lazy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2004
Next door to L.Hewitt
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I have always been a huge Carey fan - Loved watching him play. Thought that we may never see someone that could dominate a game like him again BUT Jonathon Brown took me back a few years.

What a pleasure his game was to watch. I cant wait to watch him play against the Doggies.

Yes Revolt and Tredders are good but I think Brown had more of a potential to really dominate a game like Carey once did.

Carey was better at 23 than what Brown is now.
That being said, Brown looks the most likely of the current players to make a Carey style impact on the game.

Rawhead said:
He's only 23

My god, when I think what I had achieved by the age of 23.

******** I'm a loser.

Hahaha ...and you sitting in front of your computer right now doesn't really help either (hehe!) :D

Longy413 said:
Carey was better at 23 than what Brown is now.
That being said, Brown looks the most likely of the current players to make a Carey style impact on the game.

True but Brown already has 3 premierships. I think he will blossom without Lynch because he will be forced to play closer to goal in the "Carey position" about 30 yards out.

Scandalous said:
Hahaha ...and you sitting in front of your computer right now doesn't really help either (hehe!) :D

I'm just monitoring my worldwide online pr0n empire.

Monitoring.......yes that's what I'm doing.

:)

lazy said:
True but Brown already has 3 premierships. I think he will blossom without Lynch because he will be forced to play closer to goal in the "Carey position" about 30 yards out.

3 Premierships don't make him a better player. Otherwise no one would consider Bob Skilton an all time great. What they do make is part of a very very good side.

Brown needs to be consistent, and actually dominate an entire season or two, and get in an AA squad first. Only then should he be compared with Carey. And keep on doing it.

I'll stop calling him overrated if he actaully lives up the the hype. Best CHF in the competition? Then dominate the season, be consistent and win an AA jumper.

Thrawn said:
Brown needs to be consistent, and actually dominate an entire season or two, and get in an AA squad first. Only then should he be compared with Carey. And keep on doing it.

I'll stop calling him overrated if he actaully lives up the the hype. Best CHF in the competition? Then dominate the season, be consistent and win an AA jumper.
My thoughts exactly. Well said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The hype thats been going on this week has just been nothing short of ridiculous. 1 game, thats all it's been, 1 game. Don't forget it was against a side widely tipped to finish bottom 4 with an awsome midfeield shoving it down his throat. I'm waiting for a limited edition dvd to come out aka Steve Waughs ton against the poms a couple of years ago. Most over hyped performance ever.The comparisions with Carey are nothing short of an insult to Carey. Lets see him do it against top sides on a consistent basis or when sides start putting 3 extra blokes inside 50 to restrict his space. 1 game doesn't make a season.

mark1301 said:
The hype thats been going on this week has just been nothing short of ridiculous. 1 game, thats all it's been, 1 game. Don't forget it was against a side widely tipped to finish bottom 4 with an awsome midfeield shoving it down his throat. I'm waiting for a limited edition dvd to come out aka Steve Waughs ton against the poms a couple of years ago. Most over hyped performance ever.The comparisions with Carey are nothing short of an insult to Carey. Lets see him do it against top sides on a consistent basis or when sides start putting 3 extra blokes inside 50 to restrict his space. 1 game doesn't make a season.

I agree that one game this season doesnt mean too much.

However

Carey himself has come out and lauded the young bloke, he said he see's the comparison as extremely flattering to himself. That speaks volumes dont you think?

Thrawn said:

I agree with this. There would be nothing that would please me more than seeing Brown play as well as Carey week in week out. I think the comparisons with Carey are not about career accomplishments, but glimpses of style similarity that are hard to overlook.

Rawhead said:
I agree that one game this season doesnt mean too much.

However

Carey himself has come out and lauded the young bloke, he said he see's the comparison as extremely flattering to himself. That speaks volumes dont you think?
Carey, as great a player as he was & as good as he can be as a special comments person on the box, does seem to over do applauding players that are quite clearly inferior to him. I think he does it at times so as not to seem arrogant. The stats just don't stack up. I'm not 1 that thinks stats are the only thing to go by but they are a pretty good guide when it comes to key forwards. Also look at the midfield Carey had in front of him as compared to Brown. Norths were extremely hard working & tough but no where near the skill level of what Brisbanes is.

mark1301 said:
Carey, as great a player as he was & as good as he can be as a special comments person on the box, does seem to over do applauding players that are quite clearly inferior to him. I think he does it at times so as not to seem arrogant. The stats just don't stack up. I'm not 1 that thinks stats are the only thing to go by but they are a pretty good guide when it comes to key forwards. Also look at the midfield Carey had in front of him as compared to Brown. Norths were extremely hard working & tough but no where near the skill level of what Brisbanes is.

Former AFL great Wayne Carey has endorsed Brisbane Lion Jonathan Brown as the game's "excitement machine", saying the competition needs the power forward to cut through the tedium of modern football.

As comparisons between the Kangaroos' former captain and Brown continue to grow, Carey said he was flattered by the association.

"If they are comparing me to Jonathan, I am quite happy with that," Carey said yesterday. "I love watching him play. He is an excitement machine. I love the way he goes about his footy."

