List Mgmt. Brady Rawlings | Head of Football Talent (Recruitment, LM & TPP)

Remove this Banner Ad

The point being made is we have been pretty poor over the last number of years in identifying good football talent further into the draft or in the rookie or mid season drafts. It sticks out like Dog Balls in the Rawling era. :stern look
When your team is humming and you pick up a rookie they can look better than they actually are. Other teams, big clubs have 20 staff recruiting and scouting.. we have 3. We are a massively under resourced club and have been for years.

Is what it is, I think Brady gets about a C for his recruiting, he’s made some s**t errors however there has been a couple of good things. Its a bit meh..

I think he’s done better than Joyce.

The point being made is we have been pretty poor over the last number of years in identifying good football talent further into the draft or in the rookie or mid season drafts. It sticks out like Dog Balls in the Rawling era. :stern look
It's not Rawling fault that Jacob was the Tinman, and a bonafide 2 way mid was picked by the Hawfs with pick 2.

Actually, yes, it was...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's not Rawling fault that Jacob was the Tinman, and a bonafide 2 way mid was picked by the Hawfs with pick 2.

Actually, yes, it was...

Well your memory fails you. Newcombe told every club that he will play vfl if any other club chose him. He was a hawk and was always going to be a hawk.

He played for boxhill, he was hidden by Hawthorn footy club. Newcombe was never going anywhere else other than Hawthorn.

Forget newcombe because that was NEVER HAPPENING.

Pisses me off this talking point about newcombe. Every club approached him and he was fair dinkum not going to play for anyone else. You can’t use newcombe.
Rightio. If he got drafted by us he would be playing for us now. Just like how Reid didn't want to go to WA. :stern look

Not even remotely true.
It's a fib North supporters told ourselves once it became plain as day that we bought the snake oil for Edwards.
Yeah, not so sure. I think we need to separate a few things - first, it's true that North were always taking Edwards (and this was the largely unanimous view as to pick 1), and yes, that was a bust for the ages; but second, North taking Edwards doesn't rule out Newcombe and Hawthorn were in cahoots to rort the MSD

The AFL feeling compelled to change the rules to prevent any repetition doesn't read to me like Newcombe was ever on the open market

Yeah, not so sure. I think we need to separate a few things - first, it's true that North were always taking Edwards (and this was the largely unanimous view as to pick 1), and yes, that was a bust for the ages; but second, North taking Edwards doesn't rule out Newcombe and Hawthorn were in cahoots to rort the MSD

The AFL feeling compelled to change the rules to prevent any repetition doesn't read to me like Newcombe was ever on the open market

Hawthorn took him at pick 2 because multiple other clubs were willing to meet his financial terms. That is fact. There was no 'cahoots'. He was willing to come to North on those terms.

The reason the AFL changed it is because they didn't want players opting out of the national draft so they could get picked up eight months later on a better contract. Nothing more than that.

Sick of this woe is us conspiracy s**t. We have just been poorly run and mostly made our own luck.

Hawthorn took him at pick 2 because multiple other clubs were willing to meet his financial terms. That is fact. There was no 'cahoots'. He was willing to come to North on those terms.

The reason the AFL changed it is because they didn't want players opting out of the national draft so they could get picked up eight months later on a better contract. Nothing more than that.

Sick of this woe is us conspiracy s**t. We have just been poorly run and mostly made our own luck.
You have to laugh at Merlin’s sorceress ways. Garbage Wizard. :stern look

I don't think you'll find much in my posting history that indicates I'm a conspiracy theorist - couldn't agree more that our problems are indeed of our own making, beginning imo when the Board allowed Scott at the end of 2016 another attempt at 'renewing from the top' following the partly successful but ultimately unfulfilling recruitment of Waite-Dal Santo-Higgins

I also acknowledge that Edwards was a bust, but that's only in hindsight, because a quality young tall was clearly a need at the time (still is) and I don't recall much commentary at the time, either here or elsewhere, that Edwards lacked the appetite for an AFL career.

So that just leaves what you say is the 'fact' that clubs other than Hawthorn were willing to meet Newcombe's financial terms - I assume that's itk, because I haven't seen much in the public arena, so let's leave it at that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it notable that Brady is not included in the “ ask the leaders forum” ?

I believe that he has been included in previous forums such as this

Is it notable that Brady is not included in the “ ask the leaders forum” ?

