Player Watch Brayden Cook - Contract Extension to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Just another reminder why young players need to be given a block of games to develop.

Interestingly, we have got more out of Cook than Dees have from McAdam...

He's all class & we just need to use him more as a quality ball user & decision maker.

lol, I wonder if Jack will tell us how Cook sucked in the SANFL and didn’t deserve a game.
Fantastic to see the cartel circle jerk over a 9 disposal, zero tackles game. The cartel went early (just like Brayden) on the gameday thread. Five disposals in the first quarter. Two goals, one from a 50 metre penalty and one from an uncontested mark 30 metres from goal (great play by Schoenberg) in the first quarter. And then……

Do you want to guess what Cooky contributed from just after the half way mark of the second quarter. No not 4 touches, not three, perhaps two, your getting closer.

Truly a break out game although it was below his season average of 9.5 disposals per game (boosted by his other break out game against the Roos). Imho, his best game was against Collingwood because he made close to a 4 quarter contribution.

As I have constantly stated, I am happy for Brayden to play in the AFL rather than McHenry or Murphy but his contribution has been even less than he provided in the SANFL over the previous 3 seasons.

PS Did you watch the game on 5aa again George?

I’m late on this, but I’m guessing Cook is to Ciao Giacomo as Rachele is to WaynesWorld19?
Incorrect. I am desperate for Brayden to fulfill his potential, he is exactly what we need with McAdam gone.

My response was to the pathetic bleating by the usual suspects that Cook should have been getting games over the last three years. I can only think of one poster who watches the SANFL who believed this and he hasn’t seen an AFL match let alone a SANFL match since Noah built the ark.

Brayden has great skills and a superb highlight reel. Unfortunately he has always struggled to get much of the footy. His stats in the AFL this year (and previous seasons) are there for all to see. I was genuinely excited by his first quarter on Sunday but as usual he put the cue in rack half way through the second quarter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep old mate Four Touch may need a new nickname soon

If Four Touch is supposed to be a derogatory name, where does that leave the guy who has had four full games with 4 (or fewer) disposals in his career?

I guess

Taylor Walker

must be even worse!

Fantastic to see the cartel circle jerk over a 9 disposal, zero tackles game. The cartel went early (just like Brayden) on the gameday thread. Five disposals in the first quarter. Two goals, one from a 50 metre penalty and one from an uncontested mark 30 metres from goal (great play by Schoenberg) in the first quarter. And then……

Do you want to guess what Cooky contributed from just after the half way mark of the second quarter. No not 4 touches, not three, perhaps two, your getting closer.

Truly a break out game although it was below his season average of 9.5 disposals per game (boosted by his other break out game against the Roos). Imho, his best game was against Collingwood because he made close to a 4 quarter contribution.

As I have constantly stated, I am happy for Brayden to play in the AFL rather than McHenry or Murphy but his contribution has been even less than he provided in the SANFL over the previous 3 seasons.

All I know is he demonstrates some good stuff. We just need more of it. What I think people are saying when they celebrate him is that he needs the same chances McHenry and Murphy got and still get after dozens of seriously poor games. Cook needs games.

My gut feel is that he is running out of chances to stay in the side. As players come back from injuries, not to mention talent brought in at the end of the year, if he doesn't put his name up in lights probably in the next month at most, i wouldn't blame the club for dropping him. But Murphy on selection integrity alone needs to go as well.

Incorrect. I am desperate for Brayden to fulfill his potential, he is exactly what we need with McAdam gone.

My response was to the pathetic bleating by the usual suspects that Cook should have been getting games over the last three years. I can only think of one poster who watches the SANFL who believed this and he hasn’t seen an AFL match let alone a SANFL match since Noah built the ark.

Brayden has great skills and a superb highlight reel. Unfortunately he has always struggled to get much of the footy. His stats in the AFL this year (and previous seasons) are there for all to see. I was genuinely excited by his first quarter on Sunday but as usual he put the cue in rack half way through the second quarter.
So yep, you and Wayne are one and the same

Can you elaborate? I can't really see the resemblance.
He’s a tall half forward who’s a good kick.

Maybe the plan was/is for Cook to play that Lynch role but probably would’ve been a good idea to keep him around to teach Cook to play there, given he was the best in the comp at it and wanted to go into development/coaching.

Half forward can be Alaska in terms of possessions, hard to assess his role without watching live - is he playing a defensive role on offensive half backs or is he looking to be that connector and just not getting used?

All I know is he demonstrates some good stuff. We just need more of it. What I think people are saying when they celebrate him is that he needs the same chances McHenry and Murphy got and still get after dozens of seriously poor games. Cook needs games.

My gut feel is that he is running out of chances to stay in the side. As players come back from injuries, not to mention talent brought in at the end of the year, if he doesn't put his name up in lights probably in the next month at most, i wouldn't blame the club for dropping him. But Murphy on selection integrity alone needs to go as well.
Cook just needed to up his workrate without the ball ....it was clear in the SANFL he wasn't working hard enough

Talent alone won't get you an AFL career .....you can argue Cook has been played out of position since Drafted, HB and Wing .....or was he being taught workrate & defensive skills .....that's speculative

Many of us wanted Cook played as a FWD this year .....taking up a position vacated by McAdam ...he's grabbed that opportunity with both hands, playing the same role he played at Sth Adelaide, that saw him Drafted

He's been lauded last week on his workrate as much as anything .....massive tick ....no way he's at risk of being dropped now, there's a big light now at the end of what's been a long tunnel

Oh Jack, so many words to highlight despite apparently being a dedicated watcher of games you rely on stats.

If you can’t see Cook is building, that his touches are class and he’s developing, well you’re not quite the poster you think you are.

Yes he’s not playing a full game yet but it will come. He’s clearly a player that we should be patient with his development and thankfully Nicks is, he’s got ability and offers a point of difference to us, he wasn’t going to get better playing SANFL. If he puts it all together we will be a better team.

Heres a tip for you though, not everyone who disagrees with you is cartel, it’s not that big ;)

Last edited:

You really like to have it both ways don’t you?
Whack him each week and then say I’m happy for him to play.
No one went earlier than you calling him Mr 4 touch.

Abit of an enigma. Seems to be in the game but then you looks at his stats and he has had 9 possessions.

His intensity and aggression at the contest and player has improved. Must pesist with until the end of the year.

Here’s Cook’s AFL stats:
FC0558C7-945B-4695-B3D3-8992CC0B8EA6.jpeg
Cook’s games in each of the AFL seasons looks similar to that of Fog, with the “up and down” amount of games.
Interesting observations:
  • 2021 + 2023, he only played 4 games in total with a respectable average of 15 disposals (for a young player); went goalless these seasons.
  • 2022 + 2024, he’s played the same amount of games (8).
  • comparing 2024 to 2022, he’s averaged roughly the same number of disposals (9.5 to 10.4), but he’s nearly tripled his goal tally (8 to 3) and nearly doubled his marks (21 to 13).
  • most pleasing is that he’s showing more scoring power while still maintaining the defensive pressure (tackle average is the best it’s been at AFL this season).

Like Fog, I think Cook might explode around his 4th-5th season, which is hopefully very soon for Cook!

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Brayden Cook - Contract Extension to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Back