Brent Prismall interview - 774

Remove this Banner Ad

In the end, none of the players can explain why they deliberately and systematically set out to mislead ASADA by not completing the declarations accurately.
The only explanation is that they absolutely knew, as a group, that they were up to something dodgy.
In this interview, Prismall is obviously again being economical with the truth, which is pretty typical of drug cheats.

Yes then the other question is did Hird know of injection regime? Of course he did and he should never have allowed it. If Sheedy, Knights or Hardwick (who lost out to Knights) was coach this never would have happened.

Nice one.

I've asked that question on this board many times, and nobody else from the Essendon camp has had the balls to answer it.

We part company, unsurprisingly, on the level of intent to cheat.

So Prismall says "I'm confident I asked all the right questions about the substances"
The next question anyone with even the slightest bit of intelligence would ask is: "So who did you ask?"
Did we get that question, no we didn't, Whateley just moves on to another subject
FMD a first year Journo would do better

The follow-up questions could even have required a simple Yes or No response
Like:
"Did you ask ASADA?"
"Did you ask the AFLPA?"
"Did you ask your Manager?"
"Did you ask Doc Reid?"
"Did you ask your own Doctor?"
"Did you ask your next door neighbour?"

Last edited:

So Prismall says "I'm confident I asked all the right questions about the substances"
The next question anyone with even the slightest bit of intelligence would ask is: "So who did you ask?"
Did we get that question, no we didn't, Whateley just moves on to another subject

Asking the difficult questions is easier said than done. I perfectly understand why a journo would not want to twist the knife on the first player who finally decides to talk to the media about this with some degree of frankness. Prismall said plenty, and he said plenty more by omission, regardless of the questioning falling short.

Like:
"Did you asks ASADA?"
"Did you ask the AFLPA?"
"Did you ask Doc Reid?"
Did you Google?

Asking the difficult questions is easier said than done. I perfectly understand why a journo would not want to twist the knife on the first player who finally decides to talk to the media about this with some degree of frankness. Prismall said plenty, and he said plenty more by omission, regardless of the questioning falling short.
We disagree, the questions don't necessarily need to be as aggressive as I have put them, but they need to be asked
IMV, the interview was just another wasted opportunity

There comes a point, regarding all players lack of disclosure to ASADA, where "Hmmm, I don't know why none of us said anything, but we weren't hiding anything" just doesn't cut it.

They are still going with this line, and not accepting that they were complicit; complicit in not getting independent advice, complicit in not reporting to ASADA.

I'm sorry, Brent, you seem a decent guy, but you're still a little blinded by the group narrative...

Last edited:
There comes a points regarding all players lack of disclosure to ASADA, where "Hmmm, I don't know why none of us said anything, but we weren't hiding anything" just doesn't cut it.

They are still going with this line, and not accepting that they were complicit; complicit in not getting independent advice, complicit in not reporting to ASADA.

I'm sorry, Brent, you seem a decent guy, but you're still a little blinded by the group narrative...

To go a bit further, I think that when most people heard of this omission to WADA they lost all sympathy for them (I certainly did).

If I remember correctly Mathews comments centred around he left it up to the medical professionals and trusted them to know what was in the injections which is perfectly reasonable.

To then suggest that means Matthews was completely removed from the program is a pretty long bow.

And then we have Essendon who;
  1. Didn't even bother to use medical professionals
  2. Consciously bypassed the medical professionals they did have
  3. Had numerous staff leave because they were not happy with the direction of the "supplements program"
  4. Internally renamed drugs
  5. "The financials" :rolleyes:

I'd also wonder if Matthews ever:
1. Invited the new sports scientist and his conditioning side-kick over to his house upon their appointment to their roles.
2. Had poolside meetings with said sports scientist and his supplier who Matthews knew to be a convicted drug importer.
3. Received regular texts updating him on the progress of their regime.
4. Sent emails requesting intervention on multiple occasions that another employee became concerned

There comes a point, regarding all players lack of disclosure to ASADA, where "Hmmm, I don't know why none of us said anything, but we weren't hiding anything" just doesn't cut it.

I be happy if they just came out and said we stuffed up. We all hate the ASADA tests, we just wanted it to be over and done with ASAP and never realised how important the forms are. We took a piss, signed the form without reading it and thought no more of it and paying the price now. Lesson to all athletes this is important take you time and give as much info as possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

considering the circumstances i think he aquitted himself quite well.

unlike say Heppell who comes across as in complete denial.

Gerrard missed a trick about the appeal - which is purely on technical details. Though it sounds like Prismall knows it will fail as everyone other than essendon players knows it will.

I be happy if they just came out and said we stuffed up. We all hate the ASADA tests, we just wanted it to be over and done with ASAP and never realised how important the forms are. We took a piss, signed the form without reading it and thought no more of it and paying the price now. Lesson to all athletes this is important take you time and give as much info as possible.

There may be legal implications if they basically admit they lied under oath to WADA. Whilst we'd all like them to come 100% squeaky clean they surely arent going to want to perjure themselves at this point in time.

Agreed, Much like Maria Sharapova tried to do.

I think Prismall was very up front in the interview, Up until the point where Whateley pushed on him about him being a drug cheat. Its the hardest thing for those players to admit and say "I am a drug cheat", because they were let down by the club, and the way they were caught means there is that small ray of hope that they aren't a drug cheat.

Once again though, the contrast from this interview and the Heppell one is huge. The players who have left the club have been let down, and they are the ones that need the most support as they transition into the next part of their life.

Agree. And the next player will say a little more. And one day a player will completely crack and spill everything. Patience peoples.

Like:
"Did you ask ASADA?"
"Did you ask the AFLPA?"
"Did you ask Doc Reid?"

"Did you ask Baltimore Jack"

In the end, none of the players can explain why they deliberately and systematically set out to mislead ASADA by not completing the declarations accurately.
The only explanation is that they absolutely knew, as a group, that they were up to something dodgy.
In this interview, Prismall is obviously again being economical with the truth, which is pretty typical of drug cheats.

So much 'Misleading' (spin, half-truths - Mexico/New Mexico - Doctor/Pharmicist) along this journey - I wish I had a dollar for every piece of smoke and mirrors that's been used in the saga - I'd be holidaying in the same places as the plethora of QC's that have topped their super up just nicely.

Timmy didnt show much compassion to Prismal on talking footy tonite, stíll wants answers on whether players took banned substances, classic

Yeah but if it is that cut and dried, then why did the senior players go to Hird early on demanding that the program was on the up and up. That was followed by Hird's protocol email to quieten the troops. Nobody is denying Dank, Robinson, and Hird claimed to the players early on saying how all the substances were approved.

I think there must have been a growing suspicion among the players, and by the Feb 2013, they were in survival mode with the efc top brass filling their heads with only god knows what.

OK, why didn't they tell ASADA? Why didn't they tell Doc Reid? There is only one person there that could have instructed them to do that whether they were in the know, or not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brent Prismall interview - 774

Remove this Banner Ad

Back