Brisbane V Geelong Post Match Review Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Excuses like "Harley needs Scarlett" or "it wasn't his sort of game" or "he's the guy that goes 3rd man up" or "he has a different role now" have been around for too long.

Sorry mate but in this day-an-age if you aren't restricting a quality defender your expected to provide quality rebound skills. Harley fits into neither category and has been well hidden in a quality defense.

Harley very rarely plays KP anymore, there is no need for him to. He has been quality on much smaller opponents. Harleys footy brain is second to none.

Excuses like .......... "he has a different role now" have been around for too long.

For crying out loud, that's not an excuse, it's simply the role he plays, and plays exceptionally well. :rolleyes:

Sorry mate but in this day-an-age if you aren't restricting a quality defender .....

I'd post the list [ again ] of the quality small/midsize forwards he's toweled over the last few years but I have the feeling it would be a waste of time with you.

It was a very disappointing effort tonight.
It's silly but amazing how we are now Fifteen Rounds into the Season now and we are still failing to work on our few tactical weaknesses that have now nearly cost us (And occassionally have cost us) several times.
Fortunately, I didn't watch much of the Match tonight. Robert Walls' drivel and our effort tonight have really made my day! :rolleyes:
Mark Blake is simply not up to it. His effort tonight really typified this and he is too slow and sluggish. I know in the absence of Ottens he is the man for the job, but when Ottens is right, he may be watching from the Stands most of the time.
Blake has had plenty of time to prove himself, but he hasn't convinced me and many others. As I mentioned, he is just not up to it and when Ottens is right (And if he plays like he did tonight) he will hopefully not be featuring in our line-up too often.

No need to panic on most points.
Harley is a worry now, isn't looking nearly as good as this time last year.
Hawkins was better tonight but kicking is still very shoddy.
Mooney was good at times but went to ground in a marking contest more then he should.
The young blokes all showed a bit and had a crack, not much more you can ask of them.
Wojcinski should stay in the side.
Rooke is going to be very valuable come finals time.
We would still smash Melbourne with the side we had tonight.

I reckon we will get the majority of players back for Round 17. I believe Bomber will use this game as a launching pad for the rest of the season.
Smack the reigning premiers and peak come finals time, because we have nowhere near peaked yet. No need to panic just yet.

Just got back from the game and it's pretty hard to judge realistically, considering how many players were out, but a few things we're obvious.

1. Tenace: I can handle a bad game from a 1st gamer or a rookie, but this guy should never ever ever get a game for us. He's layed 50 games, he's never going to make it. Just stop naming him. now.
2. Lonergan looks slower in the flesh. It's hard to see him ever being 1st choice.
3. Gamble will remain on the fringe until he can take his chances, doesn't seem to work hard enough.
4. Stokes. Is he injured? Intensity is way down. Seems to hold back and not attack the ball like he used to.
5. Bartel was played out of position all night, as was selwood, maybe they were sore or maybe the geelong coaches were taking the p!ss. Seeing Tenace in the centre with bartel on the flank confirmed it for me.
6. Brown and Bradshaw should be disappointed they didn't do more againt a vfl backline.
7. Mumford is improving every week, Blake is not. Far more flexible and made our forwardline livelier when he was there.

Would not surprise me if we were tapering, Saints like Geelong in 07 will want to win every week, if this was 07, most of our players would have played - I think we learned a hard lesson in 08 about finals momentum - Hawks had it, we didn't - this year we will have it. We're seeing players being rested and fringe players in key positions.

Agree with most post on here. Anyway here's my two cents worth.

Lonergan & Tenace have surely played their last games for the club

Gillies will be a ten year player. Played his first game with most of the defence missing. How good will he be when he's got Scarlo, Dash, Mackie & Hunt backing him up. Think it's pretty well recognized how strong last years draft was. Just a pity Mitch Brown broke his leg.

Hogan is definitely the best of the fringe players but Djeukera & Laidler also showed a bit.

Mumford is definitely now the number 2 Ruck at the club. Imagine how good he'd be if he had 60 odd games into him like Blake. Should've traded Blake to St Kilda when they wanted him and kept King, rather than the other way round.

Anyway, think tonight probably did more good than if we had of gone up there with a full team and won by 6 or 7

We're 13-2 with a number of players to come back, we haven't had Ottens for the majority of the season. If any of us had been offered the current scenario at Round 1 we'd all have grabbed it with both hands.

Whether we've got players that are genuinely injured or just being rested the key thing is that we're set for the Finals series (given that our top 2 spot is all but a certainty). We saw what happened last year when we had guys that either weren't 100% or fatigued in the Finals. After the run that our side has had (55 wins from the last 60 games) I don't think losing a couple of games in a row or losing another one or two before the end of the season will effect their belief or endeavour.

Bartel looked and played as if he wished he was 1 of the outs

Agreed!

What happened to Bartel tonight guys.....he was pretty average.

