Brisbane: Not in too bad shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's true though, longer doesn't compare to the burger, and he is a shit forward

Yeo was the big loss

It's not true at all.

Longer is a young ruck, they take time to develop. It took Leuenberger a few years before his forward game was developed.

They're all losses. But 3 of them probably would have been in our best 22 next year if they stayed on.

Tell us something we don't know.

Would not expect you to back up your assessment of who is coming through...just a bald statemernt but here are 16 (average of 4 per year) very good/promising players drafted by the Lions during the Voss tenure:

Rich
Redden
Banfield
Rockliff
Hanley
Harwood
O'Brien
Beams
Golby
Polec
Karnezis
Lester
Green
Longer
Docherty
Yeo

Staker,Raines and Magure were mature age additions in 2009 who are all regular top 22 selections when available and Zorko (traded in last year) is a very promising mature age recruit.

Do yourself a favour and get over 2002 and try to forget about 2003.

Wow. just wow.

Apart from Rich and Redden theres not much left from this promising list of youngsters from March 2012....

Wow. just wow.

Apart from Rich and Redden theres not much left from this promising list of youngsters from March 2012....

We've still got Rockliff, Redden, Rich, Leuenberger, Lester, Golby, Harwood, Beams, Hanley, Zorko, Mayes and Clarke.

Plus a few guys on the rookie list showing a bit.

But losing Docherty, Longer, Yeo, Polec and Karnezis does hurt and will hurt more in the next couple of years.

Wow. just wow.

Hanley, Rockliff and Golby complete spuds eh Timmy?

Sorry to spoil your fantasy, but finals aren't the do-or-die benchmark. Another 10 wins and fewer blowouts (from the third youngest list in the comp) would be enough to get him over the line again.

The clear emergence of a working gameplan will help too, and it has been a feature of our pre-season. We won a lot of games on pure guts last year, now we look like we might be able to win some playing some very attractive and functional team footy.
Fantasy?

Brisbane effectively lost 2 to 3 years of development
Unkess they somehow draft ready to go best 22 players over the next two years their side currently wont be able to cut it

Zorko, Leuy, Rockcliff, Redden, Hanley, Golby etc are good but cant take this tean to finals

When they begin to age in two years there will be a gigantic void where Yeo, Docherty, Longer were supposed to be

See Carlton post 2002 - with the amount of Talent Brisbane lost they will hit a cliff and hit it hard.

God forbid Sam Mayes leaves

Brisbane are in for a dark decade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unkess they somehow draft ready to go best 22 players over the next two years their side currently wont be able to cut it

Zorko, Leuy, Rockcliff, Redden, Hanley, Golby etc are good but cant take this tean to finals

When they begin to age in two years there will be a gigantic void where Yeo, Docherty, Longer were supposed to be

See Carlton post 2002 - with the amount of Talent Brisbane lost they will hit a cliff and hit it hard.

Gee Thank God the Blues held on to the likes of Bootsma then - Carlton, turning into Collingwood. Now there's a laugh.

Golby's only a year or two younger than Yeo/Docherty/Longer so he's around the same age group. Luckily we haven't drafted too badly outside of the five that are leaving in the same drafts. 2009 draft (which I know none of the players came from) we picked up Golby and Beams in the rookie draft. 2010 we still have Lester and Green. 2011 we drafted Clarke, Crisp and Michael who have all played senior footy. Of the five that left, with the exception of Yeo (and to a lesser extent, Docherty), none of them were consistent best 22 players. Whereas Golby, Lester, Green and Clarke were, and Beams would've been if he had not ruptured his ACL.

It's not the best situation, but it's not like suddenly those two drafts are write-offs, and we'll have an age gap because of those five leaving.

Dark decade comment is a bit far.

Dark decade. Please don't make me laugh. We'll be fine.

I love how the media etc love to say it will take a decade for a club to rebuild, they said it about Richmond when we were considered the worst team since the Fitzroy Lions and some thought we might not survive, 4 years later we finish with 15 wins 60,000+ members etc etc, look at Port 1 year to turn it around:eek:

The trick is to rebuild in the right way, Brisbane wont be much worse next year than this, but the following year or two may be when they really miss these recent recruits, but your new coach was fully involved in Richmond's rebuild, so at least has some experience in this area, it's on the off field that Brisbane really needs to get it's shit together a good rebuild needs to start from the top.

We are better than you - accept it

Ladder position would suggest that, yes. However I'm not sure what that has to do with this thread at all.

Surely there's a Carlton thread somewhere.

