Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand the point of the question. We have both, and I'm happy to have both. It's not a matter of either or.

Grundy is a considerably better and more well-rounded ruck than Cameron.
The point of the question was to ascertain value differences between Grundy and Cameron. You being happy to have both is great but not what I my question was replying to or asking about.

Adelaide, Port Adelaide, North Melbourne, GWS, Geelong, Brisbane, Hawthorn, Richmond, Western Bulldogs, Essendon
I'd be very disappointed if we were to pay Grundy that sort of money.

He would be a massive upgrade on your current stocks
Is he currently a better player than our current rucks? Yes, but look at our profile. Draper is a pretty handy ruck and is 4 and a half years younger than Grundy, and at their current rates I would expect Draper to be a better ruck in 2024, by which time Grundy will be 30 anyway. Not old for a ruck, but he doesn't fit the age profile of our list so I would rather spend the money in an area in more dire need, like getting a Josh Dunkley or the like.

It isn't about getting a player that will improve us next year, it's about getting a player that gets us closer to winning a flag (cue haven't won a final in x days joke) and Grundy isn't that.

If the Pies retain Grundy and de Goey then bring in McStay you start to wonder if another firesale is on the cards.

Or are there big retirements coming ?
Sidebum, Howe and Pendles will all be on less coin next year, Roughhead already retired so yeah there’s quite a bit of freed up cap space I would say.

Unless they are absolutely desperate to get his contract off the books, it makes no sense for Collingwood to trade him.

Either they'll get big unders for him so another club can take the entire salary, or they end up paying part of his contract to play at another club. No real upside to either of those unless it's purely out of desperation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless they are absolutely desperate to get his contract off the books, it makes no sense for Collingwood to trade him.

Either they'll get big unders for him so another club can take the entire salary, or they end up paying part of his contract to play at another club. No real upside to either of those unless it's purely out of desperation.
Hopefully our desperation days are behind us with the previous administration and Ned Guy gone.

AFL Moneyball 2022: All the latest in trades, free agency and player contracts​

Collingwood is mulling a raid on as many as three players from one club — and Brodie Grundy could be at the centre of an extraordinary mega deal. LATEST TRADE NEWS

Jay Clark, Marc McGowan, Glenn McFarlane and Jon Ralph

6 min read
July 15, 2022 - 6:00AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

Dual All-Australian ruckman Brodie Grundy’s playing future remains clouded as Collingwood considers a raid on three out-of-contract Giants.

The Pies’ decision on Grundy, whose $1 million-a-year contract still has five seasons to run, could unlock an extraordinary mega deal, given Bobby Hill, Tim Taranto and Tanner Bruhn are believed to be in their sights.

They are also considered certain to sign Brisbane Lions free agent Daniel McStay, so something will have to give if they are to bring in a major trade haul.

Grundy, who hails from South Australia, would need to give the green light to any potential trade, with Port Adelaide also keeping tabs on the situation.
But the Power’s interest in the 28-year-old big man hedges on Collingwood being willing to pay a chunk of his contract.

Brodie Grundy in a Giants’ guernsey? Don’t rule it out.

Adding to the complexity is that Greater Western Sydney is also bracing for the possibility that star midfielder Jacob Hopper, a free agent next year, makes a trade request.

Hopper was a boarder at St Patrick’s College in Ballarat and is on Geelong’s wishlist as the Cats sweep the league for midfield talent, while Richmond is eyeing off Hopper and Taranto.

Asked about his future on Thursday, Hopper, who’s been sidelined for all bar one game this year after a second bout of knee surgery, told News Corp he was focused on playing again.

“It’s pretty straightforward, really. Let people talk, but, at the end of the day, I haven’t played footy all year and I’m pretty keen to just go out there and chase the pill,” Hopper said.

“This is my first one back for a long time, so I’m pretty keen to just play footy for the Giants and try and win some games.
“It’s an odd time of the year. It’s new terrain for us, because we’re normally playing finals … but there’s some boys with decisions to make, which always makes it strange for everybody involved.”

Jacob Hopper is primarily concerned with getting back on the park after injuries have so far ruined his season. Picture: Phil Hillyard

Grundy is still as many as three weeks away from returning from a knee injury that marred his season and gave understudy Darcy Cameron the opportunity to shine.

It’s understood his preference at this stage is to stay in black and white, while Magpies coach Craig McRae said on Thursday he was keen for Grundy to stick around.

“Do we want Brodie Grundy here? Yes, we do,” McRae said.
“I’m really excited by watching him progress from injury. He’s only a couple of weeks away from playing. I think in this competition; you always need to keep getting better.

