Bumped Brenden Abbott

Remove this Banner Ad

What they say: "Brendan's a powerful kid who is strongly built with explosive speed and a raking left foot. Likes the physical stuff and can play in a variety of positions including forward a lot this year. He did some damage in front of goal but is just as at home across half back. He played about 15 senior games and missed out only when he was injured. Played on the state full back in one game against Swan Districts and kicked five goals on him so he can do some things other kids in the WAFL can't. I don't think it's an ability thing for Brenden," – Claremont talent development officer Darcy Coffey, Inside Football, November 2014.
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2014-12-03/rookie-draft-brenden-abbott

I like Hines comments on him and by the sounds of it, it's completely up to Abbott as to what he gets out of the game. It's cost us nothing but should mean everything to him as a player.

Having Marley here by the sounds of it will be good for both - unless of course they both now go on benders all weekend and cause trouble which unlikely but possible I guess.

Head down and fat bum up and he could be a real plus size for us.

I'm just happy that we seem to have addressed the lack of size and more so physicality at the contest with this seasons trades, drafts and rookies....oh, except for Varcoe and Armstrong I guess but I'll be honest and say that at their best they provide quality.
Happy to have a player like Varcoe on the list now that we've recruited several hard nuts.

As for Tony "Depth only" Armstrong.... meh.

Initial rookie contracts are 2 years I believe. He would have to stuff up pretty badly for us to terminate his contract early.

Could be wrong but I thought NDees were minimum 2 years, RD only had to be 1 year which is why clubs look at riskier options.

Plays back or forward, bigger, faster and kicks more goals than Blair - both started/ing as rookie so has potential to replace in defensive forward role in a few years.

Found some more information on him - I thought his name was familiar!

Well, we do attract them and you can't discriminate

View attachment 95462
He brings plenty of baggage...stashed with clean unmarked bills.
Also, plenty of pace & evasiness, can break lines & get out of tight situations using his speed & agility.

Obviously hope he is a success. But that video didn't seem anything special.
The problem with all the highlights of the WA boys is that the WAFL seems to be the most open, uncontested, low pressure competition in Australia.
All the opposition players do in all the highlight packages of every player is impersonate witches hats. I reckon I could get a kick (uncontested of course) in that league.

The players skills look good but they alwways seem to be under minmal pressure which diminishes how they appear.

Could be wrong but I thought NDees were minimum 2 years, RD only had to be 1 year which is why clubs look at riskier options.
You're correct. I still maintain that he would have to do something drastic (or sit on his arse and not do anything) to be delisted after only 1 season, especially since they have already acknowledged he is a project player.

SNOOP great pick up, he will take a couple of seasons to get fit and change his body shape and he will be a beauty for you.
I happen to know Brendan very well, he lives with a family friend in perth.
After he injured his leg and couldn't compete in the state testing he was very worried,
as WCE had stopped talking to him and hadn't had any contact from other clubs.
So glad Collingwood have given him a chance.
His kicking is very elite and so is his pace, endurance need lots of work and so do skin folds.

yeah thx pal. I am really pleased to get him. Clearly ticked the boxes our blokes would have put him through.I think there is a spot for him at HF with us in time. He can play vs men and shown can go well so a good pre season and some form in the trial games and who knows. Like Langdon he is ready to go if he can run 12-14km in a game.

Interesting not many state leaguers got a look in at all in this draft.

I'M JUST GOING TO STICK TO MY NICK NAME FOR HIM, THE BIG SHOW (Abbott)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with all the highlights of the WA boys is that the WAFL seems to be the most open, uncontested, low pressure competition in Australia.

Yeah I noticed that too. A lot of uncontested marks caused by opposition players misreading the flight and basic errors. He won't be getting cheap ball no more...

Yeah I noticed that too. A lot of uncontested marks caused by opposition players misreading the flight and basic errors. He won't be getting cheap ball no more...
I Beleive and my friends from vic who went over to play wafl that the burley footballs seem to float and make you look like a bigger kicker of the ball.
Just my friends opinion and mine.

All the opposition players do in all the highlight packages of every player is impersonate witches hats. I reckon I could get a kick (uncontested of course) in that league.

The players skills look good but they always seem to be under minmal pressure which diminishes how they appear.

There's more pressure in WAFL games than TAC games if you want to compare leagues. Players in WAFL are older and stronger bodies and have to cover more space because of the bigger grounds. Langdon last year was playing in the TAC as a 19 year old, same age as Abbot and would have found the standard much easier (till he moved up to VFL late in the season).

199280-d1e256c8-e07f-11e3-9096-801fbb4e8d9b.jpg

I like Hines comments on him and by the sounds of it, it's completely up to Abbott as to what he gets out of the game. It's cost us nothing but should mean everything to him as a player.

Having Marley here by the sounds of it will be good for both - unless of course they both now go on benders all weekend and cause trouble which unlikely but possible I guess.

Head down and fat bum up and he could be a real plus size for us.

I'm just happy that we seem to have addressed the lack of size and more so physicality at the contest with this seasons trades, drafts and rookies....oh, except for Varcoe and Armstrong I guess but I'll be honest and say that at their best they provide quality.

Must agree it is fundamentally up to Abbott. However, successful clubs must have enough faith in their support and coaching systems to believe they can make a difference. It is as much a test of Abbott's will as the professionalism of our football department.

Must agree it is fundamentally up to Abbott. However, successful clubs must have enough faith in their support and coaching systems to believe they can make a difference. It is as much a test of Abbott's will as the professionalism of our football department.
This doesn't sound good coming from a guy but he will look awesome ripped and leaner

Remove this Banner Ad

Bumped Brenden Abbott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back