Brisbane V Geelong Post Match Review Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Like the hard efforts of Jeremy Laidler, I'd be trying to play him and Gillies from now on.
They need the exposure at senior level.
Simon Hogans' got what it takes, Mumford rucking or playing lead-up forward is a new find for the club.
Gamble really was clueless, he's not good enough or hungry enough.
Felt a bit sorry for Lonergan, the Brisbane passing was miles better than ours, he tries but was smashed on the night by Brown and the umpires.
Funny I thought Tenace got a bit of the ball, but after that doesn't do much with it.
Maybe we should look at the selection of Scott West over Blake, really what would we loose by trying. Its not as if we're dropping a superstar.

I don't always troll... just on Bay 13 I mostly do, though sometimes they're serious, like when it's about punting for example. They are always serious. That post was a serious post too.

Anyway, that was my 2c about the game. Very glad we got the 4 points.

Glad you got the 4 points also, would love to play you guys in a final

Harley very rarely plays KP anymore, there is no need for him to.

There was 'need' last night but we all feel better that Lonergan gets embarrassed than our great captain... He's a protected species..

He has been quality on much smaller opponents.

Yes, he is.

Harleys footy brain is second to none.

A helpful addition to the "Harley excuse list."

Geelongs depth been tested is it? :)
Try going a whole season with rookies - You'll wanna smash the tv every week!

It will be interesting to see if we trade stokes or gamble at the end of the year. Stokes seems to only want to do the easy stuff and they both come across as selfish. I was really hoping they would both step up as they are hard matchups when they are in form

Yep I thought they were our two most disappointing players, for both it was a big chance to cement a spot and they were terrible. I don't want to see Gamble in the seniors again this year. Complete showpony and totally unwilling to do any hard work. I like how he tried to kick around the corner from a set shot and put it into row Z - classy stuff, well done you hero. How about convert the goal in regulation fashion.

Very impressed with both Laidler and Gillies, and of course Mumford. Showed a desperation some of our senior players (especially Bartel) completely lacked. Gillies looks to have terrific poise and composure. I would try very hard to keep him in the side, and drop a more established player for him. Might send a message to the more arrogant egos in the team that hard work will be rewarded.

I also excuse Chapman and Enright from any criticism. Both were great. Worked their butts off for 4 quarters and showed exactly how it's meant to be done. Thought Mooney and Hawkins tried hard too with appalling delivery.

When more than half of your team consists of VFL players, only the most optimistic (or daft) of individuals would have expected to win this game.

That said I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to change my tip, doh. :eek:

This isn't a troll, BTW, but there was always a chance that Bartel & Selwood might not look as good....

Yeah keep on thinking that, it merely confirms your ignorance.

It's amazing how many overrated hacks we have who are only made to look good because of a soft baldy cry-baby hand-ball happy outside recieving seagull.

I often wonder how on earth we managed to win 55 out of 58, oh yeah we pay the umpires to keep us in games and gift us non-existent frees etc, etc, etc......... It's a conspiracy I tell ya, the AFL want Geelong to win the next 10 Premierships! :eek: :rolleyes: :p

I don't always troll... just on Bay 13 I mostly do, though sometimes they're serious, like when it's about punting for example. They are always serious. That post was a serious post too.

Anyway, that was my 2c about the game. Very glad we got the 4 points.

Please GTFO. You aren't capable of unbiased, intelligent analysis. You're a troll and you aren't welcome here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't a troll, BTW, but there was always a chance that Bartel & Selwood might not look as good last night without the likes of Ablett, Ling taking the pressure off them. It's easier to be a star when you're the 2nd & 3rd midfielders with your tagger taking out the oppo's #1 as opposed to being 1 & 2 with no tagger to stop the #1. Selwood ran with Black and was towelled up by him in the first half, though Selwood did have a good 2nd half. Bartel had a shocker. Had Ablett and Ling played, Ling would've very likely gone to Black, freeing up Selwood, and Bartel would've had the pressure taken off him by Ablett being there.

This isn't a "fault" of your club, it's just that as a result Bartel and Selwood get an easier time of AFL footy than they would at other clubs. The perfect example is Daniel Kerr: look how well he played when he was the 3rd mid playing under Juda$ and Cousins. No tag, an average midfielder from the oppo most weeks on him, great times for Kerr. Now, he's the #1 mid and life is not fun.

Essentially, that's what happens when you have a strong midfield, others look better by virtue of their effect.

Still, plenty of things to be excited about from a Lions POV too BTW, the obvious one being the wonderfully talented Daniel Rich. Simon Black also had a great night and is having a great year. The loss of Jed Adcock, however, is devastating.

Best of luck.

OK an easy reply then since you've been called a troll and didn't like it.

