MemberSince02

Rookie
Mar 30, 2008
Esperance
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Brendon Goddard has officially come out and stated that contract talks with St Kilda over a new 3 year deal are progressing well and he definitely wants to remain a 1 club player.

The article goes on to say that the deal will be worth around $600,000 a year over 3 years.

At least the club can now focus their attention elsewhere, if as has been widely reported for quite some time, FFC were genuinely looking to target him.

Tend to agree. Wasn't too keen on getting him either.

With regards to comapring him to Tom Scully, don't see any real comparisons. Scully is a lot younger (which comes with naievity and splash for cash) and don't believe he ever came out and said he is definitely going to stay at Melbourne.

Goddard does have that air of maturity and loyalty about him, so if he was considering leaving, I highly doubt he would make any comment at all before seasons end about wanting to stay loyal to St Kilda and how close the contract is to being signed. Doesn't come across as the type of person to say one thing and do another.

I may yet be proven wrong, but for mine, from what he said he is guaranteed to stay at St Kilda.

Here's the article and the key quotes

"As I've said all along, we've been in constant talks with the footy club and they are the discussions we're having at the minute and I think it's pretty clear what my intentions are," Goddard said.

"I've said all along I'm happy where I am."

I rate godard highly. If he came to freo, he would be our best player, but im kind of relieved if he doesnt come here, my logic being that by the time we are competitive or atleast pushing for top 4, he will be too old to be a part of the success anyway, cloke atleast is 25 and has another good 5 years in him.

Anyway, whilst we are on rumours and free agency, have heard a rumour that brent stanton is a little offended that the bombers have made such a fuss and big deal about signing long term deals with hurley, ryder and zaharakis yet they are acting more frosty with him, apparently he is feeling a little disrespected, id love to get stanton into our line up... hill on one wing, stanton on the next..... some running power there!

I rate godard highly. If he came to freo, he would be our best player, but im kind of relieved if he doesnt come here, my logic being that by the time we are competitive or atleast pushing for top 4, he will be too old to be a part of the success anyway, cloke atleast is 25 and has another good 5 years in him.

Anyway, whilst we are on rumours and free agency, have heard a rumour that brent stanton is a little offended that the bombers have made such a fuss and big deal about signing long term deals with hurley, ryder and zaharakis yet they are acting more frosty with him, apparently he is feeling a little disrespected, id love to get stanton into our line up... hill on one wing, stanton on the next..... some running power there!

No, he would not be our best player, and on current form he would be behind 10 or so others on the list, at least. (Clancee is having a better year than him this year)
Everything else, I agree 100%
I have a feeling we are working very hard on 2 or so others while letting the media whip up talk of the Cloke link, keep the cards hidden Bondy!

Actually, - maybe we are going hard at Cloke and Stanton - now that would be cough cough...delicious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should target Peake. We are good at re-recruiting our own, and we have so many players like him now it makes sense, so in a zany way it just feels like the way we roll.

Or we could try and draft Goddard and/or Cloke, and give away our draft picks - that makes a similar case for history repeating itself.

Cloke is the most over-rated forward in history. Goddard is a great versatile player, but he is not going to make us that much better. We simply need to develop our own, and stick to drafting. The best players on our list are.....wait for it.....ones we have drafted - apart from McPharlin.

Clinton Young anyone??

Yes! Papa Likes :thumbsu:. That's one of the better suggestions I've heard. He actually fits a need in our team too and in theory would be better value for money by a long way than pie in the sky hyped up names like Goddard and Cloke.

Is Young idea based on something substantial or just wishful thinking?

Based on him being an unrestricted free agent - dont know whether he's contracted, probably is due to the lack of keyboard noise.
But would be a good get..

The other mob went from 16th to top 4 in 12 months and the Crows could go from sacking their coach to minor Premiers in less than a year.

We could finish anywhere from 1st to 12th with or without Goddard in 2013 IMHO.

I think we should target Peake. We are good at re-recruiting our own, and we have so many players like him now it makes sense, so in a zany way it just feels like the way we roll.

Or we could try and draft Goddard and/or Cloke, and give away our draft picks - that makes a similar case for history repeating itself.

Cloke is the most over-rated forward in history. Goddard is a great versatile player, but he is not going to make us that much better. We simply need to develop our own, and stick to drafting. The best players on our list are.....wait for it.....ones we have drafted - apart from McPharlin.

:confused:
Goddard and Cloke are free agents, we don't have to give up draft picks to get them. Would be the same situation as McPhee and Kepler, no trade but a much better player.

We don't give them up but the losing club does get compensation picks from the AFL. So you are giving up draft order potentially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brendon Goddard off the table

Remove this Banner Ad

Back