Brent Staker hangs up the boots

Remove this Banner Ad

Not by you, no, just seems the first page of every retirement thread at this time of year has a couple of these on it.

We all know Staker was no superstar, but he's had a better than average career, and not everyone can go out lifting a cup.

160 games is massive in the scheme of things

Do we really need a thread for every retired player? What about every delisted player? Every player who gets drafted?

Forums are people powered. If the thread if of interest, it floats, if it doesn't, it sinks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

160 games in total (110 games for West Coast and 50 for the Lions) is a reasonable career. Played some good football for the Lions, but as others have said was hindered by injury. Was recruited to act as a tall key position player and could play both down back and up forward.

Well why should the poor delistee miss out on this kind of tribute?

Because Staker is actually a name people know?

Played in 160 games, played in a GF, got knocked out by Barry Hall, kicked a couple of sealing goals.

Put it this way - Jake King got a thread. Brent Staker gets a thread.

First game back last year and kicks the sealer.

For me I'll always remember Staker more for this than the Hall KO. True fairytale stuff.

Talented player but injury plagued throughout his career. As said, eking out 160 is a good effort.

Do we really need a thread for every retired player? What about every delisted player? Every player who gets drafted?

Football players being discussed on the AFL board, the horror!

Way to steal the limelight from Chappy. I do not believe in coincidence.

Both of them hogging it from Schneider ;)

Good luck to Staker. Was always an awkward player as he seemed to be used as a #1 or #2 KPP when he really played like a #3. I still recall his comeback game against Essendon at Etihad last year. Was kicking them from everywhere!

Why shouldn't Staker get a thread?

He eked out 160 games despite numerous injuries, his career spanned more than twice as many years as the AFL average, he managed to get his name permanently etched on a locker at West Coast, and he was on the receiving end of one of the modern era's worst acts of violence on the field.

He's hardly a nobody.

Forums are people powered. If the thread if of interest, it floats, if it doesn't, it sinks.

Fair enough. Though for a while we weren't allowed to make threads about Adam Goodes even though it was of massive interest so this isn't always the case.

Because 150+ games is an acomplishment worthy of appreciation...?

What about just 100 games, is that worthy? 50 games? Where is the line?

Football players being discussed on the AFL board, the horror!

Hey it's fine, though I'll bet you I get shit on for offering my opinion about the relevance of this thread to everyone here "don't ruin the retirement thread etc".

Remove this Banner Ad

Brent Staker hangs up the boots

Remove this Banner Ad

Back