshaw to their list for next year.

Unlike Akermanis, Bradshaw is out-of-contract, which will allow him to enter the pre-season draft and nominate terms of his next deal.

Brisbane is desperate to retain Bradshaw, who has played in key positions at both ends of the ground in recent years.

Lions' football manager Graeme Allan would not comment on the possibility of Bradshaw entering a 12th season with Brisbane.

"The football club does not comment on player contracts, player trades or recruiting," Allan said.

The Lions are also fighting to keep captain Michael Voss and full-back Mal Michael on their 2007 list.

Voss is seriously considering retirement, while Michael is yet to commit to playing next year, let alone with Brisbane.

Brad Scott retired at the end of the season.

Kangas_Div said:
No Thanks.. a little too old at 27 and wouldnt trade any picks at all for him
And wouldn't get him anyway.You're right about the age, and given their asking price will be outrageous and he isn't really needed anyway, would be silly to pursue.

Almost 28 I think - would love him at the Kangaroos - all quality player. But I suspect the Lions would want at least a round 2 pick and that is too high for me.

Would take him if we could do a trade deal around Brown for example. You would get 3 to 5 years from a quality proven player.

But no if it meant early draft pick.

Tasroo said:
No way, youth is the way foward now.

Youth that NEEDS the right treatment, unfortunately JYD and his cast are not Youth savvy to turn these type to become top-liners inside 3 years. Look at Wellsy, part time performer and how many years in the league already??

:thumbsdown:

I'd take him if it didn't cost us much. He would work well with Thommo and has shown he can operate in a forward line with multiple forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sput1956 said:
I'd take him if it didn't cost us much. He would work well with Thommo and has shown he can operate in a forward line with multiple forwards.

Dont need him. Youth policy all the way.

sput1956 said:
But he will cost much. Totally overrated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bradshaw may Return

Remove this Banner Ad

Back