Analysis Brett Deledio’s trade from Richmond to GWS Giants explained, including Simon Katich influence

Remove this Banner Ad

Lids a real star on and off the field. Once he decided to leave, he did all he could to help facilitate a trade for the club.

He could have held the club to ransom, but was prepared to look at other options to get a good deal for the club. Will always be one of my favourite tiger players and hope he does well at GWS.

Last edited:

This is a classic win-win. And I have to say I am impressed with Hardwick's role in this, as much as anybody else's. Hopefully Deledio gets a premiership medal. And a few years after that, the 2017 first round pick that came to Richmond via this trade gets a premiership medal too.

Win/win trade for both clubs.
Wish Lids all the best.
Gave us a lot for someone who grew up as a Carlton supporter.

Now's not the time for character assassinations. :)

yeah a masterstroke of genius, I mean no one in their right mind would ever have thought that GWS has more to offer us..:drunk:

Players are often guided by their managers, not their soon to-be-ex coaches....

Everyone thought it would be cats but DH was one suggesting a different path. One that Lids didn't favour initially... You can't fault someone for being right.... Actually, maybe YOU can ;)

The article missed the bit where Deledio approached Geelong while the 2016 season was still live, asking to be traded in, as confirmed by both Stephen Wells and Dan Richardson. That happened before Deledio went on radio to say that trade talk "was just noise", so I conclude that "Our Lids" was bullshitting us all for months.

The Age also reported that Deledio cleaned out his locker before the Geelong trade evaporated, but who knows if that is true or not.

I don't know what happened "inside our four walls", but I don't believe for a second that it involved everyone working harmoniously together for a win / win, as suggested.

Worked out well. Except is Lids is important in GWS beating us in the GF.

That's at best a 50:50 prospect, so don't worry about it yet. GWS might fall off.

Sounds like Lids wanted out, but not at the cost of bad things to the Tigers. So we won, he won. everybody happy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The article missed the bit where Deledio approached Geelong while the 2016 season was still live, asking to be traded in, as confirmed by both Stephen Wells and Dan Richardson. That happened before Deledio went on radio to say that trade talk "was just noise", so I conclude that "Our Lids" was bullshitting us all for months.

The Age also reported that Deledio cleaned out his locker before the Geelong trade evaporated, but who knows if that is true or not.

I don't know what happened "inside our four walls", but I don't believe for a second that it involved everyone working harmoniously together for a win / win, as suggested.

The cleaning out his locker thing was a stupid statement that everyone took literally. They basically meant there was no turning back for him because he had made his mind up and it was set in stone. Nobody argued, apart from maybe Katie and Grigga, what I mean is nobody who had the power to make him stay was arguing to make him stay.

He's on good terms with Dimma and at least the large majority of the playing group including the 'leaders' so there may be something else at play.

I still think it was a mutual decision.

Injured again, elite player almost 30 with no success, club with off-field/board drama, small rebuild badly needed.

Lids did make the first move and jump, but he did it before he was pushed. Lids says 'I'm going' and the club says 'Oh no please don't leave....so you're going to GWS, right?' *licks lips*

Dan Richardson harping on about them wanting Lids to buy into their plan is all bullshit, the rebuild is far stronger now that he's gone.

Big ups to Stevie J, Wocka, Leon and Dimma for encouraging him to join the team that landed us another juicy first rounder.

First time I've seen him in GWS' colours and I've gotta say that he looks like a winner.

Only reason he ended up at GWS was because a whole heap of us changed our team colours to Giants over the finals

The thing about the Lids trade that stands out like dog's balls - we're paying part of his contract to play for GWS! WTF?! Rationalise it all you like, but we're paying for the most accomplished and skilled player to play in our colours in the last ten years to play for another club. That is a fail. Who is at fault here? Lids or the club?

PS. If you've followed my posts, you know I love Lids. Trading Lids is one thing. Trading Lids and paying part of his contract makes no sense unless there is a real problem here and the trade is the solution.

Last edited:
The thing about the Lids trade that stands out like dog's balls - we're paying part of his contract to play for GWS! WTF?! Rationalise it all you like, but we're paying for the most accomplished and skilled player to play in our colours in the last ten years to play for another club. That is a fail. Who is at fault here? Lids or the club?

PS. If you've followed my posts, you know I love Lids. Trading Lids is one thing, trading Lids and paying part of his contract makes no sense unless there is a real problem here and the trade is the solution.
Nailed it.

PS. If you've followed my posts, you know I love Lids. Trading Lids is one thing. Trading Lids and paying part of his contract makes no sense unless there is a real problem here and the trade is the solution.

How much are we paying?

Actually it makes perfect sense. No team is going to give a first rounder for an injury prone 29 year old other then gws. GWS have cap issues if we didn't pay some of his salary we say goodbye to that 1st rounder

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Brett Deledio’s trade from Richmond to GWS Giants explained, including Simon Katich influence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back