Brian Cook's links to Hawthorn and the Scrimshaw family

Remove this Banner Ad

essaynode

Senior List
Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Fascinating piece from the Herald Sun and Mick Warner on Brian Cook. Some interesting notes:

1. Brian Cook could have been the AFL CEO instead of Demetriou.

"But in a decision that legendary Sydney chairman Richard Colless would later rue as the game’s sliding doors moment, AFL Commission chairman Ron Evans lobbied hard at the death for Demetriou. That was July 2003, and how different football might have been. “I did think at one stage that I was up there, but it wasn’t to be,” Cook says. Headquarters’ loss was clubland’s gain."

2. Cook has links to Box Hill

Football became his focus and by 18, Cook was playing seniors for Box Hill in the VFA.

3. Cook has links to the Scrimshaw family

“I thought I had some ability and decided just to turn up at Hawthorn one day with a friend, Ian Scrimshaw,” he says.

4. Cook played 50 reserves matches for Hawthorn during the John Kennedy era

“No one asked me down, but I was a pretty determined young fellow. I ended up making the senior squad after playing pretty well in the practice games.” But it was the great John Kennedy-Leigh Matthews era and after 50 reserves matches Cook made a move to Melbourne.

5. Cook has good memories of Don Scott

“No one spoke to John,” he quips. “I had two years there and spoke to him maybe twice. Leigh Matthews was no different, I can’t even remember speaking to him (laughs) but Scotty (Don Scott) was good to me.” Scott recalls a fit and fearless player, who was low on pace. “Cooky was just a goer. And I appreciate people who just have a go, because a lot of people don’t,” Scott says.

Source: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/72ba3623205adf20556d69de3c8fc648

Remove this Banner Ad

Brian Cook's links to Hawthorn and the Scrimshaw family

Remove this Banner Ad

Back