Player Watch Brayden Sier (Delisted 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

It seems the moment we brought Beams back, he would find it hard to be inside mid, because from there; it all depended on taking Greenwood out. Then Round 1 they replaced Levi with Brown. And with Taylor Adams making a comeback, things get worse for him.

If this continues, I can see him looking elsewhere.
Or he could start getting a kick in the twos?

He has to do the work. If he’s not prepared to do that.

Cya
I still think we are getting ahead of ourselves here. Was always a borderline selection when doing best 22 for 2019.

It’s only rumour that he hasn’t worked hard but what we do know is he went back to the Muy Thai camp in the off season and in the Jan time trial to start the NY pre season he finished 11 th which was a massive improvement over previous seasons and he beat many well established mids. I reckon he will get a chance as the season progresses, become best 22 and this convo will be forgotten.

Good trait bait for us so puts us in a good position
I’d rather keep him but we can get a lot back!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Unfortunately I don't reckon you're right
- only played a dozen games of footy
- not in Collingwood's best 22, or is one of the last selected at best
- uncontracted beyond 2019
- wasn't taken at a very high draft pick

If we lose Sier without him playing much senior footy this year, I reckon we're looking at a Witts-like situation where we may get absolutely stiffed on the trade table despite how good the player in question is.

He can rip apart as many games as he likes but unless he can develop to play a different role he’s not going to knock Beams or Adams out of the team as the inside midfielders

It could happen a few ways. We could structure up so we rotate 5 on ballers at the centre bounce instead of 4 (which we currently do). We could shift Beams to half forward (Phillips current role) or wing (shift Sidebtoom into Aish's high half back role). It looks pretty tight for Sier though. I do reckon we are better out of the middle with him in there though. He's a rare talent.

Did he come in after Treloar’s double hamstring injury?
Yes. Treloar did that against Carlton in rd. 14. Sier debuted in rd. 15 against Gold Coast.

I'm rather bemused at so many of the comments here (not having a go at you BTW). I thought Sier had shown everyone just how good he was/can be by the end of last season. I absolutely see him as being in our best 22 when he's up and running. It's disappointing that he has started this year slowly, but the quicker he gets himself right and starts playing as he can the happier I'll be! He should be a huge part of our plans for the next ten or so years.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rumours of his attitude are grossly inflated IMO. Even if his attitude was 100 percent ( which it might be for all we know) , somebody had to make room for Beams and Elliott.
It really was quite recently that Collingwood almost cut him due to poor professionalism, he had 1 good preseason after that but its not hard to imagine he slipped into bad habits, especially when guys like C.Brown and even T Brown are picked ahead of him (jlt)

Garry and Tim pontificating as they do, this time about Sier. They reckon he would be a good fit at Essendon.
To be fair, Garry has been a big Sier spruiker / fan since last season.

He actually was saying the actual team now is keeping him out, just the number of spots.

Further to that, this idea about being cut earlier got his professionalism was far more about him being very young and not realising his opportunities than being a bad egg.
This was coupled by recurring injury / niggles / eye socket injury etc.

These days he may very well come across as a bit laconic but that’s not a hanging crime.

Maybe the simplest explanation is he is one or two spots away from the 22.
He’ll play well in the VFL earn his way back and play well.

His tail end to last season saw great numbers and play by him. He’ll be back.

He actually was saying the actual team now is keeping him out, just the number of spots.

Further to that, this idea about being cut earlier got his professionalism was far more about him being very young and not realising his opportunities than being a bad egg.

These days he may very well come across as a bit laconic but that’s not a hanging crime.

If he is one or two spots away from the 22, wouldn't he have been an emergency last week?

This is the Sier story in a nutshell. Commentators are right to point out that Sier would be getting regular senior games in other teams, and Sier himself should take some confidence from this fact. Now he just needs to muster his self-belief and dedication in the cause of making our midfield, which he'd rightly see is a harder path but also (hopefully) a more rewarding one.

He can rip apart as many games as he likes but unless he can develop to play a different role he’s not going to knock Beams or Adams out of the team as the inside midfielders

Agreed, he needs to add another string to his bow. At the moment he is a pure midfielder that can only manage about 65% game time - it really limits our flexibility.

Beams will end up as a high flanker for mine, so I don't necessarily think he is completely done in by that recruitment. He probably needs to be taking the spot Greenwood currently gets if anything.

I think we need his size and presence around the ball he is one of the few players we have who does not get out muscled around the ball,probably De Goey is the only other one with similar traits but he will be used forward.

If he has to work harder so be it but he is a big part of our future he is the only midfielder we have to match the Cripp,s of the competition he just needs to focus again because I think we need him as a starting midfielder.

It really was quite recently that Collingwood almost cut him due to poor professionalism, he had 1 good preseason after that but its not hard to imagine he slipped into bad habits, especially when guys like C.Brown and even T Brown are picked ahead of him (jlt)

Not hard to imagine that he’s possibly off the pace but some on this board speak as if he shot his grandmother.

Regardless of attitude he’s had to make way for some stars joining the line up, on a last in first out basis.

Sier thread has 2 x no of pages as Grundy thread. Twice as many posts about a current fringe player as a proven, 1st picked player. Seems to me much of the Sier thread (all?) is speculation based on conjecture built around opinion laced with guesswork welded to hypothesis - carry on!

EFA

Last edited:
If he is one or two spots away from the 22, wouldn't he have been an emergency last week?
I don’t worry about that too much.

Usually it’s one or two players they have as carry over; one or two are extras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back