Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Since when? He has played 6 games this year. Him and Gawn were the 2 clear standout rucks from 2021. Many players have had 6 game form slumps in their careers, especially with a new coach and game plan to learn.
Grundy wasnt the 2nd clear ruck last year, the three AA squad rucks were Darcy, NicNat and Gawn. Grundy really wasnt that good last year

Clubs would queue up for Grundy at $800k a year. To suggest he is only worth $600k to rival clubs is foolishness
Who would you rather Grundy of the last 18 months or Cameron since Grundy got injured? What would you be comfortable paying Cameron at the moment?

Clubs would queue up for Grundy at $800k a year. To suggest he is only worth $600k to rival clubs is foolishness

Yep.

Sure we overpaid with his contract (supposedly it’s 950k according to Sam Edmund), but he’s still a very valuable commodity.

The Adelaide clubs were willing to pony up two first rounders at the start of last year (also according to Edmund).

But he’s also still fairly easily our best ruck. So as much as the $ of the contract sucks, or at least $150k or so of it, I don’t think he’s tradeable.

Yep.

Sure we overpaid with his contract (supposedly it’s 950k according to Sam Edmund), but he’s still a very valuable commodity.

The Adelaide clubs were willing to pony up two first rounders at the start of last year (also according to Edmund).

But he’s also still fairly easily our best ruck. So as much as the $ of the contract sucks, or at least $150k or so of it, I don’t think he’s tradeable.

Or no clubs go for Grundy and instead go for Cameron at 4 x $700k and save a few million.

Or no clubs go for Grundy and instead go for Cameron at 4 x $700k and save a few million.

You mean the Pies, Cameron? The one who just re-signed?

If so, I’d do a trade with that club in a heartbeat.

Because if a club is willing to offer him that kind of contract they’d also have to offer up substantial picks in a trade.

Sure I’ve been massively critical of Grundy’s performances vs his contract on our board. But he is still a substantially better player than Cameron.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean the Pies, Cameron? The one who just re-signed?

If so, I’d do a trade with that club in a heartbeat.

Because if a club is willing to offer him that kind of contract they’d also have to offer up substantial picks in a trade.

I’ve been a massively critical of Grundy’s performances vs his contract on our board. But he is still a substantially better player than Cameron.

If the Pies retain Grundy and de Goey then bring in McStay you start to wonder if another firesale is on the cards.

Or are there big retirements coming ?

Biggest hurdle in off loading Grundy besides the contract is his age.

Ruckman’s generally take time to mature, but Grundy has essentially been the Pies number 1 ruck since he was 20. He’s played 170+ games and has lost the spring he once had. To compare, Gawn is turning 31 this year and has played 172 games. Grundy has just turned 28 and has already played 171

It’s not his fault. Unfortunately his body is banged up at this point and he hasn’t looked like the same player since 2019 where he polled 23 Brownlow votes

Apparently the hub in 2020 didn’t agree with him but even last year he didn’t have near the same impact (9 votes). I love him as a player but on a million dollars a year, the pies are stuck with him unless they pay another club a big Chunk of his wage. Even in a trade the pies aren’t going to get a decent pick, it was just a bad deal

If the Pies retain Grundy and de Goey then bring in McStay you start to wonder if another firesale is on the cards.

Or are there big retirements coming ?

As has been fairly widely reported the Pies have a modest war chest this year.

Finally got the remainder of the Beams contract we had to cop under the cap off the books and have front loaded a large portion of our commitment to Treloar.

Also if DeGoey stays, it will be on a much reduced contract than the club were expecting. If he leaves, there will be even greater scope.

Another thing to consider is how Grundy's contract is structured - perhaps a chunk of his deal was a front-loaded, in which case the remaining years might be worth an average of <$1M. Conversely, if his contract is back-ended, then that creates an even bigger headache for the trade.

The Pies themselves have a better ruckman. They wouldn’t be looking to cut their losses otherwise.
No they don't. They have a ruckman who is almost as good, but costs significantly less.

And the difference in pay means they can bring in a player who improves the team more than playing Grundy instead of Cameron.

I'll take both. They'll coexist
That's not what I asked, nor the point of the question. You think clubs would queue up to pay Grundy 800k a year for the length of his current contract. the Grundy of the last 18 months is not close to an 800k player. I've spent the 18 months watching him kill my drafted dream team and watched him be a shadow of the player he was before the contract.

I picked up Cameron and watched him closely once Grundy got injured. His ability to compete in the ruck, the ground and apply defensive effort is significantly better than current Grundy. For mine, he currently contributes more than Grundy has been and I'd rather him in my team than Grundy, even on the same contract.

If you want both, I understand but I'd be getting someone to put a rocket up Grundy's arse because he was pretty meh before getting injured

I picked up Cameron and watched him closely once Grundy got injured. His ability to compete in the ruck, the ground and apply defensive effort is significantly better than current Grundy.

I don’t think you think you’ve been watching him closely if you think those are the aspects he is better than Grundy.

He’s a better contested mark at both ends, and more of an offensive threat in the 50… and that’s about it.

The areas you mentioned are parts of the game Grundy has Cameron easily covered.

That's not what I asked, nor the point of the question. You think clubs would queue up to pay Grundy 800k a year for the length of his current contract. the Grundy of the last 18 months is not close to an 800k player. I've spent the 18 months watching him kill my drafted dream team and watched him be a shadow of the player he was before the contract.

I picked up Cameron and watched him closely once Grundy got injured. His ability to compete in the ruck, the ground and apply defensive effort is significantly better than current Grundy. For mine, he currently contributes more than Grundy has been and I'd rather him in my team than Grundy, even on the same contract.

If you want both, I understand but I'd be getting someone to put a rocket up Grundy's arse because he was pretty meh before getting injured
I don't understand the point of the question. We have both, and I'm happy to have both. It's not a matter of either or.

Grundy is a considerably better and more well-rounded ruck than Cameron.

I don’t think you think you’ve been watching him closely if you think those are the aspects he is better than Grundy.

He’s a better contested mark at both ends, and more of an offensive threat in the 50… and that’s about it.

The areas you mentioned are parts of the game Grundy has Cameron easily covered.
Not from what I saw, Grundy pre-contract, absolutely, but I was watching him and tearing my hair out this year. I’ve loved watching Cameron compete

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back