News Brisbane lions / Fitzroy Heritage jumper round 12 vs western bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

They owned a couple of pubs, and all their memorabilia was there.
One was in Fitzroy or close to it, and the other was in Bulleen near Marcellin College.
Last time I went to the Bulleen one they had some Fitzroy stuff, and had added Brisbane to it.
Then whatever else is in the club museum and shop at Mordialloc.
What I clearly remember was the Bulleen one has a lace-up Maroon jumper with chamois re-inforcing from the early 1900s.

memorabilia has really only been a subject of interest since the 90s.
When Fitzroy moved from the Junction Oval there was plenty of stuff they just chucked out.

They owned a couple of pubs, and all their memorabilia was there.

They owned the Fitzroy Club Hotel (now the Albion Charles Hotel) at the junction of St.Georges Road and Merri Parade. Yes, most of Fitzroy's memorabilia was kept here.

and the other was in Bulleen near Marcellin College.

No. This was the Brisbane Lions Victorian Social Club (also known as the Manningham Club). This has little to nothing to do with Fitzroy, other than it was in Fitzroy's old recruiting zone).

Then whatever else is in the club museum and shop at Mordialloc.

Yes. As Brisbane legally own Fitzroy Football Club's memorabilia as it existed in 1996, now at Etihad and the Gabba) the Fitzroy memorabilia at the Fitzroy Shop and Museum has been accumulated from other sources since 1996. As such Brisbane have no claim to any of that.

Well that Fitzroy lace-up was definitely out at Bulleen.
It was framed, on a wall with 5 or 6 other Fitzroy jumpers.
So there must be some involvement with the two clubs.

By the terms of the Deed of Arrangement, Brisbane own a great deal of Fitzroy memorabilia. It may well have been one of the heritage jumpers from 1996, which would have been then transferred to Brisbane, or Brisbane had the jumper made for 'The Lions Den'. I saw the jumpers quite a while ago, but can't remember which it was off the top of my head.

Whatever the case, Fitzroy Football Club has had nothing to do with the Bulleen establishment, before or after the 'merger'.

By the terms of the Deed of Arrangement, Brisbane own a great deal of Fitzroy memorabilia. It may well have been one of the heritage jumpers from 1996, which would have been then transferred to Brisbane, or Brisbane had the jumper made for 'The Lions Den'. I saw the jumpers quite a while ago, but can't remember which it was off the top of my head.

Whatever the case, Fitzroy Football Club has had nothing to do with the Bulleen establishment, before or after the 'merger'.

It sounds like u really hate brisbane. I was thinking about this the other day. If "hypothetically" fitzroy were still around today as a afl club i wonder what it would be like? Would it have 25,000 + members? Have world class trainin facilities? Be debt free? Ive read 2 or 3 fizroy books about there merger & it all boiled down to money. But ya look these days & the afl is currently propping up 5 afl clubs. Its sad that if they were in financial strife a decade later 2006 insted of 96 they would have been propped up :-(

No, this was canvas, old, shrunken and magnificent.
You could see the chamois re-inforcing and the leather laces.
Had I a slightly lower sense of public good and morailty, it would be at my place right now.
(actually, refer to the What is Your Whale thread, this was my Whale)
it was none of the fake printed pieces of crap that pass as footy jumpers these days.
On my Hard drive that died I had a few pics of it.
If I ever recover those pics I will post them,.

OK. Well I'd say it's Fitzroy Football Club memorabilia taken by Brisbane after the 'merger' and displayed in the Brisbane Lions social club at the Manningham at Bulleen. I've been out there several times (live at Donvale) and at one point they had quite a bit of memorabilia there.

It sounds like u really hate brisbane.

No. I don't hate Brisbane. I'm a member. I support them in the AFL competition. However facts are facts.

Brisbane have had a roller-coaster ride in terms of their relationship with Fitzroy over the years. Sometimes (and we're going through that sort of period now) it's been very good and sometimes it been little more than farce.

Sometimes the Lions have had some good ideas in regards to their relationship with Fitzroy but have often managed to tarnish what good ideas they've had that with inept execution or omissions, lack of consultation, on occasions amazing lack of knowledge and sometimes just high-handed arrogance.

They could with the right moves get a very substantial supporter base in Melbourne, but somehow they just can't get there. The Swans do it so much better. Very exasperating.

