Preview Brisbane Lions vs Sydney Swans Sunday 21st June 1:10pm @ GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer to see JJ playing on Zorko to make it harder for them to exit D50. He also then provides something in attack.
How good has JJ been this year?

Of the new recruits, he was probably equal least likely to have a regular starting position at the start of this year (along with Hamling), and now with players coming back from injury the conversation isn’t whether JJ should drop out, but which key role he should play to help us win.

I prefer to see JJ playing on Zorko to make it harder for them to exit D50. He also then provides something in attack.
Agree 100%. Shut Zorko down and we will really stuff up their ball movement by foot, especially with mckenna out (although his form has been pretty average of late).

Agree 100%. Shut Zorko down and we will really stuff up their ball movement by foot, especially with mckenna out (although his form has been pretty average of late).
Zorko gets a lot of pill.

But Wilmot is the guy that can really cause damage off half-back.

It’ll be really interesting to see who JJ introduces himself to at the opening bounce.

Zorko gets a lot of pill.

But Wilmot is the guy that can really cause damage off half-back.

It’ll be really interesting to see who JJ introduces himself to at the opening bounce.
Wilmott is more damaging with ball in hand. Zorko is the one who sets it all up.

Wilmott is more damaging with ball in hand. Zorko is the one who sets it all up.
I’m just vividly recalling the Freo game, where JJ clamped onto Jordan Clark.

Horse does like to use JJ to negate the opposition’s most damaging half-back. Which could be Zorko, could be Wilmot.

Wilmot actually gets more disposals than Zorko sometimes.

I’ll be looking for the match-up …. it’ll be really interesting to see what Horse is thinking. He might even send JJ to a mid … who knows?

I’m just vividly recalling the Freo game, where JJ clamped onto Jordan Clark.

Horse does like to use JJ to negate the opposition’s most damaging half-back. Which could be Zorko, could be Wilmot.

Wilmot actually gets more disposals than Zorko sometimes.

I’ll be looking for the match-up …. it’ll be really interesting to see what Horse is thinking. He might even send JJ to a mid … who knows?

I agree with you, be sending JJ to Zorko. When Brisbane have played poor it’s coincided with Zorko being shut down. I love Wilmot wanted him in his draft year but I’d be shutting Zorko down first

Geelongs approach in 2022 was on the money. And with Holmes going down they had Parfitt coming in who wasn't short on senior game time.
Hmm... I think it's more horses for courses...

Geelong's 2022 team was much older, had loads of experience... Sydney's 2024 team is much younger, and it's their synergy that's winning games. I think we want to keep them going as long as we can unchanged.

Mills, Heeney, Parker and Cunningham shouldn't need a break; McInerney is having an 'enforced break' which leaves Lloyd, Rampe, Papley, Melican, Fox, Adams and Grundy over 25... Of those, Papley, Melican, Lloyd and Grundy have played 17, Adams & Rampe have played 14, Fox 11. Pull them off early if we're winning by miles, but I wouldn't not play them.

Just my thoughts..

Geelong's 2022 team was much older, had loads of experience... Sydney's 2024 team is much younger, and it's their synergy that's winning games. I think we want to keep them going as long as we can unchanged.

Mills, Heeney, Parker and Cunningham shouldn't need a break; McInerney is having an 'enforced break' which leaves Lloyd, Rampe, Papley, Melican, Fox, Adams and Grundy over 25... Of those, Papley, Melican, Lloyd and Grundy have played 17, Adams & Rampe have played 14, Fox 11. Pull them off early if we're winning by miles, but I wouldn't not play them.

Just my thoughts..
It all depends on the individual circumstances. Have seen a lot of people suggest Gulden & Warner need to be rested on the run home. They are largely outside players with comparatively little wear and tear on their bodies to this point. Their games are mainly fitness-based, so they actually benefit from game time more than they do weeks off.

On the flip side, your contested core like Grundy, Heeney & Rowbottom will have been battered from pillar to post, and would be playing sore most weeks. Adding game on top of game without respite would only compound that soreness. Similarly someone like Blakey, who is actually intended as a predominantly-outside player but has been doing a lot of contested work in defence, would be feeling it too you'd presume.

So I think it needn't be a case of 'rest your best players' but rather 'rest those who need it.'

It all depends on the individual circumstances. Have seen a lot of people suggest Gulden & Warner need to be rested on the run home. They are largely outside players with comparatively little wear and tear on their bodies to this point. Their games are mainly fitness-based, so they actually benefit from game time more than they do weeks off.

On the flip side, your contested core like Grundy, Heeney & Rowbottom will have been battered from pillar to post, and would be playing sore most weeks. Adding game on top of game without respite would only compound that soreness. Similarly someone like Blakey, who is actually intended as a predominantly-outside player but has been doing a lot of contested work in defence, would be feeling it too you'd presume.

So I think it needn't be a case of 'rest your best players' but rather 'rest those who need it.'
Grundy needs a week off I reckon.
Are they doing the bye round before finals this year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't get why they don't announce the fixturing for the final round when they have this pre finals bye, makes no sense.
Personally, I'd rather the bye before the GF.
I hate byes.
Byes are for .............people who don't like footy......I reckon. Like having a week off before you eat icecream. Just dumb.

Can’t help wondering if, psychologically, tomorrow would be a good game to lose.

Lions and Hawks are the form sides of the comp right now.

We’re not playing the Hawks again in the H&A so if we win this, we might start to think we’re invincible (except against shitty mid-table and now-bottom-of-ladder opponents, of course).

MAYBE it’s a good thing for premiership-hopeful teams to start believing they’re invincible.

But I suspect humility and a slight self-doubt are better attributes.

Of course, we need a parallel universe in which to test my theory, and that’s something I don’t appear to have at hand. (Might check on eBay.)

Can’t help wondering if, psychologically, tomorrow would be a good game to lose.

Lions and Hawks are the form sides of the comp right now.

We’re not playing the Hawks again in the H&A so if we win this, we might start to think we’re invincible (except against shitty mid-table and now-bottom-of-ladder opponents, of course).

MAYBE it’s a good thing for premiership-hopeful teams to start believing they’re invincible.

But I suspect humility and a slight self-doubt are better attributes.

Of course, we need a parallel universe in which to test my theory, and that’s something I don’t appear to have at hand. (Might check on eBay.)
We just lost 2 in a row. Surely we don't need to lose another one to give us a kick up the butt.
Let's come out firing play a hard Q1 and kick straight. I'll be cheering from the stands

Just my thoughts..
Looking at the Brian's forward line, I wouldn't be surprised if Blakey lined up on the wing. After reading your post I am even more inclined to think he will. Could be hard to counter.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

We just lost 2 in a row. Surely we don't need to lose another one to give us a kick up the butt.
Let's come out firing play a hard Q1 and kick straight. I'll be cheering from the stands

Yeah this good game to lose stuff always baffles me a bit. It’s what you say when you lose, to cope, not before.

A win against Brisbane, away, is huge. It would cement top spot for us. I tipped Brisbane but in no way is there an advantage to losing this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back