I believe that he has been included in previous forums such as this
Hes working hard trying to sign Rory Lobbs to a 4 year deal

I’d love to know just how much money this bloke has cost the club…not only for his salary but overpaying for spuds from other clubs, over extending our own players and overpaying mediocre players.

It would paint a very very bleak picture of his impact on the club.
Well you need to spend 95% of your salary cap. If we had a competent team manager managing the same list we'd be 70% underspent and in a world of trouble from the AFL.

So maybe thanks Rawling is in order

I think Brady is a victim of the same issues we are seeing with players. I reckon it's incredibly unfair to dump all issues with the list at his feet because since getting here he hasn't had the stability of a head coach and head of football that now comes with Viney and Clarko.

Trades like CCJ or Stephens don't just happen because Brady goes and gets them on his own accord. These are requests or decisions that come from the head coach.

What I've seen come into the club has mostly made sense with some players coming in to fill gaps will we wait for our own talent to mature. Some we've brought in are just being average fringe players that suck in a below average team. I feel like the alternative would be going and getting a gary ablett jnr, a high price recruit who could not give less of a f*** about the team who is here only for the money and fails to bring success as our list is too young.

Personally, I like the range of talent that has been brought through since he has arrived, specifically:

• Ford
  • Powell
  • Curtis
  • Goater
  • Logue

The list was cooked well before he arrived and to lay all of it at his feet is a bit ridiculous.
Of a massive sample size this is the best you’ve got?

Ford is unproven at AFL level, as is Goater.

Logue hasn’t played many games but if we count him then he’s the only successful draftee from another club 😆 what a strike rate.

Powell has been pretty good but doesn’t look any better or worse than where he was selected in the draft so don’t think it’s really a win.

If at this point anyone is still defending Brady they are deluded or he has said hello to you or something and you think he’s the best bloke in the world.

Unfortunately he is s**t at his job and the recent fortunes of West Coast and us is pretty conclusive evidence of that.

Of a massive sample size this is the best you’ve got?

Ford is unproven at AFL level, as is Goater.

Logue hasn’t played many games but if we count him then he’s the only successful draftee from another club 😆 what a strike rate.

Powell has been pretty good but doesn’t look any better or worse than where he was selected in the draft so don’t think it’s really a win.

If at this point anyone is still defending Brady they are deluded or he has said hello to you or something and you think he’s the best bloke in the world.

Unfortunately he is s**t at his job and the recent fortunes of West Coast and us is pretty conclusive evidence of that.
Hear Ye, Hear Ye. :stern look

Well you need to spend 95% of your salary cap. If we had a competent team manager managing the same list we'd be 70% underspent and in a world of trouble from the AFL.

So maybe thanks Rawling is in order

Well aware of that, just really wish he didn’t waste draft capital and the clubs hard earned on absolute potatoes.

But the bloke doubles down and signs these potatoes to long term contracts. Who in their right mind signs:

• Luke ******* McDonald to a long term deal on good money.
  • Fisher to 4 years, Stephens for 4 years
  • CCJ on money he didn’t deserve and a contract length he didn’t deserve
  • Stephenson on nearly 700k 😳
  • Simpkin to a long term deal

And those are just the recent ones I can think of.

I don't think you'll find much in my posting history that indicates I'm a conspiracy theorist - couldn't agree more that our problems are indeed of our own making, beginning imo when the Board allowed Scott at the end of 2016 another attempt at 'renewing from the top' following the partly successful but ultimately unfulfilling recruitment of Waite-Dal Santo-Higgins

I also acknowledge that Edwards was a bust, but that's only in hindsight, because a quality young tall was clearly a need at the time (still is) and I don't recall much commentary at the time, either here or elsewhere, that Edwards lacked the appetite for an AFL career.

So that just leaves what you say is the 'fact' that clubs other than Hawthorn were willing to meet Newcombe's financial terms - I assume that's itk, because I haven't seen much in the public arena, so let's leave it at that

Regardless of what I do and don't know, Hawthorn would have let him slide to their second round pick if other clubs weren't willing to meet his nominated draft terms.

Well aware of that, just really wish he didn’t waste draft capital and the clubs hard earned on absolute potatoes.

But the bloke doubles down and signs these potatoes to long term contracts. Who in their right mind signs:

• Luke ******* McDonald to a long term deal on good money.
  • Fisher to 4 years, Stephens for 4 years
  • CCJ on money he didn’t deserve and a contract length he didn’t deserve
  • Stephenson on nearly 700k
  • Simpkin to a long term deal

And those are just the recent ones I can think of.
Grim indeed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back