The Mummy was pretty good, his best game for a while IMHO :)

Harley's form at the moment is worrying, but he does need more game time. Interrupted pre-season (knee) and has only returned from a hammy in recent weeks (IIRC this is his third game back). Better that he be playing like this now than later on when it counts.

Re Mumford v Blake: I though Blake started really well, was involved after the ruck contests and around the ground. Disappeared after quarter time though. Mumford however kept up his efforts all night. Nice goal in the last.

I was impressed with Hogan's continued running and involvement in the play. Djerkurra for me was good until his injury hampered his running. Even though he didn't get involved in the play alot before his injury he still had presence. Gillies too was promising. Laidler started with a few mistakes but improved as the game went on, I thought some of his kicks late in the game were great.

On the :thumbsdown:: Tenace, Lonergan and Gamble were very disappointing.

Bartel, Byrnes and Stokes were way too quiet. Selwood started like this but kept trying as the game went on.

Hawkins improved from last week and was unlucky not to have two more shots at goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't a troll, BTW, but there was always a chance that Bartel & Selwood might not look as good last night without the likes of Ablett, Ling taking the pressure off them. It's easier to be a star when you're the 2nd & 3rd midfielders with your tagger taking out the oppo's #1 as opposed to being 1 & 2 with no tagger to stop the #1. Selwood ran with Black and was towelled up by him in the first half, though Selwood did have a good 2nd half. Bartel had a shocker. Had Ablett and Ling played, Ling would've very likely gone to Black, freeing up Selwood, and Bartel would've had the pressure taken off him by Ablett being there.

This isn't a "fault" of your club, it's just that as a result Bartel and Selwood get an easier time of AFL footy than they would at other clubs. The perfect example is Daniel Kerr: look how well he played when he was the 3rd mid playing under Juda$ and Cousins. No tag, an average midfielder from the oppo most weeks on him, great times for Kerr. Now, he's the #1 mid and life is not fun.

Essentially, that's what happens when you have a strong midfield, others look better by virtue of their effect.

Still, plenty of things to be excited about from a Lions POV too BTW, the obvious one being the wonderfully talented Daniel Rich. Simon Black also had a great night and is having a great year. The loss of Jed Adcock, however, is devastating.

Best of luck.

The fact you've never seen me here before suddenly indicates that you've supported Geelong longer than I've been living does it? Want to have a crack at my join date while you're at it?

You can question the clubs integrity if you wish, but it hardly seems appropriate in my eyes. But hey, maybe that's just me.

And 'blame the umpires' did I? I said some decisions were baffling, I didn't blame them for anything. Thanks for the 'get used to it' right at the end too, 'cause I'm new to this football caper. :rolleyes:

You spoke of arrogance in your first post, I must say your second reeks of it.

I totally agree with you The Riddler, well said:thumbsu:;)

This isn't a troll, BTW, but there was always a chance that Bartel & Selwood might not look as good last night without the likes of Ablett, Ling taking the pressure off them. It's easier to be a star when you're the 2nd & 3rd midfielders with your tagger taking out the oppo's #1 as opposed to being 1 & 2 with no tagger to stop the #1. Selwood ran with Black and was towelled up by him in the first half, though Selwood did have a good 2nd half. Bartel had a shocker. Had Ablett and Ling played, Ling would've very likely gone to Black, freeing up Selwood, and Bartel would've had the pressure taken off him by Ablett being there.

This isn't a "fault" of your club, it's just that as a result Bartel and Selwood get an easier time of AFL footy than they would at other clubs. The perfect example is Daniel Kerr: look how well he played when he was the 3rd mid playing under Juda$ and Cousins. No tag, an average midfielder from the oppo most weeks on him, great times for Kerr. Now, he's the #1 mid and life is not fun.

Essentially, that's what happens when you have a strong midfield, others look better by virtue of their effect.

Still, plenty of things to be excited about from a Lions POV too BTW, the obvious one being the wonderfully talented Daniel Rich. Simon Black also had a great night and is having a great year. The loss of Jed Adcock, however, is devastating.

Best of luck.
Yeah, not a troll. :rolleyes:

My 2 cents:

* Hawkins would be a gun if he just had the confidence to go back and slot one through, he seems to put himself under alot of pressure when he's taking a set shot.
* Stokes just dosen't look right to me. Byrnes & Varcoe are definately ahead of him this year.
* That was officially Tenace's last game in the blue & white hoops...I hope.
* Hogan needs to stay in the side, atleast during the home & away games. He will be an awesome player, and I don't want another Prismall.
* I thought Taylor did an excellent job at Full Back.
* I reckon people are being a tad harsh on Lonergan. He was playing on one of the premier players in the competition, without the usual chop outs our defence gives each other, and with the delivery Brown got nobody would have stopped him tonight.
* The more i'm seeing of Mumford the more i'm loving him. Has a big influence around the ground. Definately our 2nd ruckman behind Ottens.

A few observations. Probably just part of my wishful thinking.

Others have pointed out some strange goings on re tactics during the game. I want to throw in a few more.

