Preview Brisbane Lions v Carlton Blues PF, 5.15pm Saturday 23rd Sep 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read an article from Kane Cornes on the game in the Age, and it really shows the abysmal level of commentary in AFL. Apparently Brisbane were lucky to defeat Port who supposedly took the lead in the third quarter and would have had a considerable lead if they had kicked straight! Not sure what game he was watching. Why let the facts get in the way of an 8 goal thrashing though.And according to him Brisbane has a soft underbelly and a poor midfield as well. Not sure how we managed to get to second on the ladder. He also makes mention of Jackson Payne, following along with most of the moronic tv commentators. Really hard to stomach the garbage that we have to put up with in Victoria from the media down here.

Its funny because earlier this week he was asked which midfield he'd take out of the remaining 4 teams and picked ours. Just talking out both sides of his mouth.

Also ping Mr Ripper for this para:

In games with high stakes, the Lions have revealed a soft underbelly. Forwards Eric Hipwood and Joe Daniher can be erratic; co-captain Harris Andrews is laconic; star midfielder Lachie Neale can be shut down; veteran Dayne Zorko is prone to undisciplined outbursts.

Carlton must be in the face of the opposition. They must exploit these weaknesses.

Just looked abit proppy.
It's a prelim and he's very important to our structure against this opposition so you'd think they'll leave it to the last possible time to decide . If we don't play him this week you'd have to be concerned about him getting up for the GF. He's struggled along for a few weeks now, I don't take it as a good sign that he's struggling now to prove his fitness , but I'm sure we're fairly tight lipped about what his real fitness is.

If Macca plays like he did last game (against Melbourne) he might not even be in the 22.

Has he really even played a good game for them? Said it most of last year but as much as I love him, he is NOT worth the money they’re paying him

Also ping Mr Ripper for this para:
In games with high stakes, the Lions have revealed a soft underbelly. Forwards Eric Hipwood and Joe Daniher can be erratic; co-captain Harris Andrews is laconic; star midfielder Lachie Neale can be shut down; veteran Dayne Zorko is prone to undisciplined outbursts.

Carlton must be in the face of the opposition. They must exploit these weaknesses.

Pretty sure Harris is the most un-laconic bloke out there. Beside Motty, anyway.

It's a prelim and he's very important to our structure against this opposition so you'd think they'll leave it to the last possible time to decide . If we don't play him this week you'd have to be concerned about him getting up for the GF. He's struggled along for a few weeks now, I don't take it as a good sign that he's struggling now to prove his fitness , but I'm sure we're fairly tight lipped about what his real fitness is.
If he plays, what we don’t need are people running off at the mouth “Akermanis Style” saying that he is actually shot to pieces. No repeats of “Nigel Lappin-gate” please.

That’s why Zorko’s comments this morning regarding Payne were exactly what needed to be said.

EDIT - I hope he gets up for the Grand Final

Last edited:
Interesting that they think that Darragh Joyce might come in for Payne rather than Gardiner.

I guarantee they have no idea and are basing that purely on the fact that Joyce got more games than Gardiner this year.

It’ll be dizzy if he does come in.

Just on ABC tv. Closed session. Zorko says he’ll probably play. Vision of Payne walking to car after training. Looked to have a slight limp.

I try not to read too much into gaits. There was a time there when every time Charlie got up from a contest was worried he’d just done an ankle, but it took me a while to realise nah he just walks weirdly at baseline.

His whole shtick is to be a ‘footy shock jock’ moving from one BIG STATEMENT to the next. The “journalist ” who really does my head in is Kelli Underwood, who seems to find it difficult to tell the difference between Coleman and Ah Chee when calling the game.
Honestly she has trouble telling the difference between the Lions and the Suns as well... I actually don't mind her commentating as long as I don't listen to what she's saying.

Good news. I think in finals the sub has to be an experienced player who is comfortable in his role at AFL and strong in the contest. Pace would be great but not as important. In a close finishes it’s all about winning the contest, decision making and good ball use. Lyon fits the bill.

you can argue that you need coverage if a ruck or key position player goes down, or a very pace player is injured. Most games this doesn’t happen. Balance of probabilities you need a player you are sure can have an impact late in the game.

if you take the “insurance“ for a tall route, you end up with poor old Josh sitting on the bench for the whole game.
Personally I think the insurance route has always been a mistake. Players are adaptable and can change roles for a game and still play great footy (McStay last year, DJ White in 2002). Maybe the new role for just the one game energises the player sometimes? IMO Joe is our most important player now, we don't ever bring in another forward just in case he goes down. Well, let me rephrase that, we have stopped bringing in another forward/ruck in case Joe or O go down.

