Preview Brisbane Lions vs Sydney Swans Sunday 21st June 1:10pm @ GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit of a stretch to suggest a shoulder injury that occurred wrestling a teammate during post season celebrations suggests a body not built for afl. As i said, 45 games across the previous 2 seasons.
I would suggest that even more so to be honest. Definitely 21 across 2 seasons... And already counting down to his next calf pull which also by the way happened amongst the shoulder layoff.

Sam’s great. Versatile, athletic, experienced.

Only ever issue with him has been injury.

Obviously not best 22 at this stage, but a fit and mobile Sam Reid waiting in the wings in September is absolutely part of our flag campaign.
No need to call Nuggetz that.

Could look silly Sunday night, but I am not really worried about Neale like I would be about other leading mids in the comp.

Gets a lot of junk in amongst it all.

Junk?? He's a hugely damaging player, one of if not the most in form players the last month or so.

Haha, that's something I've been checking out the last few weeks. Thought Ollie was a chance to finally jump a spot!
All it literally needed was "therefore for these reasons it is in our belief Cameron's actions of rough conduct contributed to the injury sustained by Duggan" case closed he doesn't get off

I wonder if his ball use is a little bit poorer because he is playing in the clinches in the VFL whereas i think we will use his speed on the wing/half forward area in the AFL. Given that he would surely have an extra yard or two of space enabling him to clean his possessions up a tad
Is he that quick? From the little I've seen he seems a bit Dylan Stephens like. Decent footy brain, decent player, not quite the elite skill and/or athleticism/size combo that sees him able to fit into AFL team on a regular basis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neale is a tough match up. Really strong, clean hands and deceptively quick. Also has a very good tank. He's very good at shaking a tag and I think we're better off just telling his opponent to play their game and force him to defend. Heeney would give him a thing or two to think about as would rotating Chad, Errol or Papley onto him at centre bounces.
I prefer to see JJ playing on Zorko to make it harder for them to exit D50. He also then provides something in attack.

I'm really happy Harry is back in. Some were very skeptical he would make it back from his minor strain but I had a feeling after having a chat the other day he was pretty confident.

Thoughts LukeParkerno1 ?

I told you so. 😂

Better than Reid playing at least

Would be some effort to win this up there when I look at this 23 on paper. Against quality opposition Campbell and Roberts still concern me, Fox needs a role and Corey Warner is nowhere near it.

I don't think McLean's been consistently great, nor starring by any means (except against Freo where he was very good and deservedly got coaches votes.)

But I don't think the Reid of 2022 was consistently great, either. He's sort of been mythologized in a way, probably because of a number of reasons. But in the second half of 2022, Reid had six goalless games. That was more in a half a season than McLean has had so far in 17 games (he's had 5 goalless games so far, will likely add more, but the point still stands.)

In that time, Reid averaged 1.5 contested marks. So far this year McLean is averaging 1.2 contested marks.

I thought Reid was really solid in the back half of 2022 in our run to the GF, but I also think McLean has been solid this year. So have Amartey & McDonald. All four of them are solid players, nothing more at this stage, so there's always going to be games where they don't fire, and Reid had those games too in 2022. I think if Reid were in the team over McLean or Amartey, there'd be just as many complaints about us playing Reid over two guys who could give us the same output but younger.
More good points. And I agree, you only bring in Reid if he is substantially better than one of the other three - and that is not the case as it stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back