Brisbane: Not in too bad shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

TBH, you've got me there. I always shitcan rookies, as a matter of course, and believe that guys who are higher rated at one particular moment are always more elite and better prospects 'til the end of time.

Yeah...I can remember your shitcanning (nice word that) of Golby and Beams when they were rookied...interesting to note that Rockliff himself came within a hair's breadth of being on a rookie list a year earlier.

Maybe that particular piece of your philosophy as set out above needs revisiting.:)

We could talk about Justin Clarke but you'll just say "never heard of him... if you are betting on a rookie listed player to hold up your defence you are in more trouble than I thought etc etc"
Try giving your audience a little credit. If you post sarcasm that's what you will generally get back. Sometimes if you assume your reader to have a little intelligence and write as such you'll be surprised by the quality of the responses you get.

Brought to you by the campaign to raise the collective intelligence of BigFooty (tilting at windows to be sure).

Where's Polec at? I know he kicked 4 in the NEAFL, but he's been up-and-down when he's played seniors. He I remember thinking he'd be a gun when I saw him in last year's NAB Cup against us, but at the moment just looks another player.

The midfield is improving - although still needing work - but the Lions badly need to draft KPPs, with a gaping hole of young ones.

Try giving your audience a little credit. If you post sarcasm that's what you will generally get back. Sometimes if you assume your reader to have a little intelligence and write as such you'll be surprised by the quality of the responses you get.

As the post by Old Den previous to yours indicates, there is actually a historical precedent as to why I made said sarcastic comment. ;)

Where's Polec at? I know he kicked 4 in the NEAFL, but he's been up-and-down when he's played seniors. He I remember thinking he'd be a gun when I saw him in last year's NAB Cup against us, but at the moment just looks another player.

The midfield is improving - although still needing work - but the Lions badly need to draft KPPs, with a gaping hole of young ones.

Polec had virtually no pre-season, so while his skinny frame filled out he is struggling to make a consistent impact on games. When he does get the pill though he's very classy. I was initially dubious about his selection but I've come around and now think he'll complement our mids very nicely. Look for a break-out year from him next year.

As TBD alluded to, Justin Clarke is looking very promising in the magoos, but agree we need more KPD depth. Thankfully this year's draft is looking great in that area.

Polec had virtually no pre-season, so while his skinny frame filled out he is struggling to make a consistent impact on games. When he does get the pill though he's very classy. I was initially dubious about his selection but I've come around and now think he'll complement our mids very nicely. Look for a break-out year from him next year.

As TBD alluded to, Justin Clarke is looking very promising in the magoos, but agree we need more KPD depth. Thankfully this year's draft is looking great in that area.
Fair enough, I'll watch him closely next year. You need him to improve rapidly, with others drafted behind him playing great footy. You also need a key forward, with both Brown and Merrett (feels weird saying that) both getting on.

I thought at the start of the year that Brisbane would do much better than people were predicting. I thought they could finish in the 9-12 range quite easily. I looked like a bit of a douche around round 6 but they're looking much better now even without Brown playing to his capabilities.

I quite like the Lions. They really need to boost their KP stocks over the next few years with Merrett, Brown, Patfull closer to the end than the beginning but their running brigade to me looks very strong. Karnezis and Cornelius both seem to be more 3rd tall options to me but Merrett and Brown will be around for a few more years yet so they'll be OK for a little while longer.

Redden, Rockliff, Rich, Hanley, Golby all are very good or good players already and guys like Jared Polec and Josh Green could elevate themselves nicely over the next few years. Throw in Leuenberger and Longer and their midfield is in good hands.

The loss of the very versatile Mitch Clark was always going to leave a gaping hole in the Talls by itself but the Lions did gain two genuine tall prospects with last years recruiting.

Pick 29 was used in the trade for the near 22 year old now and 196 cm Jordan Lisle who can play at both ends and 195 cm KPD prospect Justin Clarke was rookied and as suggested in a previous post a look at his Roster Watch thread and the Reserves thread on the Lion's board sheds an abundance of light on his development... be that as it may,of course due attention will be given to talls in future...a side note is that 195cm KPF Bryce Retzlaff has excellent recent form in the ressies but has now suffered an ACL injury that will sideline him for a year.

By using picks 29 and 34 in trades the Lion's recruitment to the main list last year ended in the third round of the National Draft with the aquisition of Longer,Docherty,Yeo,Wearden,Lisle and Zorko.

I reckon Polec will be a beauty. Needs to build up his endurance, has to get to a lot more contests. Also needs the ability to win his own ball a bit more, but you would want him predominately as the receiver due to his silky skills.

