Universal Love Brodie Grundy man love (bumped, see post #909)

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree we need them both to work on forward play to make this happen, we need them to get Salmon esque.

Grundy is coming along very well.
I'll back em in though. Both have shown they can play forward, especially Wittsy in games last year.

Go back to last year against Melbourne on Queens Birthday and watch Grundy stream out from FF. Hopefully he can develop on that.

Agree we need them both to work on forward play to make this happen, we need them to get Salmon esque.

Grundy is coming along very well.

and With both Playing. You can put 1 in the FWD 50 for a Whole Qtr and then Swap for the Next QTR

I'll back em in though. Both have shown they can play forward, especially Wittsy in games last year.

Go back to last year against Melbourne on Queens Birthday and watch Grundy stream out from FF. Hopefully he can develop on that.

And he took 1 on Anzac Day

I don't think Grundy/Witts combo works unfortunately. I hope to be proven wrong, but both offer very little up forward. Game has gone past 2 genuine rucks playing together.

Freo are a top 4 side with Sandi and Clarke... probably the closest to what we would hope for from Witts and Grundy.
Hawthorn play 2 of McEvoy, Ceglar and Hale. (and only Hale can really be counted as a true combo-forward/ruck).
Geelong played a lot of McIntosh and Simpson together last year, with Blivacs also playing most games.

There is still a role for 2 ruckman - but they also have to be guys who can be accountable around the ground as well.

I don't know if the Witts/Grundy combo will work, but I think it was ok for parts last year, and we definitely need to give it a good crack this year. And its not like our other option (playing White as the 2nd ruck) is particularly setting the world on fire.

I don't think Witts is that far away from being able to provide a poor-man's David Hale like performance up forward. Consistently take a few grabs, kick a goal a game, and keep the 3rd tall defender accountable, and IMO that is enough for him to get the 2nd ruck spot. Grundy is also showing more around the ground where, like Clarke, he doesn't need to sit deep in the forward line when resting.

I just think we have to stay flexible over the next couple of years and see what pans out. There is always the chance of it not working out - but the upside of being able to play both guys together is just too good to pass up IMO. Plus with the risk of one of them getting injured, I don't think we can afford to even consider a trade for either of them.

Two incidents stay in my mind one when he and another player were lumbering for a loose ball on the wing and the play when in the ruck he palmed one straight to Swan, who then went I50.
Yes Oxley had the lateral option and instead curiously decided to kick longer over Grundy's head and make him run onto the ball. Fair enough Grundy recognised he couldn't make it a contest, but once Savage fumbled he put his head down and sprinted to tackle him.

He needs to work on getting more hit-outs to advantage before anything else. He's getting his hand to the ball plenty, and effecting the contest around the ground more than most other ruckmen would, but his HOs to advantage are still below his opposition every week.

Would also need help from the Mids as well to get it to them. It’s not just Grundy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dave. Taking your heart out of things and just on talent alone. Grundy or Daniher? Both highly rated talls in the same draft

I know you asked Dave but surely you'd have to still go with Daniher being a KPF... Although I think Grundy has shown more as a ruckman than Daniher as a KPF to suggest the hype is real at this stage.

Cant really compare because Grundy is just 21 last week. Sandi hadnt played a game of AFL footy at the same age

Yeah and it's only showing 3 games for Grundy when you select 21 :S. Sandilands came off the rookie list which is why it took him longer to get going too.

I'd love to compare him to Dean Cox as I think he's a much more similar comparison, but although you can find his stats on footywire it doesn't let you compare retired players to currently playing ones :(

Cant really compare because Grundy is just 21 last week. Sandi hadnt played a game of AFL footy at the same age

Oops, didn't see that when I posted the above links.

Actually Sandi didn't turn 21 until december - had played a whole season by that stage.

Without going to the effort of posting them all individually - all of those guys had pretty similar stats at the same age. (Sandi was a bit better). I don't think you can read too much into that though.

Dave. Taking your heart out of things and just on talent alone. Grundy or Daniher? Both highly rated talls in the same draft

I say at the Moment Daniher is making the Bigger Impact but When they reach there Primes - I am not sure

Grundy has been mighty so far this year and he is also running out games which is great to see.
I think both he and Witts will need to be managed throughout the year and the fact we have them both is a very good thing.
At the moment I am inclined to think both in the side with one or the other occasionally resting in the forward pocket would offer us at the very least as much as Gault right now, Gault has shown some good signs and is a project but I think either Witts or Grundy in a pocket would do just as well.

Grundy has been mighty so far this year and he is also running out games which is great to see.
I think both he and Witts will need to be managed throughout the year and the fact we have them both is a very good thing.
At the moment I am inclined to think both in the side with one or the other occasionally resting in the forward pocket would offer us at the very least as much as Gault right now, Gault has shown some good signs and is a project but I think either Witts or Grundy in a pocket would do just as well.

Agree, Witts and Grundy would probably offer more then Gault does. Both Can take a Mark and can kick a Goal or 2. Both good set-shot on Goal

Agree, Witts and Grundy would probably offer more then Gault does. Both Can take a Mark and can kick a Goal or 2. Both good set-shot on Goal

I was really worried about Grundys kicking for goal when he was first drafted. Saw him at training one day and he couldnt kick from 30m directly in front. He has really improved his kicking - maybe he can now teach trav ;)

I was really worried about Grundys kicking for goal when he was first drafted. Saw him at training one day and he couldnt kick from 30m directly in front. He has really improved his kicking - maybe he can now teach trav ;)

Was that in his 1st Year at the Club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Brodie Grundy man love (bumped, see post #909)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back