Past Brendan Fevola #2 (2010-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Brendan Fevola #2

Link

The AFL has quickly stepped in, putting its Sherlock Holmes (integrity officer Brett Clothier) on to the case. The Lions, desperate for salary cap relief and seemingly ready for a fresh start, might be relieved to wave him goodbye.

But a suspension is not a sacking so we should not start talking about Fevola in past tense just yet. He has his story and it seems he will stick with it. He might have witnesseses, too.

fevolay.jpg

Angry Lions set to sack Fevola
Caroline Wilson
September 9, 2010

The Brisbane Lions, privately disgusted with what they have been told and sensing the chance of a clean break from what has proved a damaging recruiting decision, have suspended Fevola indefinitely. The alleged victim, a football supporter attending a community day in Brisbane, remained unsure last night whether or not to press charges or make a full report to police.

But it is understood there were no witnesses to the latest incident, at which Fevola allegedly exposed himself and directed lewd comments at the woman, who had approached him in his car to autograph a football.
Fevola and several teammates were attending the event as a favour to Jonathan Brown’s cousin Shaun Mugavin, who plays for Queensland AFL team Morningside.

fevola.jpg

Link

The AFL will investigate allegations he indecently exposed himself to a 38-year-old mother of four at 1pm on Saturday in a suburban Brisbane park. The woman's children were about 50m away from the alleged incident. Fevola attended the non-club event with teammates Troy Selwood and Daniel Merrett. It is believed Selwood, delisted last week, is prepared to back Fevola's version of events.

As the disgraced star's career teeters on the brink, the Herald Sun can also reveal he is set to be charged within days over his boozy Brownlow bender a year ago that sent his life into freefall.

Player's worst outcome may be club's best result
Jake Niall
September 9, 2010

IN NORMAL circumstances, a club would only be horrified that a star player has left himself exposed - if that's the right word - to a police investigation and allegation of anti-social behaviour. The club would be saying very little and hoping that the police didn't charge the player. Usually, the club would wish that the matter would go away.

But Brendan Fevola is not a normal player, and nor are the circumstances of his club. The Brisbane Lions are appalled by Fevola's latest alleged atrocity, but they must also sense an opportunity to clean up a mess.

fevola1.jpg

Brendan Fevola axing would ease pressure on Brisbane Lions salary cap
  • Andrew Hamilton and Robert Craddock
  • September 09, 2010 12:00AM
Both the AFL and the Brisbane Lions have run out of patience with the controversial full forward and are prepared to cut him loose. Just being cleared by a police investigation will not be enough to save Fevola's career. If there is any evidence of misconduct, he will be sacked. Fevola was set to be paid $950,000 for the last two years of a three-season contract.

Even if he is not charged by police, the AFL could decide the constant scandals Fevola has been involved in throughout his career amount to bringing the game into disrepute and are grounds for being deregistered. It was how confessed drug addict Ben Cousins was banned for 12 months despite no positive drug test.

Show's over for Brendan Fevola, the grunge rock star of the AFL
  • Mike Sheahan
HANDS up those of you who were surprised by yet another sordid allegation in the extraordinary life and times of Brendan Fevola? Do I see a hand anywhere? ... anyone?

What a sad, sad story on so many fronts. Here's an athlete good enough to kick more than 600 goals at AFL level yet, at 29, he's probably going to exit the game with no club to call home, no money, no trade and, short of a complete change of attitude, an extremely bleak future.

fevola1.jpg

Rivals wary of damaged goods

• Jon Ralph
Gold Coast made it clear last night it would never consider recruiting him. Others were just as emphatic. "Not a chance. The word about him is just too damning," was the response from one well-placed club official.
If Fevola were to be sacked by Brisbane, but not deregistered by the AFL, he might be available at bargain basement rates.
More concerned than ever with image and player harmony, clubs yesterday said he was too much of a risk despite his talent.

fevola.jpg

Has Fevola finally destroyed his AFL career?
Julie Tullberg

Despite Fev being remorseful and vowing to clean up his act, there’s been nothing but controversy. The reality is Fev seems incapable of change - and adhering to society’s standards. The AFL and clubs should crack down harder on bad boys who threaten the game’s reputation with immature behaviour. And now’s the time to enforce stricter rules, so that left-field champions can’t get away with shocking behaviour.

