Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Last week we got the group pic on the board via hashtagging it.

Now, if everyone in the group pic or who has seen the group pic did the same it could spend a lot of time up there.

Good. I bloody missed it.
Though I might be describing the billboard incorrectly. I'm thinking around the boundary fence and the facia of the stands where we often see the PA logo rolling through, are we referring to the same thing?

Good. I bloody missed it.
Though I might be describing the billboard incorrectly. I'm thinking around the boundary fence and the facia of the stands where we often see the PA logo rolling through, are we referring to the same thing?

No, I’m only referring to the big screen.
No chance of the other areas as they are sold sponsorships or totally club controlled.

It would require the club to grow a pair.

You can wear your Indigenous guernsey. Then you can wear it at home if you played away the first time. Then you can wear it in NAIDOC week if you like.

You can wear special charity guernseys for a thousand different causes.

You can wear heritage guernseys to honour your club's VFL heritage.

You can have Never Surrender guernseys for local derbies.

You can wear guernseys that clash with the opposition's.

You can wear the same colours as other teams (Brisbane/GC/Adelaide and Carlton/Geelong), even if you're in the same market as them.

You can probably even wear a Stealth guernsey if you like.

But don't, whatever you do, ever, under any circumstance, wear a guernsey that you've worn for 100 years that is the same colour with vague design similarities to another club from a different market, not even against them. That's where we draw the line.

But don't, whatever you do, ever, under any circumstance, wear a guernsey that you've worn for 100 years that is the same colour with vague design similarities to another club from a different market, not even against them. That's where we draw the line.

*However it's okay if other clubs wear designs(that they have a relatively tenuous link to) that have the same colours and vague design sensibilities to another club from a different market. It's only if the guernsey is incredibly deeply rooted in the fabric of your club that it's not allowed.

Hopefully this precedent can carry over to a national reserves league. If not, I think we have strong legal grounds to wear it.
The AFL only recognise precedent when it supports the decision they want to make.

You can wear your Indigenous guernsey. Then you can wear it at home if you played away the first time. Then you can wear it in NAIDOC week if you like.

You can wear special charity guernseys for a thousand different causes.

You can wear heritage guernseys to honour your club's VFL heritage.

You can have Never Surrender guernseys for local derbies.

You can wear guernseys that clash with the opposition's.

You can wear the same colours as other teams (Brisbane/GC/Adelaide and Carlton/Geelong), even if you're in the same market as them.

You can probably even wear a Stealth guernsey if you like.

15 decades of grass roots, working class history

Flagrant shilling for your newest corporate overlords:whitecheck:
D1c4hs-U4AMc3Di.jpeg

15 decades of grass roots, working class history

Flagrant shilling for your newest corporate overlords:whitecheck:
View attachment 1444988

"We are the navy based on a North American candy kind of like Smarties Blues, we are the new slightly pale, teal Blues......."

656298-carlton-039-s-1997-m-amp-m-jumper.jpg

*However it's okay if other clubs wear designs(that they have a relatively tenuous link to) that have the same colours and vague design sensibilities to another club from a different market. It's only if the guernsey is incredibly deeply rooted in the fabric of your club that it's not allowed.
The last few weeks the orange on the Carlton guernsey keeps making me think that GWS are playing. Even when the highlights/footage comes on for other shows I immediately think it's GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The EF in the Bars was just so bloody good ... and so bloody right!
THAT’S the Port Adelaide Football Club I grew up with and loved.

That’s the Bob McLean style of boss at work - telling the AFL to go to hell, we’re wearing the Bars!

Edit: It hasn’t happened since.

Last edited:
Imagine the roar if out of nowhere we run out in the PBs for the Showdown in R23. Stick a big fat middle finger up at the Victorians, go on and win the game and then laugh as they dock us premiership points, fine us or take draft picks off us. And then do it again in R1 next year.

Another thing we should be doing is publicly announcing that from now on we will be sending the AFL a yearly invoice for the total profit we anticipate we miss out on from not being able to sell the PB guernseys. And then send them an invoice and when they don't pay it question publicly why the AFL doesn't pay its creditors.

Another thing we should be doing is publicly announcing that from now on we will be sending the AFL a yearly invoice for the total profit we anticipate we miss out on from not being able to sell the PB guernseys. And then send them an invoice and when they don't pay it question publicly why the AFL doesn't pay its creditors.
In other words we ought to be challenging the AFL on a Restraint of Trade basis and putting a value to our claim based on what the Club earned from the Bars in 2020.

I fully agree with that.

Probably need to get out of debt & off the tit before we ever challenge the AFL on this legally.

I disagree - doing this will increase our already healthy revenue and profit and further boost our assets.
  • Statutory profit of $4,755,884
  • Profit from operating activities before depreciation $5,714,278
  • Revenue up 24 per cent to $49.3 million
  • Strong balance sheet underpinned by Total Equity of $14.9 million
  • Football department fully funded

Q: If you own your own home and have a $10k debt on it and earn $50k a year, how worried are you about the debt?
A: You are not

The debt is just filibustering.

Imagine the roar if out of nowhere we run out in the PBs for the Showdown in R23. Stick a big fat middle finger up at the Victorians, go on and win the game and then laugh as they dock us premiership points, fine us or take draft picks off us. And then do it again in R1 next year.

I want this to happen because I don't think there is any other solution but I firmly believe that the AFL would take action heavier than they did with Carlton and Essendon. I reckon what has happened is that the AFL has warned our club that they will refuse to discuss the Bars again, forever, if the club doesn't shut up and take it behind closed doors. To me it means that the AFL did have an issue with us wearing it after that match, and are punishing us for it by not agreeing to give us a match this year.

I want this to happen because I don't think there is any other solution but I firmly believe that the AFL would take action heavier than they did with Carlton and Essendon. I reckon what has happened is that the AFL has warned our club that they will refuse to discuss the Bars again, forever, if the club doesn't shut up and take it behind closed doors. To me it means that the AFL did have an issue with us wearing it after that match, and are punishing us for it by not agreeing to give us a match this year.

Let them do what they want. If they want to give us penalties equivalent to systemic doping and salary cap cheating for wearing a piece of cloth that any fair minded person would agree we should be able to wear every week then that's on them. Public opinion will fall our way exclusively.

It's a nothing issue. The only reason it's still an issue is because we have allowed ourselves to be bullied by the AFL for 25 years. It will only stop when we stand up for ourselves and refuse to be bullied.

The AFL aren't going to significantly compromise the integrity of the competition over a playing strip. Our leverage is that we care about this way more than anyone else. It's time to use that leverage.

A board acting in the interests of its members would just wear it and force the AFL to punish us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back