Traded Brodie Grundy [Traded to Melbourne for #27]

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see the fit in that if grundy agrees to leave he probably wants to stay in vic and go to a club in the flag window. And we do really need a ruck as stanley and ceglar are near the end and conway will be good but needs time. So i see the fit. But what i dont see is why collingwood would willingly trade him to a top 4 club unless their cap is so maxed that they must dump him. Do they want him playing against them in a PF?i doubt it. So if i am collingwood im only trading him to a club that i dont think is in the window (which he wont want hence he probably stays there at least for now).
Whilst I agree with you on this point, I would have thought only a club in contention for a flag would take that contract on. Maybe the pies know this, and if they need to get him off the books it’s another contender or bust.

I can see the fit in that if grundy agrees to leave he probably wants to stay in vic and go to a club in the flag window. And we do really need a ruck as stanley and ceglar are near the end and conway will be good but needs time. So i see the fit. But what i dont see is why collingwood would willingly trade him to a top 4 club unless their cap is so maxed that they must dump him. Do they want him playing against them in a PF?i doubt it. So if i am collingwood im only trading him to a club that i dont think is in the window (which he wont want hence he probably stays there at least for now).
I think the Pies would be willing to trade him if we can get another player. My feeling is that we are happy to get:

Grundy + 1st rounder ------->>> Taranto + 3rd rounder. + 200K salary cap.

If we can we trade him to a non contender that would be better. But Grundy has the final say on this.

I'm sure Melbourne would want to add Grundy if they lose Jackson, and I'm sure Collingwood would like to move on that contract they signed as well.

However, the optics of Collingwood paying a couple of hundred thousand dollars a year for him to play against them (and they will have to pay a chunk of his wage) is just terrible. They did it with Treolor but to have to do that with Grundy as well is mind boggling.

I'm sure Melbourne would want to add Grundy if they lose Jackson, and I'm sure Collingwood would like to move on that contract they signed as well.

However, the optics of Collingwood paying a couple of hundred thousand dollars a year for him to play against them (and they will have to pay a chunk of his wage) is just terrible. They did it with Treolor but to have to do that with Grundy as well is mind boggling.
I think Collingwood would prefer to send him to a club that pays all of his wage even if all they get is a 3rd rounder back and a upcoming ruckman or fridge player. North Melbourne or Hawthorn might be a better choice because they can afford his salary. Port or Adelaide could also probably afford the cost. If the pies are paying 300K of his salary they would want a good first round pick.

Not a Dawes fan?
He seemed a really solid bloke actually but he couldn’t mark for shit and our rubbish mids couldn’t get it to him anyway so it wasn’t a great fit tbh.

Lumumba was pretty average and threatened to sue us but our NDA was watertight I guess? Less said about that one the better.

Ben Kennedy for Jeremy Howe was the really embarrassing one.

He seemed a really solid bloke actually but he couldn’t mark for s**t and our rubbish mids couldn’t get it to him anyway so it wasn’t a great fit tbh.

Lumumba was pretty average and threatened to sue us but our NDA was watertight I guess? Less said about that one the better.

Ben Kennedy for Jeremy Howe was the really embarrassing one.
Sadly for you guys most of our trades seam one sided. Even Woewodin wasn't bad for us almost helped us win a flag.

Lots of money, Collingwood almost certainly have to pay part of his contract, no club has that room in their cap, surely? I know it's been reported North have a warchest, but who else?

Lots of money, Collingwood almost certainly have to pay part of his contract, no club has that room in their cap, surely? I know it's been reported North have a warchest, but who else?
Hawks, North and Bombers would have a fair bit of space.

We’ve just retired McEvoy and would probably like someone a bit more senior to support Reeves and Ramsden in the next few years. So it might make sense to get him across.

Hawks, North and Bombers would have a fair bit of space.

We’ve just retired McEvoy and would probably like someone a bit more senior to support Reeves and Ramsden in the next few years. So it might make sense to get him across.
True, but how much cap was McEvoy taking? No idea about Essendon, couldn't tell you anything about their list. North Melbourne, well, they're a basket case, maybe he might be tempted to head home?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst I agree with you on this point, I would have thought only a club in contention for a flag would take that contract on. Maybe the pies know this, and if they need to get him off the books it’s another contender or bust.

Possibly but its still better business for them if he goes to a non top 8 club.

Grundy has fallen so far from his peak and also commands a massive salary. Pies got to keep paying Treloar to play for the Dogs for another three? seasons.

If I'm opposition clubs, I'd be letting a contender have to cope with both of those things to make them weaker over the next few years.

Tom Browne says Pies chipping in $300k per year for the rest of the contract. If he's already meeting clubs he has to be gone. If the fitness cloud wasn't there I'd be hoping we are keen. Would give up Flynn or Preuss to make it happen.

My guess is Collingwood is looking to trade him to help land other players they prefer, pies arent in the same salary predicament as 2020 so if the trade doesnt help pies land other targets then there is no point in trading him

They should just trade him for a cap dump. If they get picks they will be paying some of his contract.
This is pretty much it.
Unbelievably poor list management at the pies after that 2018 flag tilt.
The whole Beams return had me scratching my head even at the initial rumour.
Not to mention Treloar, Stephenson, etc

Tom Browne says Pies chipping in $300k per year for the rest of the contract. If he's already meeting clubs he has to be gone. If the fitness cloud wasn't there I'd be hoping we are keen. Would give up Flynn or Preuss to make it happen.

If they are chipping in 300k, that makes it a lot more viable for clubs.

300K both makes sense and is outrageous at the same time.

700kish a year is probably his actual output value that a club would be comfortable having him for so Collingwood should get a decent pick for that value.

Would probably help negotiations for Collingwood to just start off saying "300k a year chipped in by us is the basis of all negotiations and we'll therefore trade him for capital of his actual value. Dont bother if your not ok with that."

At the same time, slashing your salary cap by 300k a year for 5 years feels absolutely nuts

Last edited:
300K both makes sense and is outrageous at the same time.

700kish a year is probably his actual output value that a club would be comfortable having him for so Collingwood should get a decent pick for that value.

Would probably help negotiations for Collingwood to just start off saying "300k a year chipped in by us is the basis of all negotiations and we'll therefore trade him for capital of his actual value. Dont bother if your not ok with that."

At the same time, slashing your salary cap by 300k a year for 5 years feels absolutely nuts

Not to mention how much of Treloar they're also paying. lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back