Carey also revealed he had spoken to Brown - who often has admitted he idolised Carey as a child - several times in recent weeks, although the retired champion said Brown didn't need his advice. "He knows, he has openly said he has to take a step back in certain situations and just play footy," Carey said of the phone calls. "That is what he has to do and I am sure that is what he will do. He doesn't have to get any advice off people from what we saw on the weekend."

Carey said the AFL needed players like Brown who attacked the ball and brought of excitement to the game. "He is what footy misses, to some degree, in how we go about playing these days with chipping it around and sharing it," Carey said. "I just really like the way he goes about it.

"The AFL needs Jonathan Brown and Barry Hall and those types who really attack the footy and excite the crowd."

While much had been made of Brown's length absences from the game because of suspension, Carey said the three-time premiership player should not change his style of play. Instead, Carey said Brown had to be conscious of not putting himself in "silly positions" that led to reports.

"He is a big powerful forward (who) does everything and . . . the game misses Jonathan Brown when he is not playing, so you just hope that he stays out there for the rest of the year and excites us like he did over the weekend."

Carey, a seven-time All-Australian centre half-forward, believes the one honour Brown needs to cement his reputation is to win a spot in the end-of-year team.

"He has won three premierships in a great team and he has played well in those final series," Carey said. "The thing that Jonathan has to do is play a whole year so we get to see how good this bloke is.

"If he plays a whole year, it is someone to challenge a Warren Tredrea at centre half-forward in the All-Australian team."

Carey, who dominated the centre half-forward position between 1993 and 2001 with the Kangaroos, admits he does see similarities between himself and Brown's style of play.

"He has said openly that he used to run around the backyard and copy some of my silly little things that I used to do when I got the ball," he said. "I do seem similarities and for me, it is great because I really, really like the way the guy plays footy."

Rawhead said:
Former AFL great Wayne Carey has endorsed Brisbane Lion Jonathan Brown as the game's "excitement machine", saying the competition needs the power forward to cut through the tedium of modern football.

As comparisons between the Kangaroos' former captain and Brown continue to grow, Carey said he was flattered by the association.

"If they are comparing me to Jonathan, I am quite happy with that," Carey said yesterday. "I love watching him play. He is an excitement machine. I love the way he goes about his footy."

Carey also revealed he had spoken to Brown - who often has admitted he idolised Carey as a child - several times in recent weeks, although the retired champion said Brown didn't need his advice. "He knows, he has openly said he has to take a step back in certain situations and just play footy," Carey said of the phone calls. "That is what he has to do and I am sure that is what he will do. He doesn't have to get any advice off people from what we saw on the weekend."

Carey said the AFL needed players like Brown who attacked the ball and brought of excitement to the game. "He is what footy misses, to some degree, in how we go about playing these days with chipping it around and sharing it," Carey said. "I just really like the way he goes about it.

"The AFL needs Jonathan Brown and Barry Hall and those types who really attack the footy and excite the crowd."

While much had been made of Brown's length absences from the game because of suspension, Carey said the three-time premiership player should not change his style of play. Instead, Carey said Brown had to be conscious of not putting himself in "silly positions" that led to reports.

"He is a big powerful forward (who) does everything and . . . the game misses Jonathan Brown when he is not playing, so you just hope that he stays out there for the rest of the year and excites us like he did over the weekend."

Carey, a seven-time All-Australian centre half-forward, believes the one honour Brown needs to cement his reputation is to win a spot in the end-of-year team.

"He has won three premierships in a great team and he has played well in those final series," Carey said. "The thing that Jonathan has to do is play a whole year so we get to see how good this bloke is.

"If he plays a whole year, it is someone to challenge a Warren Tredrea at centre half-forward in the All-Australian team."

Carey, who dominated the centre half-forward position between 1993 and 2001 with the Kangaroos, admits he does see similarities between himself and Brown's style of play.

"He has said openly that he used to run around the backyard and copy some of my silly little things that I used to do when I got the ball," he said. "I do seem similarities and for me, it is great because I really, really like the way the guy plays footy."
Exactly what I'm talking about.

Rawhead said:
No wonder Collingwood wanted him so much.

Bring in a bit of class to the team
He and Joffa could have discussed philosophy and geo global political infrastructure after training over a chardonay or two

Thrawn said:

Can't really argue with those points but I think most observers would have to concede he has shown on many occasions that he could be anything. We may now find that the consistency comes with maturity and as someone else very rightly pointed out he will play closer to goal now with no Lynch and is likely to kick a lot more bags than he has done in the past.

Rather than stating the obvious, in terms of his need to string together a full season of excellence and make the AA team etc why not give us your opinion on whether he will start doing those things in the next few years?

You can't do what Brown did on Saturday night unless you are a very rare talent and though that may have been his best ever game I doubt it really surprised anyone who has seen much of Brown in the past. My obvious allegiances notwithstanding, I'm fairly certain you'll be declaring him in the best 3 players in the comp within 2 years - maybe the best....

Carey - Brown comparisons are fair enough but they need to be kept in perspective, very similar playing styles, both - aggressive, mobile, good mark, good kick and Brown has that similar " presence " on the ground that Carey had.
Will he be as good? time will tell but it's a tough ask.

I was at the game and Brown was bloody unreal but it was only one game and at this age Carey was the AA captain ( I think ) so Brown would have to make AA this year and about the next 6 year afterwards to be compared.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brown = Carey reincarnated

Remove this Banner Ad

Back