Brisbane lions to be this years surprise packet??

Remove this Banner Ad

Our leading goal scorer will most likely be Josh Green again this year (Small Forward). We still lack a tall forward that can consistently kick goals and impact games.

Hanley out for 8+ is a huge loss as he creates so many scoring opportunities with his run and precise long kicking.

Could scrape into 8 if everything goes right but more likely around the 10 - 12 mark I think.

Mick Malthouse can't see how they will lose a game. :p

I think they will be better this year, they had a lot of issues on the road last year, typical of young sides, that is always a hump that is hard to overcome. They had an average losing margin of 56.4 points last year, they should improve on that.

Their midfield should be more competitive this year, they might become a better team but win about the same amount of games if that makes any sense. I am not sure if their forward and back line is good enough yet to beat too many top 8 contenders atm.

I hope they do well though, except when we play them of course.

Well I think it's safe to to say the jinx has well and truly been placed on us now.

See you guys on the 7th of September for Mad Monday.

They've won 10, 10, 7 over the last 3 seasons so they're not Melbourne. Beams and Christensen are huge ins. They've pretty much added a guy who will be a favourite to win the B&F without giving up much (player wise) to do so. And Christensen who is more than handy.

Just need to get off to a good start and not win 7 of the last 10 etc. to give late season hope for 'next year' again.

They will win a fair few games this year I think. Not sure if they will be consistent enough for finals but as mentioned before the recruitment of Beams and Christiansen and getting Rich back from injury makes their midfield elite. Will be interesting to see how they gel, especially once Hanley comes back.

However I think they don't have enough tall timber, they definitely have some young promising key position backs but the loss of their back to back best and fairest winner Joel Patful should not be underestimated.

"Surprise packet" would be implying people haven't been wanking/overhyping them this past summer. Brisbane didn't beat anyone of note last year (unless you count Collingwood's z team) and lost to Adelaide (by 100 points) and GWS at home. 1 or 2 new players can't lift a bottom 4 team into the finals. I'll start talking about them in higher regard once they actually start achieving on the field. Right now i'd say they're on coarse for another 2013 like season.

"Surprise packet" would be implying people haven't been wanking/overhyping them this past summer. Brisbane didn't beat anyone of note last year (unless you count Collingwood's z team) and lost to Adelaide (by 100 points) and GWS at home. 1 or 2 new players can't lift a bottom 4 team into the finals. I'll start talking about them in higher regard once they actually start achieving on the field. Right now i'd say they're on coarse for another 2013 like season.

North was our biggest scalp.

Hanley
Zorko
Rockliff
Rich
Beams
Christensen
Bewick
Merrett
Redden
Papparone
Green
Adcock
McGuane
Leuenberger

Not bad IMO. Decent stock.

Before any smart ass wannabe opens their mouth yes I opened a similar thread regarding the kangaroos. I think the lions will be one of the surprise teams of 2015 and will replace one of the top 8 teams from last year. A lot of these lads are very young , I can see a force emerging over these next 5 years. Expecting the GABBA to once again be a fortress in the not too distant future.

P5TeuEh.gif

I'm not sure they could be considered a surprise packet considering how much they've been hyped up over the off-season. Most people have them improving to the 10th-12th range with the odd tipster placing them in the lower part of the 8. If they finished in the top 4 that would be a shock, but I don't think many people would be surprised to seem them in that 8-11 range.

I've heard a number of times this off-season about how they have one of the best midfields in the AFL (sometimes the best). Reality is they were the worst clearance team in the AFL last year. They've gained Beams and Christensen in addition to Rich and Leuenberger back from injury, but they've also lost Patful and lost Hanley to injury for half the season. They've strengthened their midfield but lost a heap in their backline. And they don't seem to have solved their KPF problem, regardless of whether or not you think McGuane is "decent stock".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only thing that I don't see pointed out is that we had the "hardest" draw last year.

Softer draw this year will help a lot, new additions as well will be handy and the general feeling around the club is much more positive - yes it's possible to sneak into the 8 but with a lack of key forwards and our young backs still developing, it's unlikely.

GABBA is one of the biggest home advantages (second behind WA) because of the unique conditions. If they can win their fair share of away games, think they will sneak into eighth. Biggest issue is their forward line, but that's the least important third of the ground these days provided you have a goal savvy midfield.

Everyone my ass. Very few have them in the 8.

Where do you have them finishing this year? Hmmm now you have to think don't you. Well put your money where your mouth is.

You're saying everyone was talking them up and it won't be a surprise. None of this each way crap finishing 8 or 11th and trying to give yourself middle room. Will they make the finals or not? And yes if they make the 8 it will be a surprise.

And btw if they finish 11th, is that what you mean by everyone talking them up and not being a surprise? Finishing 11 a huge step up from last year is it? But they can make the 8 also? Nice way having two pieces of the pie.

another expert who after the fact would say I told you so.

One round makes a season. Great logic, Einstein.

Calm the **** down

I'm not sure they could be considered a surprise packet considering how much they've been hyped up over the off-season. Most people have them improving to the 10th-12th range with the odd tipster placing them in the lower part of the 8. If they finished in the top 4 that would be a shock, but I don't think many people would be surprised to seem them in that 8-11 range.

I've heard a number of times this off-season about how they have one of the best midfields in the AFL (sometimes the best). Reality is they were the worst clearance team in the AFL last year. They've gained Beams and Christensen in addition to Rich and Leuenberger back from injury, but they've also lost Patful and lost Hanley to injury for half the season. They've strengthened their midfield but lost a heap in their backline. And they don't seem to have solved their KPF problem, regardless of whether or not you think McGuane is "decent stock".
Don't forget Martin only played half the season. We were forced to basically play our best defender (Merrett) in the ruck when West was resting. Then West went down as well...

Could also include Redden, who was also out for the final 8 or so games.

How many is a "few"?

Don't forget Martin only played half the season. We were forced to basically play our best defender (Merrett) in the ruck when West was resting. Then West went down as well...

Could also include Redden, who was also out for the final 8 or so games.

Look at that, you answered your own question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane lions to be this years surprise packet??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back