Golby's only a year or two younger than Yeo/Docherty/Longer so he's around the same age group. Luckily we haven't drafted too badly outside of the five that are leaving in the same drafts. 2009 draft (which I know none of the players came from) we picked up Golby and Beams in the rookie draft. 2010 we still have Lester and Green. 2011 we drafted Clarke, Crisp and Michael who have all played senior footy. Of the five that left, with the exception of Yeo (and to a lesser extent, Docherty), none of them were consistent best 22 players. Whereas Golby, Lester, Green and Clarke were, and Beams would've been if he had not ruptured his ACL.

It's not the best situation, but it's not like suddenly those two drafts are write-offs, and we'll have an age gap because of those five leaving.

Dark decade comment is a bit far.
If you manage to fix the situation it wont be bad
However Brisbane have shown a serious lack to maintain the talent they drafted

Effectively the Clarke trade has now become pick #33 two years later - what good are the draft picks you get now if you cant retain players.

Now I'm not saying that you can retain any players, this year could be an anomoly with the Coaching issues, Clarke went home as well though, you traded Henderson for Fevola. Obviously that was a decision by a previous administration but its setting a precedent that until proven otherwise in the coming years. That Brisbane cannot hold onto young talent.

Queensland has little AFL youth presence
Brisbane doesnt have the glamour of the Goldcoast
Limited supporting fans

The amount of kidss who would have become supporters during your triple premiership, even if they were from Melbour or Perth, would now have gone through drafting age, you might have found some wishing to play for the club they supported then, but you'd say that era was gone by now.

These things can't be fixed by a coach.
Your administration may try their hardest but Brisbane is just not that attractive to play at.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, I like Brisbane, Hanley and Rocky are jets, but I will need to see soem evidence before I believe they will not be in a bit of trouble

Did Carlton play finals because Brisbane lost to Geelong at Skilled by a point? Who is your replacement for Jarrad Waite? Glad you kept that gun Bootsma?

If you manage to fix the situation it wont be bad
However Brisbane have shown a serious lack to maintain the talent they drafted

Effectively the Clarke trade has now become pick #33 two years later - what good are the draft picks you get now if you cant retain players.

Now I'm not saying that you can retain any players, this year could be an anomoly with the Coaching issues, Clarke went home as well though, you traded Henderson for Fevola. Obviously that was a decision by a previous administration but its setting a precedent that until proven otherwise in the coming years. That Brisbane cannot hold onto young talent.

Clark didn't end up going home, he forgot about his poor grandma in Perth when Melbourne came knocking with a big bag of money.

You can't talk about Brisbane losing all their talent without mentioning that Brisbane has still retained players like Leuenberger, Rich, Redden and Rockliff, despite some massive offers coming from their home state. It's not like it's currently a revolving door where all players that are coming in, are then leaving in a few years time. We've managed to maintain the core of our side, as well as re-signing some players like Justin Clarke. Far fetch from 'Brisbane cannot hold onto young talent'.

Not sure how training Henderson for Fevola was setting a precedent when it really hasn't happened again. Mistakes were recognised, and weren't repeated. (We also got rid of the man most involved, no not Voss, Gubby Allan).

The amount of kidss who would have become supporters during your triple premiership, even if they were from Melbour or Perth, would now have gone through drafting age, you might have found some wishing to play for the club they supported then, but you'd say that era was gone by now.

These things can't be fixed by a coach.
Your administration may try their hardest but Brisbane is just not that attractive to play at.

On the point about draftees barracking for Brisbane, I'm not sure the era has passed (e.g. Toumpas who was drafted last year supported Brisbane). However, when was the last time a player left to go to the team they supported as a kid, that wasn't in their home state? I think who player's supported as a kid is given far too much weight by supporters, there are much more important factors than that. It's quite a long bow to draw.

I do agree that Brisbane have a hard time trying to attract players up there. There are many obstacles that Brisbane (as well as GWS, GC and Sydney) face that the other sides from football states don't need to face. It's why it's important for us to keep the players we have, but that's hard when you have cashed up teams from the footballing states offering them big money to come home and live close to friends and family, and offer opportunities outside of football that the non-AFL states have no chance of offering.

Success is what tends to keep players together and the fans showing up (e.g. Sydney), but the AFL is designed that teams go up and down, and the down is much harder when you're from a non-AFL state.

I'm happy to be proven wrong, I like Brisbane, Hanley and Rocky are jets, but I will need to see soem evidence before I believe they will not be in a bit of trouble

Not sure we're in trouble, but there definitely does need to be changes made. We've taken steps in doing that by ousting the chairman, and appointing Leigh Matthews onto the board. We've secured more funding from the AFL, to spend on our football department (which is one of the least well funded in the competition). There are plans afoot to build new training facilities, which subject to funding, could be ready by 2016.

While we're not in the best place at the moment, we're not in a bad a position as the media might lead you to believe. Definitely nowhere near a 'decade of darkness'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane: Not in too bad shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back