Just read an article from Kane Cornes on the game in the Age, and it really shows the abysmal level of commentary in AFL. Apparently Brisbane were lucky to defeat Port who supposedly took the lead in the third quarter and would have had a considerable lead if they had kicked straight! Not sure what game he was watching. Why let the facts get in the way of an 8 goal thrashing though.And according to him Brisbane has a soft underbelly and a poor midfield as well. Not sure how we managed to get to second on the ladder. He also makes mention of Jackson Payne, following along with most of the moronic tv commentators. Really hard to stomach the garbage that we have to put up with in Victoria from the media down here.
If we had 22 umpiring for us instead of against us we would've been 10 goals up at halftime. It's all good to say Port didn't take their chances but **** me quite a few of their early chances were directly or indirectly from some questionable calls.

Has he really even played a good game for them? Said it most of last year but as much as I love him, he is NOT worth the money they’re paying him
I think he would be a better/more valuable player down back tbh. I understand that probably isn't where he wants to play but sometimes you just have to play where you are actually better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly she has trouble telling the difference between the Lions and the Suns as well... I actually don't mind her commentating as long as I don't listen to what she's saying.
Guessing that means that you think she has soothing tones or her excitement reflects the match even the words themselves are ... counter-intuitive to your enjoyment of the game?

Or you are just being straight up faecetious! :)

All Queensland teams must look the same. My son said that she referred to GWS as “the Orange Team” during a game late in the year. 😳

His whole shtick is to be a ‘footy shock jock’ moving from one BIG STATEMENT to the next. The “journalist ” who really does my head in is Kelli Underwood, who seems to find it difficult to tell the difference between Coleman and Ah Chee when calling the game.

If anyone wants a more intelligent and on the money analysis, they should come here and read some martinson MSB ROYS M Malice Grasshopper17 royboys4eva knaf BrainOfMorbius briztoon McIvor Dalions Gadzorks KissKiss p4p1 and no false modesty, 3KZ is Football

#TheDistinguishedDenizens of our board.
**** me a few lads getting told how 3KZ is Football really feels. Might head down to the butcher and make myself useful as some chopped liver.

Guessing that means that you think she has soothing tones or her excitement reflects the match even the words themselves are ... counter-intuitive to your enjoyment of the game?

Or you are just being straight up faecetious! :)
No, 100% serious.

BT annoys me when I listen to him and when I don't because he's trying to make everything too exciting. Kelli manages that a lot better. She has factual errors - there's a couple of special comments guys that do the same, but stay under the radar because they're not the main commentator.

All Queensland teams must look the same. My son said that she referred to GWS as “the Orange Team” during a game late in the year. 😳

That one's pretty famous. It's why you see GWS leaning right into #theorangeteam at the moment as well.

* me a few lads getting told how 3KZ is Football really feels. Might head down to the butcher and make myself useful as some chopped liver.
grin ... there was a thread not sure how many years ago now and someone had made up a team sheet based on BigFooty posters ... well that was only 22 of them and there was some commentary so they made a second team and then a third before they finally gave up!

With this one not fazed personally as no one ever will have looked at my posts expecting 'more intelligent and on the money analysis' of football and hey I normally read the posts first and only then check out who wrote them (although often you already can tell!) but while I would add some more to the list none of the listed ones (well except for 3KZ is Football when he is in full on troll mode!) are ones whose opinions I would rate less that others...

She's no worse than Jobe tbh. "Flying Ryan" gave me a titter though.

She's better than Jobe. Sometimes I wonder whether Jobe's New York cafe failed because customers slowly backed away and left while he was in the middle of one of his rambling, non-sequitors.

No, 100% serious.

BT annoys me when I listen to him and when I don't because he's trying to make everything too exciting. Kelli manages that a lot better. She has factual errors - there's a couple of special comments guys that do the same, but stay under the radar because they're not the main commentator.

That one's pretty famous. It's why you see GWS leaning right into #theorangeteam at the moment as well.

With BT, it depends on which two teams are playing. If it's Collingwood or Richmond, he will barrack for them no matter how far they are behind. In fact BT is worse than Kelli, as BT takes the prime-time games, whereas Kelli only commentates the afternoon games or lower tier games. Kelli's games are avoidable and BT's aren't.

Both are definitely the worst commentators right now.

That being said, Gary Lyon, Gerald Healy, Dermott B, Daisy Peirce and Bradshaw are all equal third - they all suck.
I think I'd rather listen to old Bruce come back just to hear his geriatric ramblings than any of the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back