I was thinking about this the other day. If "hypothetically" fitzroy were still around today as a afl club i wonder what it would be like? Would it have 25,000 + members? Have world class trainin facilities? Be debt free? Ive read 2 or 3 fizroy books about there merger & it all boiled down to money.

There's only one book about the merger worth reading at the moment.

But ya look these days & the afl is currently propping up 5 afl clubs. Its sad that if they were in financial strife a decade later 2006 insted of 96 they would have been propped up :-(

Timing is important. Fitzroy was $2.7 million in debt when it was removed from the AFL.

I'd venture that Fitzroy's nomadic existence in the last 30-35 years of its VFL/AFL life didn't help. Going from its home in Fitzroy North, to playing games in St Kilda, Abbotsford, Carlton North and Footscray... the fans followed them everywhere but the powers that be would have taken that as ammunition they needed to use against the Roys.

If it had been long-term finals success, we would have lost Richmond or St Kilda, not Fitzroy.

I read something years ago that Michael Gale had said about his first memories of being drafted to Fitzroy... he remembers a meeting the players had in early 1986 where a vote was being taken on the club moving to Brisbane. Would a second relocation have worked? Could Fitzroy alternatively have been relocated to Fremantle in the mid 1990s?

I'm personally not a fan of the Brisbane Lions concept, it's never sat right with me. Everything should have been done to keep the Lions in Melbourne, i.e. pair them up with another Melbourne-based team. And from what I understand, North Melbourne would have provided that.

Roylion, have Fitzroy thought of selling jumpers and merchandise to shops like Rebel Sport? Jim Kidd would be a good place to sell them in Perth.

Roylion, have Fitzroy thought of selling jumpers and merchandise to shops like Rebel Sport? Jim Kidd would be a good place to sell them in Perth.

Not that I know of. Would there be a demand for them these days?

It would also depend on what sort of profit Fitzroy would make from any such deal. At the moment Fitzroy gets 100% of any jumper sales.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I know of. Would there be a demand for them these days?

It would also depend on what sort of profit Fitzroy would make from any such deal. At the moment Fitzroy gets 100% of any jumper sales.

I would buy a couple of fitzroy jumpers. Though that's my next question. Does the fitzroy shop in morabbin sell them I.e the red one?

I would buy a couple of fitzroy jumpers. Though that's my next question. Does the fitzroy shop in morabbin sell them I.e the red one?

Yep.

Check out the Fitzroy website and click on 'The Fitzroy Shop" link. Follow the links.

No sponsors are on the jumper as far as I know.

Yep.

Check out the Fitzroy website and click on 'The Fitzroy Shop" link. Follow the links.

No sponsors are on the jumper as far as I know.

I'll check it out

The jumpers are actually made by Lyon Sportswear in Mordialloc, who are the official manufacturer for the VAFA.
They are one of the few local manufacturers with the old knitting machines to make the acryllic (like wool) jumpers.
They make them in small quantities but cheap enough to make them commercially viable.
They are excellent quality and look exactly like the 1995 jumpers.
1996 had the AFL Centennary patch.

The jumpers are actually made by Lyon Sportswear in Mordialloc, who are the official manufacturer for the VAFA.
They are one of the few local manufacturers with the old knitting machines to make the acryllic (like wool) jumpers.
They make them in small quantities but cheap enough to make them commercially viable.
They are excellent quality and look exactly like the 1995 jumpers.
1996 had the AFL Centennary patch.

& they do hawthorns ones aswell they look really good!

Fitzroy-1897.gif

I know Fitzroy tried to replicate this back in 96, but this is the jumper I'd like to see the Lions wear. (Obviously on a new printed jumper, not a canvas lace-up.

PS This is the one that Manningham has one of.

Of course - forgot that the jumper dates from the pre-number era. :)
Probably would need a square panel on the back for the number (and have black digits)... or do like Geelong in 1912 and have a white number sit low on the jumper.

More to the point, not a fan of the BBFFC. That kind of thing has no place on a heritage jumper, which is typically a one-off. I feel the same way about the Dogs' FFC, Port's 1870, Sydney's SMFC etc - keep them off "classic" styles.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Brisbane lions / Fitzroy Heritage jumper round 12 vs western bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back