News Brisbane lions / Fitzroy Heritage jumper round 12 vs western bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting my Fitzroy fix at the moment - Channel 7 showing Richo highlights and they've got Richmond v Fitzroy, Round 21, 1996. Heard Malcolm Blight comment that Matthew Primus "is sure to get picked up by another club for next year"... bet nobody thought he'd be a future coach.

Getting my Fitzroy fix at the moment - Channel 7 showing Richo highlights and they've got Richmond v Fitzroy, Round 21, 1996. Heard Malcolm Blight comment that Matthew Primus "is sure to get picked up by another club for next year"... bet nobody thought he'd be a future coach.
Jesus, watching that game must be like torture.

Seeing a hundred year old club play its last ever game in its native city, while being flogged, must be a horrible watch.

Poor Fitzroy.

I bet nobody thought some of these blokes would be pivotal to a triple premiership side within 10 years either.

Just looking at that photo, it looks alright doesn't it? I like it.

Seeing a hundred year old club play its last ever game in its native city, while being flogged, must be a horrible watch.

Try actually being there. Definitely the most emotional day I've experienced in football.

And strictly speaking it was Fitzroy's last ever VFL-AFL game. Not "its last ever game in its native city."

Fitzroy's last game in its' native city was yesterday.

And we lost.

But there's still always next week.

Please. Fitzroy is dead at afl level. 97-00. Besides the 4 roys boys who headed upto brisbane what aspect of brisbane was fitzroy? Besides mabye 1 family day a year? 01-04 all those roys supporters who didnt follow "roys" upto brisbane started to have a soft spot for the lions. By 2001 sunday after gf brunswick st was full of "brisbane lions" supporters.

It took brisbane lions fc until 2008 or 09 to make a jumper that represented the old "fitzroy" (1995 ansett cup lion & 1996 colors) why did this not happen in 1997 why did it take until 2009? Imo the answer is the marketing department at brisbane lions fc. From 2000-2007 lions had some bloody ugly away jumpers.

Once again this jumper is taking the so called fitzroy heritage they seemed to disregard in 1997 as take is as a cash grab/ marketing excersise.

Imo the only fitzroy going is the team that plays ammo's

Brisbane only want to use the fitzroy heritage when it works to there advantage

Try actually being there. Definitely the most emotional day I've experienced in football.

And strictly speaking it was Fitzroy's last ever VFL-AFL game. Not "its last ever game in its native city."

And we lost.

Do you have to kill everything with this "Fitzroy still play in the VAFA.." disclaimer? It makes every post robotic and, to be honest, patronising. I acknowledge and realise that the Fitzroy Football Club who played in 1996 still exist as the same entity.

I realise how dispiriting it is to not have your club at the level it probably should be. But it's slightly aggravating for you to continually use this disclaimer...

Jesus, watching that game must be like torture.

Poor Fitzroy.

I was there that day... I'd been earlier in the season to the Western Oval where Richmond won by 92 points over the Lions. I remember the Roys had cheerleaders. I also remember the WO mongrels didn't play the Richmond song before the game! Richo kicked 7, one of them he almost put onto Geelong Road.

But Round 21... Richmond desperately trying to make the finals... we needed all the percentage we could get really. And we'd been a finals team the year before. So we went out and played as usual... Richo got another 7, Brendon Gale got 6, Matthew Rogers 4... 151 points the final margin. It was just carnage for the Lions. But everyone stayed and gave Fitzroy a rousing farewell, not knowing what the future might hold. We picked up three Fitzroy players in the draft in the off season (Frewen, Baldwin, Manfield) and one or two others on the supplementary list.

I bet nobody thought some of these blokes would be pivotal to a triple premiership side within 10 years either..

Chris Johnson went on to big things, enough said.

At the other end of the scale, someone like Marty Warry. He kicked 3 goals of Fitzroy's 5 against Richmond, and got 4 against Fremantle the following week. Then his career was abruptly ended by his team folding... nobody picked him up.

Please. Fitzroy is dead at afl level.
It took brisbane lions fc until 2008 or 09 to make a jumper that represented the old "fitzroy" (1995 ansett cup lion & 1996 colors) why did this not happen in 1997 why did it take until 2009?

Totally agree.

And we lost.

Do you mean Fitzroy in the VAFA or the Lions, who merged with Brisbane, and whilst based in that city, are still Fitzroy to their supporters?

Interesting note.
Fitzroy got beaten by Essendon Grammar, Brisbane got beaten by Essendon.

Do you have to kill everything with this "Fitzroy still play in the VAFA.." disclaimer? It makes every post robotic and, to be honest, patronising.

Yep. When people make incorrect statements about the Roys I'm going to say it. Too bad. If not for your benefit then other people may one day understand.

I acknowledge and realise that the Fitzroy Football Club who played in 1996 still exist as the same entity.

Then you would realise that your statement that a "hundred year old club play its last ever game in its native city" was incorrect. Fitzroy's last game in its native city was on Saturday out at Keilor.

I realise how dispiriting it is to not have your club at the level it probably should be. But it's slightly aggravating for you to continually use this disclaimer...

Then make it clear that Fitzroy played its last ever VFL-AFL game in 1996. Not "last ever game" period.

Please. Fitzroy is dead at afl level. 97-00.

Errr...yes. I was referring to Fitzroy...not Brisbane. Fitzroy played last Saturday afternoon...and lost.

Besides the 4 roys boys who headed upto brisbane what aspect of brisbane was fitzroy? Besides mabye 1 family day a year? 01-04 all those roys supporters who didnt follow "roys" upto brisbane started to have a soft spot for the lions. By 2001 sunday after gf brunswick st was full of "brisbane lions" supporters.

