Brendan McArdle - Call for Warney

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't necessarily agree with this for the following reasons:

Warne hasn't played international one day cricket for a long time

Warne will be bowling in the West Indies where he performed so badly the last time he went he was dropped and whinged to the press in a fit of pique

One day cricket is different, Warne won't be getting wickets with men all around the bat so he can build pressure and appeal incessantly which plays on the batsmen's minds

Warne has had a layoff since the tests and is believed to be indulging himself (understandably) in the good life. To play one day cricket you need to be fit and in shape

Warne's effectiveness in the field has decreased in recent times and he won't be able to 'hide' in first slip for the duration of an innings. Fielding is important and bear in mind McGrath and Hayden are already in the field for us

Warne is no longer the bowler he once was

There will be many teams from the sub-continent competing who won't be intimidated by spin on those tracks in those small arenas.

Warne could be disruptive given his recent comments about Buchanan and his training regime

Given Gilly's support of Buchanan and other odd remarks during the summer you wonder how popular Warne is with his teammates despite his outstanding record.

Warne will be bowling in the West Indies where he performed so badly the last time he went he was dropped and whinged to the press in a fit of pique

One day cricket is different, Warne won't be getting wickets with men all around the bat so he can build pressure and appeal incessantly which plays on the batsmen's minds

Warne has had a layoff since the tests and is believed to be indulging himself (understandably) in the good life. To play one day cricket you need to be fit and in shape

Warne's effectiveness in the field has decreased in recent times and he won't be able to 'hide' in first slip for the duration of an innings. Fielding is important and bear in mind McGrath and Hayden are already in the field for us

There will be many teams from the sub-continent competing who won't be intimidated by spin on those tracks in those small arenas.

Warne could be disruptive given his recent comments about Buchanan and his training regime

Given Gilly's support of Buchanan and other odd remarks during the summer you wonder how popular Warne is with his teammates despite his outstanding record.

Blah, blah, blah. I don't think I've ever read a post on this site with more dribble!:thumbsdown:

Champions step up when they need too. Australia are a different team with Warne. A much better one.

Blah, blah, blah. I don't think I've ever read a post on this site with more dribble!:thumbsdown:

Champions step up when they need too. Australia are a different team with Warne. A much better one.

unfortunately the simple answer to this is:

he wasnt in the original squad of 30 - he cant go!!!

I think if a guy is injured you can apply to draft someone in from outside the top 30.

As for my post being dribble, have you seen Warnie lately?

I think many of my points are valid. There comes a point when even champions are past their use by date.

And I think the word you were searching for might have been drivel.

I think if a guy is injured you can apply to draft someone in from outside the top 30.

As for my post being dribble, have you seen Warnie lately?

I think many of my points are valid. There comes a point when even champions are past their use by date.

And I think the word you were searching for might have been drivel.

I saw Warnie at the MCG on Sunday. Didn't look that bad at all considering. I assume you are talking about his physical condition?

All your points have another side to them.

Warne has been playing one day cricket with Hampshire for the last 3 years. Its not like he could just forget how to bowl in a 50 over match. His comeback performance in the Tsunami match a couple of years ago after a lengthy ODI lay off would also suggest he would have no problem adapting.

Warne doesn't need men around the bat to build pressure. He proved this before he retired from ODI's.

Warne has been "indulging himself in the good life" for the last 15 years!! Plus he has comeback from many breaks before, whether it be injury or suspension.

Australia rarely go without a first slip in ODI's. Plus when they do, Warne is a more than capable short cover fieldsman. I'm also pretty sure that the selectors wouldn't knock back an opportunity to play Warne due to fielding requirements! In that case, Jaques will never play for Australia.

Yes, I agree Warne probably isn't the player he was back in 94/95", but he is a much more effective and smart player as his figures would suggest from 96 to 2007. But thats been done to death. There really isn't any justifiable example to say he isn't the player he was in January. Maybe passion? That would soon change once he put the Australian colours back on.

Using the 1999 tour of the West Indies as reason of potential failure is just unfair and fairly silly. For a start, it was 8 years ago! Secondly, Warne was only just coming back from a serious injury. It was an injury that prevented him even practicing his craft for a long time. Probably made the mistake of coming back too early. Once he got his radar back though he was great. 1999 World Cup is fairly significant evidence of that. You can't seriously suggest that Shane Warne of all people would have confidence issues from a series 8 years ago. Its not hard to use short boundaries as an advantage either.

Warne has been at Buchanan for years. Its been a fact that they've never seen eye to eye and its never faulted Australia's or Warne's performances.

I really doubt that the players have any problems with Warne. Gilly's support of his coach has nothing to do with a grudge toward Warne. Once again, if there was a grudge, its had no effect on the on field performances. It was very well documented that the players wanted Warne to keep playing.

I'm just sick of the small percentage of people that say Warne has lost it/ can't do it/ won't do it etc, etc. Then they go on to use examples that are just clutching at straws. Its just dribble and drivel. He proves people wrong every time.

unfortunately the simple answer to this is:

he wasnt in the original squad of 30 - he cant go!!!
That's what I thought but....

The International Cricket Council has confirmed that Warne could be drafted into the Australian side, should a member of the 15-man squad be injured.

Link

Begs the question of why even bother with the 30 man squad?

you're kidding yeah? the bloke one a test match in 2 hours not even 3 months ago

not fit to bowl 10 overs????? the bloke bowled over 30overs a day in most tests last series.

get a clue:thumbsu:

Wow, one wonders how such a rubbish player ever took 700 Test wickets and dominated in World Cups.