1. Selwood tagging for the first 1 and a half quarters? Obviously not as good at tagging as winning the ball - as we saw in the second half.
2. Bartel on the fringes - not used up forward at all? Holding him back?
3. Lonergan not moved - was fair until the avalanche of unpressured delivery gave Brown every advantage (and he doesn't need them). Harry is earmarked for Brown in future so he was not used there knowing that the delivery would likely be good and support would be limited. Keep that powder dry. Lonergan was sacrificed somewhat - not pretty.
4. Gillies not asked to go to Brown or Bradshaw (except for a couple of brief stints with Harry off) knowing he hasn't had time to build a tank yet.
5 Rich not tagged - lets find out how much attention we have to pay to this kid later on (the answer = lots). I thought this would have been the only way to use Tenace in the second half.
6. Harley not used on Bradshaw and Taylor to Brown (see 3)
7. someone mentioned the tapering earlier. Our mob looked like they had been through hell on the track. Or was it just the tough game last week. WCE odds at Subi look juicy for a couple of dollars today= put your money where your theories are!

Thats the hopeful thinking done and dusted.

Now for something that has had me thinking lots for 12 months now. How come Brisbane (and other good sides (read Hawks last GF)) can get key forwards one out close to goal? We don't seem to be able to do it. Last night was a good example. Hawkins usually had two or even 3 players blocking and defending when he was close in. Brown and Bradshaw often one out.

For mine the positives: Hogan looked to have more flavour than I thought. His kicking suprised me at times = good. Mumford did move very well up forward and around the ground. Gillies OK (but not asked to take on a big job), DJK looked OK early but that quad is gone again. Laidler looked dumstruck early but finished OK.

I am worried about the lack of accountability of our forward line players. players like stokes and gamble just seemed to let there men run out of the fifty and don't chase. We need another defensive forward with extreme pace to put pressure on the ball carriers.

We need a lead-up forward i believe we don't have a target on the half forward line.

Laidler started badly but got better as the game went on. I think we need to get a few more games into him this year.

Was impressed with hogan. As he plays more games he will back himself even more (we saw glimpses tonight). Djerkurra was to hard to tell. Why was he one the ground when injured??

I like the look a gillies, i would have liked to see him spend 10 mins on jonathon brown when the game was effectively over. Again is very raw and needs more games. Another poster said on here he reminds them of brian lake, i hope so.

Mumford showed good signs. Good to see him chase when down forward. I would like to see him down there more often due to his competitive nature

Harley needs more games to get match fitness, i was more disappointed in the fact that there seemed to be no leadership in the backline.

Not much lonergan could have done, i felt sorry for him when he was getting it kicked to brown lace out due to the lack of pressure down field.

It will be interesting to see if we trade stokes or gamble at the end of the year. Stokes seems to only want to do the easy stuff and they both come across as selfish. I was really hoping they would both step up as they are hard matchups when they are in form

Don't need to comment on blake

Yeah, not a troll. :rolleyes:

Typical response.

Myself and other Lions got together with lots of Cats in the Pineapple pub after the game, to talk freely about the game.

Even taking the piss - from boths sides - was allowed.

But when its posted quite civily and right on the button, its trolling.

You were spot on Duritz.

Typical response.

Myself and other Lions got together with lots of Cats in the Pineapple pub after the game, to talk freely about the game.

Even taking the piss - from boths sides - was allowed.

But when its posted quite civily and right on the button, its trolling.

You were spot on Duritz.
Going by who the poster was, i guarantee it was a troll.

Going by who the poster was, i guarantee it was a troll.

I don't always troll... just on Bay 13 I mostly do, though sometimes they're serious, like when it's about punting for example. They are always serious. That post was a serious post too.

Anyway, that was my 2c about the game. Very glad we got the 4 points.

Postives

Enright - Absolute champ. Does the job week in and out and doesn't get the accolades he derserves.
Chapman - Pure class. Definitley one of our most important players.
Hogan and Mumford - Showed some real heart and great potential. Real goers.
Hawkins - respond well from last week. Tried really hard and shows he does have heart.

Negatives

Gamble - Show pony. Didn't show anything when the game was hot. No heart and liability from set shots.
Lonergan - Great story to comeback but is NOT an AFL footballer. You know your career is over when you start crying after the game.
Harley - Sadly looks to be on his last legs. He will be more effective when our A grade backline comes back. He has definitley lost a step and goes to ground too easy.
Blake - USELESS around the ground. Did not give has anything tonight. Gone when/if Ottens comes back.

Pretty acuurate summation I think.

Could I add on Lonergan he was really thrown to the wolves by the match committee. First game for a long time and he's on J Brown. His confidence will be compleltely shot now.

I am very disappointed with Gamble. Really thought this year he could add a lot to the side. I think the term "show pony" is unfortunately accurate.

And Hawkins - he tried hard tonight. Got a few tough decisions too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane V Geelong Post Match Review Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back