It took brisbane lions fc until 2008 or 09 to make a jumper that represented the old "fitzroy" (1995 ansett cup lion & 1996 colors) why did this not happen in 1997 why did it take until 2009? Imo the answer is the marketing department at brisbane lions fc. From 2000-2007 lions had some bloody ugly away jumpers.

Once again this jumper is taking the so called fitzroy heritage they seemed to disregard in 1997 as take is as a cash grab/ marketing excersise.

Imo the only fitzroy going is the team that plays ammo's

Err....yes. I'm a Fitzroy Football Club member and a Brisbane Lions member and have been for years. I know the difference between the two. Unfortunately not everyone does though.

Do you mean Fitzroy in the VAFA or the Lions, who merged with Brisbane, and whilst based in that city, are still Fitzroy to their supporters?

Fitzroy in the VAFA. I think most Brisbane Lions supporters who came from Fitzroy understand that the Fitzroy Football Club formed in 1883 is a different club to the Brisbane Bears / Lions.

Brisbane use elements of Fitzroy's AFL identity and commemorate Fitzroy's VFL-AFL history. That's all.

What was the atmosphere like there, Roylion?

Very sombre where I was sitting. The two most emotional parts of the day were the parade of champions before the senior game and after the final siren sounded. I vividly remember Roos and Pert in the same car with their kids in Fitzroy jumpers and Kevin Murray. At the end of the game I ran out on the ground with a lot of other Roys supporters. Some guy burnt a Fitzroy jumper about 20 metres from where I was. I've never seen so many people in tears before, during and after any game of football I have ever attended before or since. That included grown men, women and kids. I remember lots of children/teenagers crying.

For me the day was a mixture of anger and sadness and to tell you the truth the match itself became a bit of a blur. It was hard to believe that Fitzroy would never be playing in an AFL match again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there ever a chance fitzroy could resume at vfl level? I know they merged with coburg in 2000 & it fell right in the arse sadly but whos to say it couldnt work now. Frankston-fitzroy dolphins?

Also a quick question what happened in 1997 did brisbsne lions play in the vsfl? Im guessing if they did there would have been a few old roys playing in that team?

Is there ever a chance fitzroy could resume at vfl level?

There's a chance I suppose. Remote at the moment though.

I know they merged with coburg in 2000 & it fell right in the arse sadly

They didn't merge with Coburg. They sponsored Coburg and in return Coburg adopted the name "Fitzroy" and wore a Fitzroy jumper in their away games. This was done in the hope of luring some of Fitzroy supporter base to support Coburg, who were struggling financially.

but whos to say it couldnt work now. Frankston-fitzroy dolphins?

I doubt Fitzroy would want to play in the VFL, given that essentially it is an AFL reserves side. In any case it would cost a million dollars a year to run and Brunswick Street Oval is not up to VFL standard. Getting to Premier A in the VAFA is the aim of the club at the moment.

Also a quick question what happened in 1997 did brisbsne lions play in the vsfl?

Not to my knowledge.

Also a quick question what happened in 1997 did brisbsne lions play in the vsfl? Im guessing if they did there would have been a few old roys playing in that team?

Brisbane Lions reserves played in the QAFL, then AFLQ, and now in the NEAFL. By 1997, the VSFL was an 11-team competition (all Victorian teams + Sydney).

Still remember Richmond winning the 1997 Reserves premiership over Hawthorn. Former Fitzroy player Jason Baldwin gave the victory speech as co-captain of the Tigers (with John Howat).

I voted for option 3 (quite a few times) as it was the only one that half resembled one worn by Fitzroy.

Option 1 and 2 never had the FFC monogram. Option 1 was terrible (since it should have had yellow in it to be accurate).

Option 3 isn't perfect because the blue doesn't go down enough but it is a million times better than the first two options which had no historical basis at all.

VERY HAPPY. I WILL BE BUYING ONE!:)

I voted for option 3 (quite a few times) as it was the only one that half resembled one worn by Fitzroy.Option 1 and 2 never had the FFC monogram. Option 1 was terrible (since it should have had yellow in it to be accurate).

Option 3 isn't perfect because the blue doesn't go down enough but it is a million times better than the first two options which had no historical basis at all.

VERY HAPPY. I WILL BE BUYING ONE!:)
Is that an attempt at comedy? It's hard to tell.
Option 3 was the one that least resembed anything worn by Fitzroy.

Yes you can I have ordered the 1 closest to anything the Roys ever wore

I just got a phone call from the lions shop, RE: the heritage jumper.
As a "registered voter" (whatever that means, maybe because I filled out the bottom) I have the chance to purchase either of the losing jumpers for $159.
They said I could order as many as I liked (both types or varying sizes etc.) and that it was not available to the general public, just the registered voters.

Speaking to family now to see if they want some and it looks like the club will make 1k just off us! (for the option 1 jumper of course)

They could, but there's something sacrilegious about Brisbane getting rich off Fitzroy jumpers.

Maybe Fitzroy (VAFA) should make and sell Brisbane Bears jumpers.

Is that an attempt at comedy? It's hard to tell.
Option 3 was the one that least resembed anything worn by Fitzroy.

So I was wrong. Option 1 won... :(

But no I was not joking. How is a guernsey that never existed in those colours and never had the FFC monogram authentic in the slightest???

Option 3 is basically the same as the one worn from that era. You clearly don't know what the options were.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Brisbane lions / Fitzroy Heritage jumper round 12 vs western bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back