Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

He plays CHB very well. Its what Geelong does with Stanley too.

When Hawks play Melbourne Max gets half a dozen intercept marks.

Stanley isn't on Gawn money though.

It just seems like a lot of money to be paying two ruckman who aren't especially crash hot outside rucking. melbournes problems weren't really ruck related or even defense related either, so putting gawn at CHB just seems like it would slow the transition to forward 50 even more, since Gawn isn't exactly running it out of there.

They are essentially replacing Jackon with Grundy which is fine, Grundy for the time being is better, but it doesn't overall improve the team significantly. It doesn't solve any of Melbs short term problems. but maybe us doubters are wrong and we'll get egg on our faces, but it does feel like a strange sort of get. I feel like Lobb would almost have been better for them really.

Recent history 6 games this year from 2 separate injuries, and now Collingwood want to move him on?
You’d be a terrible negotiator if this was your best.

Ps: you might as well go after Ben King. He’d be cheap considering he’s ‘injury prone’ based on his ‘recent history’. At least Grundy played SOME games in ‘recent history’.

Last edited:

It just seems like a lot of money to be paying two ruckman who aren't especially crash hot outside rucking. melbournes problems weren't really ruck related or even defense related either, so putting gawn at CHB just seems like it would slow the transition to forward 50 even more, since Gawn isn't exactly running it out of there.

They are essentially replacing Jackon with Grundy which is fine, Grundy for the time being is better, but it doesn't overall improve the team significantly. It doesn't solve any of Melbs short term problems. but maybe us doubters are wrong and we'll get egg on our faces, but it does feel like a strange sort of get. I feel like Lobb would almost have been better for them really.

Short term they want another flag while their stars are in their prime.

I dont imagine they are looking at the 5th year of Grundy's contract.

Next year and the year after Grundy > Jackson. After that who knows.

You’d be a terrible negotiator if this was your best.

Ps: you might as well go after Ben King. He’d be cheap considering he’s ‘injury prone’ based on his ‘recent history’. At least Grundy played SOME games in ‘recent history’.
Lol ok.

Suns aren’t moving on from Ben King, his club wants him, they are backing themselves to get Ben back to his best.

Grundy situation is similar to Ben Brown at North.

Stanley doesn't exactly play CHB, he's more that traditional "one kick behind the ball" type, who also works as a get out of jail marking option up the wing. Last week was an anomaly.

It's different to being directly responsible for the opposition CHF, and I don't see Gawn doing that.

It works well for Geelong because there's an obvious choice to take forward-fifty ruck contests in Hawkins.

So in light of the Jack Bowes story what's going to the Dee's with Grundy to take this much salary? 2 firsts? 😂😂😂😂

Agree, Max is better dropping back defensively than he is forward.
It's different to being directly responsible for the opposition CHF, and I don't see Gawn doing that.
Early on in last years prelim Max dropped back and played directly on Tom Hawkins and beat him with a defensive spoil. Short stint but Max looks better as a defender than a forward.

Agree, Max is better dropping back defensively than he is forward.

Early on in last years prelim Max dropped back and played directly on Tom Hawkins and beat him with a defensive spoil. Short stint but Max looks better as a defender than a forward.

Problem is Geelong have Hawkins and Cameron forward so Stanley drops back.

Melbourne wont be able to do that with Grundy going forward, and Brown cant really dominate a forward line on his own.

Which is weird because he managed to at the Roos.

Melbourne wont be able to do that with Grundy going forward, and Brown cant really dominate a forward line on his own.

Yeah Melbourne’s fwd line is a worry but they have a different game plan to Geelong where they their focus is to setup defensively.
Brown looks cooked, he’ll never get back to what he was at the Roos due to his knee injury, I don’t think he will be in the team next year, I could see Harrison Petty up forward with McDonald while Max drops back defensively, Grundy going forward wouldn’t be any worse than Jackson this year.

Slow attrition of the vegetable diet

Still don't know how Grundy fits at the Dees or why a contending side like Melbourne would help a rival contender escape their salary cap squeeze - it's nuts

So in light of the Jack Bowes story what's going to the Dee's with Grundy to take this much salary? 2 firsts? 😂😂😂😂

I said it a few pages ago, do not be surprised if Collingwoods pick 16 is involved in this. They desperately need Grundy off the books and should be compensating any team to take the salary off there books.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he has been average for three seasons they shouldn't have put him on such a major contract, since thats when he signed it right? Three seasons ago?
He signed it at the start of 2020 with a season remaining on his existing one. So basically then had 8 years and has been well down from his best the first 3.

I said it a few pages ago, do not be surprised if Collingwoods pick 16 is involved in this. They desperately need Grundy off the books and should be compensating any team to take the salary off there books.
Bookmarked. Let’s see how accurate you really are.

Slow attrition of the vegetable diet

Still don't know how Grundy fits at the Dees or why a contending side like Melbourne would help a rival contender escape their salary cap squeeze - it's nuts

If they see Grundy as better than Jackson and they dont lose much to Collingwood then its a win.

They've kicked him out the door, we shouldn't be paying much at all picks wise for a 29yo that was injured nearly all season. Hopefully half his crazy salary paid for too.

Melbourne are gifting Collingwood the cap space to sign McStay. McStay is worth a late first rounder. The Pies should really pay that to Melbourne. But I'll settle for a 2nd given they have to pay some of his contract to get him on the move too.

If Melbourne pay a useful pick to Collingwood then something is badly wrong at Melbourne.

They've kicked him out the door, we shouldn't be paying much at all picks wise for a 29yo that was injured nearly all season. Hopefully half his crazy salary paid for too.

The more we pay of his salary the less he will cost us in terms of picks

If I were Melbourne I'd be waiting them out. Build the pressure. Melbourne are fine next year without Grundy, he is 'nice to have'.

Agree, we also have no other trades/deals dependent on this either so we can wait until the last 5seconds if we need to.

If I were Melbourne I'd be waiting them out. Build the pressure. Melbourne are fine next year without Grundy, he is 'nice to have'.
It’s frowned upon for a side to threaten another club with PSD, this ain’t any different. To try and jeopardise another club’s trade period like that is no different after pretty much expressing interest in a player.

nah mate, you're spot on. Melbourne's issues are that we have 0 key forwards. Grundy doesn't help our issues so if this trade goes ahead and we don't bring in any key forwards for next season then Goodwin has a lot of explaining to do. A lot.

It’s frowned upon for a side to threaten another club with PSD, this ain’t any different. To try and jeopardise another club’s trade period like that is no different after pretty much expressing interest in a player.
Agreed. But the freo fans and west coast fans still threatened the dees with the PSD with Jackson. That's a thing of the early 2000's. Times have changed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back