Preview Brisbane Lions vs Sydney Swans Sunday 21st June 1:10pm @ GABBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep totally agree. I always thought the epitome of a good tackle was making sure the opposition player can't dispose of the ball, but if they tackle "ball and all" these days, more often then not they'll get suspended. It will be touch footy soon!
The most laughable thing about this weeks findings is Rosas getting the same penalty as Heeney for an absolutely purposeful dog act!
Talk about chook lotto!
And then they both get let off, rightly so, but also makes the entire process a complete and utter circus.

I think its the complete opposite tbh. Sydney take the game on through breaking the lines by foot which is why they have alot of bounces and play on % from marks but Brisbane are a possession based side. In last 5 games Sydney average 84 marks per game and Brisbane 118. 107 of Brisbane's marks are uncontested and Sydney roughly 77. Shows that Brisbane like to Switch it around and poke holes in the defensive structure.

This is exactly how Fremantle and St Kilda (and Richmond) beat us. They just chipped it around all day and took a million uncontested marks. We couldn't deal with it and were made to look distinctly mediocre. We don't seem to do too well against good possession based play.

Me, excited for the teams and seeing Sam Reid selected

38fef7a66b95a4e26354ebfd1838a086.gif

Hope Sam Reid gets picked. I'll back him in.

Is Corey being coddled a bit as part of a strategy to keep Chad happier? Wicks has been pretty good overall this year.
No. Corey has had some good games in the VFL, was probably the best "small" last week, deserves to be next in. Whether he makes it as an AFL player, unsure, but has shown a bit to justify the selection (discounting the fact we needed KPPs at the time).

Wicks has been a bit quiet for a few weeks, still chasing etc but looked like he'd lost confidence/composure in his last game at seniors level, and was a bit of a mess in his half at VFL level last week. As he did last year after his suspension, roared into form at VFL leven again, came back and played well. Hoping it will repeat from this week in a full game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Id say Corey should be Sub because he has better versatility
I don’t mind Corey as sub. When in the team he has good at finding space, largely I suspect because he is good at reading the play and because the opposition doesn’t give him enough respect, which should continue if he comes on as sub.

However, he needs to use the ball better to make an impact. I am not yet convinced he can match the pace of AFL, but would love to be proved wrong against the lions.

Do they?

Amartey is our leading goalkicker and McLean has been doing the ruck/forward role as well as we could hope.

Obviously they need to keep maintaining the standard of performances they have been this year, but I don't think they need to "step up." I think Horse & co would be quite satisfied with more of the same from them.
I love McLean but he has been a bit down for a few weeks now.

If Reid starts approaching 2022 Reid (sans GF) and McLean does not lift, then I reckon a hard call gets made. You would not think this week though…

Sam Reid is due to start developing on his promise I guess.

A great lawyer in his field but was instructed poorly in sports.

40e6d2aee595bfe1aba8c66cd08f7d58.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk
I guess you could say he constructed a poor defence.

I’ll see my way out…

I don’t mind Corey as sub. When in the team he has good at finding space, largely I suspect because he is good at reading the play and because the opposition doesn’t give him enough respect, which should continue if he comes on as sub.

However, he needs to use the ball better to make an impact. I am not yet convinced he can match the pace of AFL, but would love to be proved wrong against the lions.
I wonder if his ball use is a little bit poorer because he is playing in the clinches in the VFL whereas i think we will use his speed on the wing/half forward area in the AFL. Given that he would surely have an extra yard or two of space enabling him to clean his possessions up a tad

Hope Sam Reid gets picked. I'll back him in.
Sam’s great. Versatile, athletic, experienced.

Only ever issue with him has been injury.

Obviously not best 22 at this stage, but a fit and mobile Sam Reid waiting in the wings in September is absolutely part of our flag campaign.

I wonder if his ball use is a little bit poorer because he is playing in the clinches in the VFL whereas i think we will use his speed on the wing/half forward area in the AFL. Given that he would surely have an extra yard or two of space enabling him to clean his possessions up a tad
Corey’s ball use has improved tenfold since he arrived. (It was something Beatson noted he needed to improve when the Swans drafted him.)

His contest work has also improved, and he’s got both good speed (less explosive than Chad) and good endurance.

He’s probably the closest thing we have to an understudy for McInerney, though without the smarts that JMac has (but didn’t have when he was finding his way in the senior team). I think he just needs to show he can adjust to the pace and pressure of senior football. If anything he has rushed the opportunities he’s had at senior level, not realising he has an extra split second to settle and balance.

If we were a weaker team (as we were when JMac and Chad were making their way) I think he’d be getting more opportunities to see if he can step up. But it’s hard to come in to a ladder-leading, well-oiled team, where every contest or possession he doesn’t nail will be scrutinised and cause anguish.

I love McLean but he has been a bit down for a few weeks now.

If Reid starts approaching 2022 Reid (sans GF) and McLean does not lift, then I reckon a hard call gets made. You would not think this week though…
????

Kicked 2.3 and had 16 disposals and 8 marks against North last week.

2 goals and 6 contested marks against Freo two weeks before that.

2 goals against GWS the week before that...

I wouldn't be surprised if we copped a bit of a pantsing this week.

Lions are in-form, at home & have a lot to play for.

We, on the other hand, have gone into "resting players mode".

i wouldn't be surprised if we win comfortably

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back