“You can’t stand still. Where can we get improvement in the next six weeks? I think Brodie can give us significant improvement, particularly in our centre bounces.”

Collingwood baulked at making a serious play for Hill last year ahead of matching a bid for father-son sensation Nick Daicos, but is considered his likeliest destination if, as expected, he wants out of the Giants.

Geelong is also interested in Bruhn, an ex-Geelong Falcon who was in recruiting guru Stephen Wells’ sights in his draft year, before the Cats sent three first-round picks to the Giants for Jeremy Cameron.

Industry sources believe Taranto and Hopper, who are looked after by rival management companies, are keeping close tabs on what the other does.
The belief is a maximum of only one of them will stay at GWS but there is the risk of both leaving.

News Corp understands GWS has tabled a contract offer to Taranto in a bid to keep him at the club.

The Giants are open-minded on contract length and happy to work around Taranto’s preferences on tenure.

The 2019 club champion would be keen to make a call after they appoint a new senior coach, with GWS having met with Alastair Clarkson and Don Pyke, on top of Ashley Hansen being on its radar.

Taranto is also eager to establish himself in a permanent midfield role but has found himself playing largely forward this season.

At the Magpies, Tigers or Cats, he may be assured more midfield minutes than at the Giants, who boast a star-studded centre-square combination.

GWS would be keen to add another key forward target after failing to land Rory Lobb from Fremantle last year.

MORE LOBB INTRIGUE​

Rory Lobb remains an important piece of the puzzle in Fremantle’s bid to lure Melbourne premiership ruckman Luke Jackson back to Western Australia.

The Dockers are hellbent on securing Jackson but the complication is they don’t have a strong draft hand and it’s believed the Demons aren’t keen on Lobb being part of the package.

Not only has their ladder ascension meant they won’t pick early in the first round but they also sent their 2022 second and fourth-round picks to Gold Coast in last year’s Will Brodie trade.

Fremantle also doesn’t have a third-round selection in this year’s draft after using it in a pick swap with Collingwood to move up in the 2021 edition.

That means the Dockers will likely have to go hunting for better draft picks to satisfy Melbourne, while Lloyd Meek appears certain to be wearing red and blue if Jackson pulls the trigger on a trade request.

The Western Bulldogs are heavily linked to Lobb, who is contracted for next season on about $750,000, and desperately need an extra marking target to help Aaron Naughton in attack.

The Dogs are a game outside the top eight and have a challenging run home, so could end up with a top-10 selection.

REWARD LOOMS FOR PIES DEFENDER​

One of Collingwood’s most-improved players this season is closing in on a new deal in what would be a fitting reward for his patience and perseverance.

Defender Nathan Murphy has battled against injury and opportunities for much of his time in black and white.

But a change in coaching panels and a change in luck with injury – at least across the past seven weeks – have provided the 22-year-old with the chance to secure his future.

After playing only two games in his first three seasons at the club, the fearless backman played 15 games last year but ankle surgery during this year’s pre-season put a question mark on his future.

The retirement of Jordan Roughead and injuries to Jack Magden and Charlie Dean provided the opportunity for Murphy on his return from his ankle – and he has not looked back.

Murphy has worked well with Darcy Moore and Jeremy Howe this season, with a well-deserved new deal set to be finalised in the coming weeks.

West Coast still looking at Ruck issues. Have a very talented, highly rated mid on similar money currently being played out of position with no support who everyone knows is going to kill it in another side and other clubs have chased. Could there be a win/win in a Grundy/Gaff trade?

Bulldogs need to offload a mid and try and get him. Dunkley seems like the likely one if we were to move the pieces. Would be another Collingwood reject to add to our list but * it I’ll take it.

Treloar back to Pies and get Grundy.

$800k would have made him one of the highest paid players in the AFL. $1m was always nuts, and I can't see a side stopping in to bail the Pies out.

I don't understand how Collingwood can continually get it so wrong when it comes to list management.

Moving out two blokes in their 25-30 year old age bracket does nothing but hurt the clubs chances at success.

Unless they replace JDG and Brodie with genuine stars in their prime, they will drop off dramatically next season.

If they depart, it leaves them with the following players in this age bracket by start of 2023 season:

WHE, Adams, Crisp, Cameron, Moore, Maynard, Noble

1 A grader, a couple of B graders and some C graders. That is paper thin.

Treloar would be their best mid by the length of the straight at the moment.

They have to keep Grundy. Simply have to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back