fevola121o.jpg

Punting a long shot for Brendan Fevola
  • Jon Ralph
"I have had a kick with him before and though there is power there, he still kicks like an AFL footballer," Chapman said.
"Why don't AFL footballers kick torpedos all the time? Because their strike rate is about 25 per cent. "Nick Davis was a skilful player and a reasonable kick, but he didn't make it. Can Fevola kick it better than Sav Rocca? I would say no, and he (Rocca) had a huge fight on his hands to get into the NFL."

fevola7.jpg

Call for calm in Fevola scandal
Updated September 9, 2010 10:08:00

General manager of player relations at the AFLPA, Ian Prendergast, says the accusations against Fevola are still unclear and should be treated as such.
"It's been acknowledged that Fev has a colourful history, which has been well publicised," he said.
"I think it's important that Brendan's offered natural justice, as with any other player in this situation.
"If it's determined that an investigation is required by Queensland Police or the AFL, it's important that investigation takes place before we pass judgement on the matter."

Cleary lambasts AFL, Brisbane
Samantha Lane
September 9, 2010

THE AFL has already shirked responsibility when dealing with Brendan Fevola, and should take the same hardline on the poor treatment of women as it does to drug abuse, according to anti-domestic violence campaigner Phil Cleary.

''I found it hard to believe that after Brendan Fevola was accused of behaviour bordering on sexual harassment at the Brownlow he was signed by Brisbane without the Lions saying a single word about how his bullying was at odds with the culture of their club. Where were the strong and courageous men prepared to say publicly that such bullying wouldn't be tolerated at Brisbane?'' Cleary said yesterday.

Link

Fevola last night declared his innocence and vowed to explore legal channels to clear his name."It's bulls*** mate, I'm not even sure what they're saying I'm supposed to have done," Fevola said.
Asked yesterday about the allegations he exposed himself indecently to a woman and made lewd remarks, Fevola said: "Nah, that's not true mate, I hope nobody writes that because it didn't happen."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fev deserves chance to clear himself

Barry Dick
Thursday, September 09, 2010 at 10:12am

There is a growing and worrying trend in the Australian media and wider community to hang, draw and quarter people, especially sportspeople, without fair trial.

I don’t know if Brendan Fevola is guilty of what he has been accused of doing because I wasn’t there but I do know when a bloke is being stitched up without getting a real chance to clear his name.

Fev Crazy

Herald sun/Courier Mail are acting like a pack of vultures with this story, they have been waiting 9 months for something like this and they are squeezing everything out of it from all angles.

Look at how many Fev-related articles has popped up in the last few days :rolleyes: Circled in faint red.

FevMania.jpg

apologise about the size.

Police will not charge Fevola over Brownlow antics
Paul Millar
September 9, 2010 - 12:45PM

Victoria Police said this afternoon there would be no action against Fevola.
‘‘Police have reviewed the situation regarding Brendan Fevola and the incident last September, ‘‘ a police spokeswoman said.
‘‘We can confirm that Victoria Police will be taking no further action in relation to this matter,’’ she said

Link

VICTORIA Police have today backflipped over Brendan Fevola, saying he will not be charged over his drunken antics at the Brownlow.

"We believe that it would be unreasonable to take any further action on this matter so long after the events. We accept that the matter should have been dealt with in a much more timely manner, and the police member responsible will be counselled," a spokesman said.

"Brendan Fevola deserves to be treated in the same manner that we would treat any other member of the public, and we are clear that our decisions should not be influenced by his high profile status."

Link

And in a further statement just issued, a Victoria Police spokeswoman said: "The information provided to the Herald Sun last night about our intention to charge was done so in good faith and was based on the information obtained from the investigator.

"However, the police member's Superintendent reviewed the case this morning after being alerted to the length of time the investigation had taken and made a decision to take no further action."

If his career is indeed over, what on earth is he going to do job wise?....what money does he have, and does he even own a house anywhere??..

For some reason, even though I want him out of our club, I'm starting to feel sorry for him, and be concerned for his future.....All of which is his own doing I know, but..