Bartel looked like he needed the week off too after his enormous performance the week before and as for Selwood, he's generally been the one that has stepped up whenever Ablett has been out, I imagine you don't watch the Cats closely if at all unless they're playing Brisbane. He just didn't have a big influence either, that's all. Probably like Bartel from smashing into packs all game last week against the 'Aints. I wouldn't be suprised if a few that played last night don't get a rest in the next few weeks to rest any niggles/soreness.

How long is Joel Coreys disposal going to be overlooked?

It's always been his weakness. Never a doubt about his ability to work hard and find the ball but execution once he gets the ball ihas always been hit or miss. Sometimes he can deliver bullet passes from 50m, others he can't hit targets 20m away.

Just as an aside to Dawk supporters coming on here telling us how it feels to have so many out injured, there's a difference.

Hawthorn went into the season like it, they'd had the preseason to try and work a game plan in with all of the changes. They've had some continuity with the new players. Geelong's appears hopefully to have been a one week thing, so it's different. Almost half the team changed in one fell swoop with no chance to work them into the game plan and really no need to if most of the outs are back in in the next couple of weeks.

IMO Geelong could comfortably accomodate 2 to 4 changes in a week against the majority of teams. 7 or 8 no one could. If they're all still out/rested this week I'd expect Melbourne to win too unless they're tanking.

Wouldn't worry about a thing.

We have money in the bank, only really need to win another 3 games to secure top 4 if not second spot and we have put some game time into our fringe players resting our core group of players.

NOt only that, but importantly we have been beaten twice now and the boys will realise that the competition is a lot better now - hopefully this inspires the group to work relentlessly and get that steel back into their game.

Wouldn't suprise me to see Bartel accept the week off, Selwood take a rest and for us to bring back at least Ablett, Varcoe, Scarlett, Mackie and maybe David Johnson?

I think the Mumford debate has been settled, he is now officially our 2nd ruck and hopefully Otto' gets back within the next two weeks to form a partnership with him. Any news on Otto' by the way?

It's always been his weakness. Never a doubt about his ability to work hard and find the ball but execution once he gets the ball ihas always been hit or miss. Sometimes he can deliver bullet passes from 50m, others he can't hit targets 20m away.

I think when his form is down the first thing you notice is his kicking goes off. When he is up I think his kicking is generally OK. Corey Enright can be like that too.

every time we lose a game were always out numbered 3 to 1 in the forward line.Is this a delivery problem or the way we structure up forward ?

whenwe ablett comes back we obvioudly need to make sure hes delivering the ball as often as possible into the forward line.

every time we lose a game were always out numbered 3 to 1 in the forward line.Is this a delivery problem or the way we structure up forward ?

whenwe ablett comes back we obvioudly need to make sure hes delivering the ball as often as possible into the forward line.

I think it is a tactic Hawthorn used on us to good effect in Last years GF. The opposition backmen stay back and let our small forwards run up the field and do what ever they want. So when the ball is delivered our tall forwards are outnumbered and we have no crumbers there. They spoil and clear it easily.

It has been a flaw in our forward line for many years

Tom Harley - reigning All Australian, a couple of games back returning from injury, surrounded by a bunch of kids, didn't have a good game.

BFD.

Runs on the board.

Will play an integral part of the rest of our season and it will continue to grind the gears of CatFan79.

Re: One Contested mark

he had a chance to grab one in front of brown later on in the match but he was to scared

i think the lions victory last night was great! yes i know the cats were missing alot of great players but so were the lions! even if the lions were at full strength they are not anywhere near a champion side like geelong. when geelong beat us by 15 goals this it really hurt the lions and gave us a wake up call look at the lions stats last night they really lifted last night to make up for their poor effort ealier this year. don't worry geelong will bounce back they a great team they will win the flag {sorry its wishful thinking but hope the lions can prove me wrong}

When more than half of your team consists of VFL players, only the most optimistic (or daft) of individuals would have expected to win this game.

That said I'm still kicking myself for forgetting to change my tip, doh. :eek:
Truth is the cats were never going to win this one...you take 7 or 8 players from a lower standard competition team that at best is ordinary, (vfl team), whose own individual form has been not much better than average and expect them to beat a potential afl finalist who is a 5 goal better side at home..not gonna happen...but to quote BB..."its time to go" Tenace, Blake, Gamble and Lonergan..... with 7 weeks to go surely we have time to "rest" Blake and give West a go...should a least have a decent look at him befor we trade him?

How long is Joel Coreys disposal going to be overlooked?

Agree with that - JC blazed away on the 50 kicking to a contest when Byrnes was on for a goal with a simple inside handpass. Rooke (bless his heart) also guilty of blazing away on one occasion when teammates free in the square. Just because the team had ommissions doesn't mean you have to win it with very kick. Play the simple pass to the open man. Not a surprise to lose that one although sad to see the boys fail to use basic teamwork on occasions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane V Geelong Post Match Review Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back