:rolleyes:

Warnie is a cricket champion. He would rise to the occasion if necessary. I'm certainly warming to the idea of a one-day swansong for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Romeo you are ********ing clueless mate, all you seem to do is bag every player but as soon as one person says anything about your beloved KP you turn into a raging homicidal maniac. Warnie is a champion and the greatest bowler in history and is capable of winning the World Cup by himself.

Romeo you are ********ing clueless mate, all you seem to do is bag every player but as soon as one person says anything about your beloved KP you turn into a raging homicidal maniac.

So, so true.

He bags players like Warnie and McGrath, but as soon as anyone criticises the relative newbie KP, he raves on wild-eyed about 'how DARE anybody criticise KP WAAAAAAH'.

Unbelievable. Just nuts. It's sickening.

Great post Budda.

I've been throwing up this suggestion on the forum for some time now.

People occasionally post stats showing that HOgg's record in ODIs is actually quite similar to Warne's, but I don't think anyone with a sound knowledge of cricket would claim Hogg is Warne's equal - regardless of any form issues Hogg might be having.

It has appeared to me - and this is pure speculation from a total outsider - that Warne was told at some point that if he wanted to make a come back for the World Cup he had to make himself available for the ODi team a year out and had to undertake all sorts of riduculous training regimes etc. He should have been told - listen mate there is a spot for you, just give us the word.

No other contemporary bowler has Warne's abitliy to turn a match through skill and pure strength of mind - see Adelaide test and that World Cup Semi.

Unlike Australia's other aging warriors - McGrath, Gilly and Hayden - Warne's form has not wained at all over the last two years. Before everyone gets all excited I am not necessarily suggesting that McGrath, Gilly and Hayden are not the best avialable players for those positions but, umlike Warne, they are clearly on the decline.

The Australian team would be mroe formidable with Warne than without. Over the last six mataches Australia's problem has been an inability to take wickets and build any sort of pressure on the batting team. Warne has the capacity to do both better than anyone.

A woman on the train had a mag with pics of Shane (in budgie smugglers) and Simone in Fiji. He does look pretty fit. Wonder if he'd pass drugs tests?

All this get a clue, he won us the Adelaide test etc. etc. Do you guys realise that playing a one day match in the Caribbean in a form of the game he hasn't played internationally for many years now is quite different to playing a test match with men crowded around the bat.

Think back to that last day in Adelaide, men were put in close and he was playing against batsmen hellbent on defence. The men around the bat resulted in Strauss copping a dodgy decision which started the ball rolling for us. Then KP was bowled around his legs. Warnie wouldn't be doing that in a one day match.

The field will be scattered, grounds are small, pitches will be flat. Economy, as much as taking wickets will be the order of the day. It might have escaped your notice but Warnie this season was probably more profligate at any time in his career in Australia (and career full stop) unless you count his encounters with some star Indians. I'm sure those same Indians will not be intimidated by facing him in the West Indies. Ditto some of the other batsmen from the sub-continent. He also got most of his wickets against the Saffies last year from men poking at the ball to close-in fielders. And many of the decisions were clearly wrong. This won't happen in one day cricket.

And his failure to bowl well in the Windies is relevant. It was countered by the fact (from a poster) that this was 8 years ago. Has he improved from then? Will Lara (who's always played him very well) fear him more now?

Yes he's a champion and has generally stepped up to the plate when needed. But there comes a time when even champions can't do it anymore. If that wasn't the case we'd still have the likes of Steve Waugh strutting their stuff. He also said his body was so tired by the end of the Ashes that he needed a lot of time off so it would be possible for him to do justice to his Hampshire contract.

The call for Warne smacks of desperation.

And the news that Clark will be lumbering his away around the boundaries rather than the athletic Lee means having Warne (and with Symonds doubtful) would further weaken our fielding aspirations.

If Warne was really part of our plans something should have been done about it earlier.

And even McArdle talking about being muppet's nemesis was part nonsense. Warne got him out twice last year, once caught off the ARM to a close in fielder and the other to an LBW that was in the eyes of the commentators, universally missing half another set of stumps. Perhaps he should check the tapes. Interesting that people are so ready to swallow his drivel but can him if he writes drivel which offends one of their favourites.

You are clueless, Romeo.

It's amazing the criticism you dollop onto actual legends of the game, but you can't screech and bitch and whine and gurgle fast enough when somebody 'DARES' to criticise KP.

Without question, Warney could win us the World Cup.
Hasn't played a ODI for over 4 years, and has never bowled well in Caribbean. Last time he played test cricket there he was actually dropped IIRC.

Great player he was, but his time has past. Any other ideas are false delusions of grandeur.

I would have the biggest boner for the rest of my life if The Great Man made a come-back for the World Cup.

:rolleyes: FFS get a life, girlfriend, boyfried or something. A statement like that is just plain sad.

Well Likka I said a similar thing, got dropped in the Caribbean (and threw a wobbly because Stuey was taking his place) but apparently that's 8 years ago so he would bowl better now.

It's highly relevant that he hasn't played ODI's for such a long time. The people calling me clueless for mounting a cogent argument need to face reality themselves.

Well Likka I said a similar thing, got dropped in the Caribbean (and threw a wobbly because Stuey was taking his place) but apparently that's 8 years ago so he would bowl better now.

It's highly relevant that he hasn't played ODI's for such a long time. The people calling me clueless for mounting a cogent argument need to face reality themselves.

You didn't mount a cogent argument. You wrote off a champion based on a time when he was injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brendan McArdle - Call for Warney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back