Ahhh, that old chestnut nut: 'only won because the opposition played poorly'

Was wondering why the tigers were winning games.

In all seriousness, I'm a firm believer that you only play as well as the opposition lets you.

Still some way to go but credit where credit is due.

I'd say Richmond have won games because they played well, like Brisbane have. Fact is though, the dogs are in a hole, have no real forwards and kicked poorly all match. It was noticeable in the commentary, both on tv, radio and internet how poor the dogs were. Brisbane played well, no doubt. but the dogs were terrible and I think if Brisbane played a team without as many issues as the dogs do, they wouldn't win, or win by so much.

The problem with the dogs is that they have a pretty decent midfield, and Boyd, Griffen and Cooney could easily surprass Deledio, Cotchin and Martin for class. But Cooney has gone down, and they're struggling for rucks and forwards. Honestly, beating up on a struggling dogs side, who had a very off day isn't that impressive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say Richmond have won games because they played well, like Brisbane have. Fact is though, the dogs are in a hole, have no real forwards and kicked poorly all match. It was noticeable in the commentary, both on tv, radio and internet how poor the dogs were. Brisbane played well, no doubt. but the dogs were terrible and
I think if Brisbane played a team without as many issues as the dogs do, they wouldn't win, or win by so much.

The problem with the dogs is that they have a pretty decent midfield, and Boyd, Griffen and Cooney could easily surprass Deledio, Cotchin and Martin for class. But Cooney has gone down, and they're struggling for rucks and forwards. Honestly, beating up on a struggling dogs side, who had a very off day isn't that impressive.

a team like say west coast?

a team like say west coast?

First of all, I said that Brisbane have won some good games. But things being equal, Brisbane have to have a really good game to beat a top eight side, and like Essendon v Melbourne, Brisbane v West Coast was an anomaly. Look, all I'm saying is that you've beaten a team which has a 46 point losing margin. That's not healthy.

First of all, I said that Brisbane have won some good games. But things being equal, Brisbane have to have a really good game to beat a top eight side, and like Essendon v Melbourne, Brisbane v West Coast was an anomaly. Look, all I'm saying is that you've beaten a team which has a 46 point losing margin. That's not healthy.

Nope. It was a win out of sheer grit, determination and skill, don't you dare take that away from us. We outclassed the Eagles everywhere on that day, but the umpires made the game that much closer giving away soft free kicks in the forwad 50 for the Eagles.

Nope. It was a win out of sheer grit, determination and skill, don't you dare take that away from us. We outclassed the Eagles everywhere on that day, but the umpires made the game that much closer giving away soft free kicks in the forwad 50 for the Eagles.

I'll do whatever I damn like. And in the grander scheme of things, I'm right. Put West Coast and Brisbane on the gabba tomorrow, and I guarantee that West Coast are raging favourites. The lions merely pulled the eagles pants down and ran away.

It always interests me seeing what opposition supporters come up with to explain club events and operations like wins, drafting and trades etc when they don't really know much about the Lions or watch their matches.
It's kinda hard to know a fair bit about us considering we only have like 2-3 games on FTA.
The other knowledge coming from drafting and trading results in memes being created such as "crazy vossy".

Hopefully Melbourne play poorly this week so we get a win.

Maybe if port and the bulldogs play poor games later in the year we will get wins against them and push to 8-9 wins against teams that performed poorly.

Come to think of it, games against hawks, blues, bombers and pies the lions were quite poor in. Maybe that's the reason those teams won on the day.

;)

My point is, you only play as well as the opposition lets you. Its disrespectful to think any other way.

Having said that, Brisbane need to earn that respect yet so I don't begreude others having that opinion at this point in time.

Hopefully Melbourne play poorly this week so we get a win.

Maybe if port and the bulldogs play poor games later in the year we will get wins against them and push to 8-9 wins against teams that performed poorly.

Come to think of it, games against hawks, blues, bombers and pies the lions were quite poor in. Maybe that's the reason those teams won on the day.

;)

My point is, you only play as well as the opposition lets you. Its disrespectful to think any other way.

Having said that, Brisbane need to earn that respect yet so I don't begreude others having that opinion at this point in time.

Remember 2001 to 2003 when we played poor teams every week for three years? Good times.

Yep, agree, finals are worth 10 games of experience compared to a normal H&A game. That being said; we wont make finals in 2012.
i agree to an extent buts whats the point of making the finals if your going to waste a spot like essendon have recently

getting destroyed by adelaide and especially carlton isnt worth it and still think it will do more harm than good

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane: Not in too bad shape.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back