The_Trav

Senior List
Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Sturt. Leeds United
Now that Rocca has called a day on his below average career i believe it is fair to say that Brett Burton is now the most over rated superstar in the AFL. For a player who commentators and media pundits rave about as being such a star player he sure is shite. Apart from taking the odd mark over some spud in junktime, he has as much effect on a game of footy as a Dale Thomas or a Justin Westhoff. Both those players were also considered, along with others but they are still young enough to make something of their careers while when Brett Burton hangs up his boots either sometime in the next few weeks or at the end of next season he'll look back on his achievements which will read like this:

AFL Awards: Rising Star nominee 1999
Club Awards: leading goalkicker 2002, 2008
Brownlow Votes: 31

Premierships? 0. Grand Finals? 0. Best and Fairest awards? 0. Not exactly an achievement list belonging to a superstar of the game. With only 170 games of footy next to his name he is unlikely to challenge Rocca for the title of being the worst 200 game player in history. The Crows missed a huge opportunity to replace him last year when he did his knee but decided against it, keeping this rather dull career alive and allowing Birdman to rightfully take his place at the top of Spud Mountain.

Now that Rocca has called a day on his below average career i believe it is fair to say that Brett Burton is now the most over rated superstar in the AFL. For a player who commentators and media pundits rave about as being such a star player he sure is shite. Apart from taking the odd mark over some spud in junktime, he has as much effect on a game of footy as a Dale Thomas or a Justin Westhoff. Both those players were also considered, along with others but they are still young enough to make something of their careers while when Brett Burton hangs up his boots either sometime in the next few weeks or at the end of next season he'll look back on his achievements which will read like this:

AFL Awards: Rising Star nominee 1999
Club Awards: leading goalkicker 2002, 2008
Brownlow Votes: 31

Premierships? 0. Grand Finals? 0. Best and Fairest awards? 0. Not exactly an achievement list belonging to a superstar of the game. With only 170 games of footy next to his name he is unlikely to challenge Rocca for the title of being the worst 200 game player in history. The Crows missed a huge opportunity to replace him last year when he did his knee but decided against it, keeping this rather dull career alive and allowing Birdman to rightfully take his place at the top of Spud Mountain.

I'm not sure where you get the 'Superstar' reference from. it certainly wouldn't have come from the AFC or its supporters. Burton has had a career that many other players would love to have had, he's a consumate team man and has played a large part in many of our wins and has provided some spectacular moments. I fail to see why you would use him as a target. Perhaps i could suggest that you look a little closer to home with players like McVeigh. A self styled hard man who always fail to deliver when it counts or maybe Jobe Watson (speaking of over rated).

he has patches of brilliance which were more common in previous years but i'm inclined to agree he should have been let go last year and most definitely this year.

I'm not sure where you get the 'Superstar' reference from. it certainly wouldn't have come from the AFC or its supporters. Burton has had a career that many other players would love to have had, he's a consumate team man and has played a large part in many of our wins and has provided some spectacular moments. I fail to see why you would use him as a target. Perhaps i could suggest that you look a little closer to home with players like McVeigh. A self styled hard man who always fail to deliver when it counts or maybe Jobe Watson (speaking of over rated).

You must not listen when people are discussing the birdman. He is constantly referred to as a 'superstar'. Commentators calling Crows games try to spend all day convincing us he is a 'superstar', Crow fans are often referring to him as a 'superstar'. When he was returning from his knee injury he was reffered to on the news as 'Crows superstar'. Yet he hasnt gone close to achieving anything.

Jobe Watson overrated? All i constantly hear is how shit he is, which doesnt bother me to be honest. Just ask St Kilda how 'shit' Jobe is. McVeigh would've played in the 2000 premiership team had he not been injured and was amongst the front runners for the Brownlow last season before being injured. Much more than Birdman has ever achieved

Agree with all of this apart from what is bolded.

He is by no means a team player.

One of my least liked players. Not just for the Crows, but in the AFL.

I'm not sure where you get the 'Superstar' reference from. it certainly wouldn't have come from the AFC or its supporters. Burton has had a career that many other players would love to have had, he's a dobbing squealer and has played a large part in many of our wins and has provided some spectacular moments. I fail to see why you would use him as a target. Perhaps i could suggest that you look a little closer to home with players like McVeigh. A self styled hard man who always fail to deliver when it counts or maybe Jobe Watson (speaking of over rated).

Forgot to add dobbing squealer, i edited your post for more accuracy.

I remember when Burton was the one opposition player in the AFL that you wanted to have the ball in his hands because he was a monty to turn it over. He's improved from terrible to average, and I suppose can hang his hat on the ability to jump really high.

Was never really the player he should have been. Often times became a liability with his selfish play. But hey... he took some alright marks.... :eek:.

Forgot to add dobbing squealer, i edited your post for more accuracy.

Right out of the Brendon Lade play book. From memory Burton had a black eye, what was he supposed to say? He walked into a door, or was married to a Port supporter?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You must not listen when people are discussing the birdman. He is constantly referred to as a 'superstar'. Commentators calling Crows games try to spend all day convincing us he is a 'superstar', Crow fans are often referring to him as a 'superstar'. When he was returning from his knee injury he was reffered to on the news as 'Crows superstar'. Yet he hasnt gone close to achieving anything.

Jobe Watson overrated? All i constantly hear is how shit he is, which doesnt bother me to be honest. Just ask St Kilda how 'shit' Jobe is. McVeigh would've played in the 2000 premiership team had he not been injured and was amongst the front runners for the Brownlow last season before being injured. Much more than Birdman has ever achieved

Rubbish, they use the word 'star' not superstar, the difference being a better than good player versus someone who is/was elite. Which is a good way of describing him, capable of anything but doesn't have the game week in week out.

And opposed to say Rocca and Westhoff, he's not a KPP so it's not even true comparator.

I think it's fair to say that The Trav is a:

e874e95bcc208059.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Brett 'Birdman' Burton is the new Anthony Rocca

Remove this Banner Ad

Back