Hodgepodge

Hall of Famer
Suspended
30k Posts 10k Posts
Apr 28, 2008
Erin Riley's air mattress
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's just about stating the obvious this year.

Riewoldt is more of a flanker/CHF while Brown is a powerhouse CHF's CHF.

Brown is just looking like one of the all-time greats at the minute.

I really appreciate a player who goes 100% for the ball and doesn't dive for free kicks. Brown just plays the game honestly and fantastically well.

He's a much better player than Riewoldt.

Brown has a sub par finals record compared to Roo.

Not sure if it's changed but I read recently Brown had never kicked more than 3 goals in a final at the MCG.

• Banned
Brown has a sub par finals record compared to Roo.

Not sure if it's changed but I read recently Brown had never kicked more than 3 goals in a final at the MCG.

That just means Riewoldt has had better games, but overall you'd have to say that Brown has been the better finals performer.

Brown >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Riewoldt

Brown >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Riewoldt

If Brown had half the protection Riewoldt gets from the umpires he would be the greatest player ever.

Both spot on

Starting to look this way. The Riewoldt hype has died down. Dont like how he and St Kilda always bring up his injuries to make him look more heroic.
Brown is the best clutch set shot goal kicker in the league and a better mark. Reiwoldt has a better engine.

Close but J B for me.

There's a lot of love for Brown at the moment after a great performance yesterday. Equally a lot of people (particularly on here) seem to hate St Kilda and their captain right now.

Roo was arguably the best player in the competition last year, and it's hard to argue that he didn't have a better year than Brown.

I didn't see enough of them in the first few years of their careers, but over the last 3 years I think Riewoldt has performed better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This changes on a weekly basis.

If Roo came out and kicked 10 on Saturday Night he'd be back in front according to BF.

No he wouldn't. For starters, Riewoldt's never going to kick 10 as he's never been a prolific goalkicker. Secondly, people respect Brown because he doesn't stage and after Riewoldt's game against Sydney, he's gonna have to do a lot of work to redeem himself from that smile.

No he wouldn't. For starters, Riewoldt's never going to kick 10 as he's never been a prolific goalkicker. Secondly, people respect Brown because he doesn't stage and after Riewoldt's game against Sydney, he's gonna have to do a lot of work to redeem himself from that smile.
he's kicked 9 twice, why wouldn't he be able to kick ten one day? And why would Riewoldt need to redeem himself after the sydney game, when he was best on ground?

obviously browns gonna win a poll put up right before his best ever game. if we put up the same poll after roos best game he'd probs win that one.

personally i reckon it might just be an idea to wait till the seasons gone on a bit more (and reiwoldts played more than one game). brown looked like he was the best player in the league after he kicked 6 on darren glass round 1 2008. 21 rounds later and he couldn't even crack the all australian bench and was clearly behind buddy, pav and riewoldt (aa chf)

Week by week basis these arguments. Only 2 weeks ago people regarded Nick as superior without much argument. We all like Brown more with the way he plays and whinges less than any player in the league.

However they are already both champions in their own right. Riewoldt has a massive tank and faster, good mark with those long arms. Brown is a much better kick, stronger and holds his ground better in a marking contest, however you can hardly get near Riewoldt to stop him in the 1st place.

I would prefer Brown in my team and would always choose him as captain, best captain in the league imo. Not sure if i am saying he is better player, he might be but it is really tough to split them. I just enjoy watching Brown more, he is a true footballer.

Thats definitely the case, but the thread is about picking the better player. If you had the number 1 draft pick and could pick one of these two, who would it be?

The only way i could split them was through age, Riewoldt is a year younger, so he gets the nod.

Both absolute champions though, Riewoldt just gets a hard time around here because he let his emotions get the better of him one game and has staged for a few free kicks :rolleyes:

BTW, people need to keep a bit of a lid on the Brown thing.

He had a pretty good decoy sitting at full forward.

He only played on Thornton for crissakes.:rolleyes:

Put Fev at FF for StKilda and Reiwoldt would look much better as well.

Looks like Hodgepodge has given up on his campaign suggesting Franklin is better than Riewoldt and has now jumped on the Brown bandwagon after his performance last night.

I'm not denying Brown is a great player but so is Riewoldt. Both are very different types of CHFs though. Brown is more the stay at home, power CHF and Riewoldt is more the mobile, athletic CHF. Brown may be more damaging in front of goal but Riewoldt is more consistent and versatile. Brown may have a day out like yesterday but can also be kept out of the game at times, Riewoldt is generally always in the game and is much harder to nullify.

Both are champion forwards, depends on which type of player you prefer really. I'd love Brown in my side, who wouldn't, but I wouldn't swap him for Riewoldt either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brown is better than Riewoldt

Back