Preview Brisbane Lions v Melbourne Demons - Friday, 28 June 2024, 7:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few guys on here seem to love highlighting every little brain fade and forget that he carried us for a long time and was the only really classy player we had . So he got targeted and had to absorb the physical pressure and all of the blanketing tactics that were thrown at him.

I thought he was done at the end of last year so to me this year shows what a champion he is.

Same here Marty. Deserves another year for sure. Reckon this year has not been far off his All Australian years.

if zorko had played his peak at either a successful club or a big melbourne club he would have a fair few more all australian jackets and a much bigger profile.

one of the more seriously underrated players of the past 10 years for me. his combination of defensive application, contested ball winning and foot skills is really unique... cant think of too many like him.
it was a disgrace we had posters calling for him to get booted last year. He was and still is our best and most consistent kick. His decision with ball in hand can slice an oppositions zone apart and him playing as the Quarterback has seen our transition football from D50 to F50 be the best it's ever been. Now kicking inside 50 is another matter... End of the day we just won't get another Zorko. He's a generational talent for the Lions and underrated across the league. I hope those Lions potshotters hang their head in shame.

it was a disgrace we had posters calling for him to get booted last year. He was and still is our best and most consistent kick. His decision with ball in hand can slice an oppositions zone apart and him playing as the Quarterback has seen our transition football from D50 to F50 be the best it's ever been. Now kicking inside 50 is another matter... End of the day we just won't get another Zorko. He's a generational talent for the Lions and underrated across the league. I hope those Lions potshotters hang their head in shame.

Not only am I hanging my head in shame, tears of shame are rolling down my cheeks as we speak. Is it the pure pent up emotion in your prose that has moved me so or is it the realization of the disgrace that will hang over me for all the days I have left posting on this board? Either way it seems as though you will not be able to find a way to forgive me for my transgressions and it is this which has caused me my greatest sorrow.

This all makes sense. Melbourne have generally tried to arrange a loose player in their defence, to allow Lever to zone off and intercept mark etc. So it stands to reason that this would give us a spare somewhere on the field also. If that happens it will be interesting to see whether we go and man up their spare, keep ours around the ball or fight fire with fire and play a +1 behind the ball as well.

Speaking of which, do we know if Lever is due back this week? Have heard very little about him in recent weeks.
Goodwin said after the game on Saturday that Lever would be back this week, so they'll have him and May back there, as well as Gawn floating back. We obviously worked our way through the zone earlier this year instead of bombing it in to those 3, but you'd imagine they might try and change things up a little to stop us from doing that again if they can.

Melbourne are pretty woeful offensively, but at their best they are a good defensive team obviously. It will be a good test for us with our recent attacking form to see how we go against their defence.

Pretending like 3 out of his last 4 seasons hadn't been pretty average with a body that was seemingly shot

Classic SizeMatters

Makes the decision re who to leave out for Ashcroft pretty easy if Dunkley's bum keeps him out.

If they are not too keen to throw Ashcroft straight into significant inside mid minutes just stick with Berry/Neale and up the inside mid minutes for the likes of Rayner/McCluggage.

Another option would be to go with Dev Robertson or Jarryd Lyons as a straight swap for Dunkley.

My only hope for the week prior to the game is that none of the playing group has read any of the press this week, talking us back up as flag/top 4 contenders etc. This group has an uncanny ability to get to far ahead of themselves and we haven't left ourselves in a position to do so. This game is certainly no gimme, no matter what the external pundits are saying, so I hope we don't go in thinking that way. Just stick with the process as boring as that is and tick off the wins as they come.

My only hope for the week prior to the game is that none of the playing group has read any of the press this week, talking us back up as flag/top 4 contenders etc. This group has an uncanny ability to get to far ahead of themselves and we haven't left ourselves in a position to do so. This game is certainly no gimme, no matter what the external pundits are saying, so I hope we don't go in thinking that way. Just stick with the process as boring as that is and tick off the wins as they come.
TBH, I actually think that the bulk of the media has been about how bad Port were, not how good we were.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretending like 3 out of his last 4 seasons hadn't been pretty average with a body that was seemingly shot

Classic SizeMatters
I agree with premise of your post.

More like last season Zorko looked shot at times, but other times he looked like the only player trying to drag the midfield along, and then the campaigner in him would appear, and he’d gut slap someone off the ball and give away 50.

The year before, it looked like the end was coming, it was just a matter of how soon.

After a soft kill and very easy second half last week in terms of pressure the biggest risk for us this week will be the first quarter intensity.

We have to make sure we continue our good starts. If we are slow out of the blocks then I can see them getting that 4-5 goal gap early.

After a soft kill and very easy second half last week in terms of pressure the biggest risk for us this week will be the first quarter intensity.

We have to make sure we continue our good starts. If we are slow out of the blocks then I can see them getting that 4-5 goal gap early.

Being slow out the blocks isn’t usually the issue for us

They can’t score so imo even if we are off it’ll be tight and all we need to do is have a run on of a few goals and we should be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back