What a waste his lifestyle has been, great talent which earnt him huge amounts of money....should be rolling in dough!...but he isn't..

A marriage + 3 kids he seems to adore, yet that appears to be over..

Has anyone tried to put him on a serious weekly budget?...he needs to learn the value of money....but then again, he'll get that pretty soon if he's out of a job..

Brendan is his own worst enemy I'm afraid..and nobody to blame but himself..

Link

BRISBANE insiders claimed that the club had begun compiling a "dirt file" on Fevola to justify moves to sack him.

TWO other women came forward alleging seedy confrontations with Fevola in bars in Melbourne and Brisbane.

Businessman Shaun Mugavin is the operations director of Good Sports Home Services, which held an open day in the suburb of Wakerley. Mr Mugavin said he had not received complaints about Fevola's conduct.
"Fev was excellent. I couldn't speak highly enough of him. He was fantastic," he said.

Link

Former Carlton premiership player Mark Maclure hoped he was rubbed out of the game and blamed the Blues for allowing his "shenanigans" to continue over a decade. "They should have nipped it in the bud earlier but he's a serial pest," Maclure told Fox Sports.
"I hope this is the last time.
"I think our brand has been hurt by this person's actions and it's time to finish it and move on."

fevola95.jpg

Link

AFL intervention is certain. Deregistration for bringing the game into disrepute likely, should a police investigation substantiate the most recent of so many tawdry accusations, of indecent exposure.

It is no longer the past, though, as much as the escalating current cost of Fevola's behaviour to both club and code that is now at issue. Queensland is a state deemed to be vitally important to the ambitions of the AFL and the Lions, the face of the game in the north for 15 years, have been distracted and, at times, obscured and even consumed by Fevola this year.

Link

But some witnesses yesterday contested the latest allegation made against him.One is believed to have contacted Brisbane police to provide his own version of events supporting Fevola.
It is believed the troubled star has told friends he was followed to the car by the woman, a Carlton fan, where he signed a football for her.
He says he did not indecently expose himself.
Another witness contacted the Herald Sun to say Fevola was pestered by the woman.
"The truth will come out," a source close to Fevola said.

More strange behaviour by Brendan Fevola
  • September 10, 2010 12:00AM
WORD has emerged of more bizarre behaviour by Brendan Fevola on the same day he allegedly exposed himself to a mother-of-four.

Fevola came up and licked the young woman's neck from behind, the source said. She objected. "Don't you know who I am?" Fevola said, straight out of the Belinda Neal playbook.

Robert Craddock

Now, less than a year later, it's effectively over. The divorce papers may take a while to get processed but the end result is clear – he won't play for Brisbane again. Brisbane will not say this publicly but they don't want him back and if they cannot sack him then the AFL is likely to jump over the top and take action. That is how furious they are. Fevola is poised to be effectively frogmarched out of the game.

fevola35.jpg

Sponsor doubts for Brisbane Lions in wake of Brendan Fevola scandal
  • Andrew Hamilton
THE Brisbane Lions have won an 11th-hour reprieve from disgruntled sponsor Bank of Queensland but face some serious fence-mending with a host of corporate partners who are angry at the negative publicity Brendan Fevola has brought the club.

Devine Homes is another long-term sponsor believed to be reassessing its involvement with the Lions. Johnson admitted the latest scandal was damaging to the Lions brand.

fevola75.jpg

No fair play in presumed guilt of Brisbane Lions star Brendan Fevola
  • Mike Colman
YEAH, but what if he didn't? Brendan Fevola, I mean. What if he didn't do what he's accused of doing? After all, there has to be a chance that he's innocent hasn't there?

Not that you'd know it from the way people have been talking. From talkback radio to TV street interviews you could be forgiven for thinking Fev had been filmed in the act, left fingerprints, DNA and a signed confession at the scene and sworn on a stack of Bibles that he was guilty, guilty, guilty.

If I didn't know better, one could almost be forgiven for thinking certain people want Fevola to be guilty. That way they can wave him goodbye from our fair city with a clear conscience.

fevola94.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Brendan Fevola #2 (2010-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back