Browne is our rucking future

Remove this Banner Ad

Standard ignorant, impatient comment. Have a look at Trent West, six odd years on the list at Geelong before finally coming good, what is Browne sitting at, approx 3 years. Give him 2 years, then if no good cut him loose but has sooo much upside to come.

Agree totally. West has been part of a very successful team also. Browne, like many of our key players, would have shined in a Magpie, Geelong or Saints outfit of the recent past.
21 years old! Give him the time he needs.

A few pointers for Browne

• Improve tap work
• Improve marking
• Improve tackling
• Improve endurance and stamina
• Improve agility and speed

Right now all he has is work ethic, but that can only get you so far.

so what your basically suggesting we could go out and pick up a couple of tall dudes from a pub and they would be at the same standard if they had a work ethic...you forgot the last one too that clinches the deal of what were we thinking...that is improve kicking. So as you see its easier to say, how about becoming a footballer so we can watch a footballer instead of watching someone who hasnt any of the basic skills..;)

its a toughy, between Gus and browneyt if i was to say does either have any upside I would say big red. there are days he looks like being anything, others like a picnic meet plodder...He'd have to improve 3005 to carry the ruck mantle at the elite level..Not impossible...and here;s hoping he can do it, I understand he had some lingering injuries in tail end of year that would have held him back..so good luck to him

naa dude...tipping it will be 3006, before we signs of rucking at an elite level. Get your bets on for the 3006 brownlow...the first guy to win it aged 3030;)

300% that was meant to be cogg, Im hoping for his sake it was a lingering hip injury that held him back this year, he did have post season surjery

he is on the list so we wait and see. All i do is see what is seen as you do. He is a trier and has hunger which is good. Now we wait and see if what the brains trust sees is what we are going to see....we wait and see..see?;)

My only problem is that he doesn't move well at all. Those raw stats are good and if he wasnt on an AFL list and had 22 disp and 30HO's in VFL then he would be drafted without a doubt this season.

Wasn't going to be delist/trade.

All i can say is why are richmond supporters so quick to back second rate players, lets go for the best and expect the best, break the tradition of excepting less.

One further thought is around how the change to the interchange rule will effect someone like Browne. In the past, you could bring him in and ease him in by giving him limited game time, and have him on the bench for a fair amount of the game. Now, it's incredibly difficult to justify giving him game time unless the club feel he really is ready to ruck 70-80% game time.

Will probably mean the new generation of #1 rucks will develop a bit longer at VFL level, and have to wait a bit longer to play regularly at AFL level.

have a look at some of the better ruckman going around at the same age

he averages more possessions than

Jolly 10.6 vs 4.7
Sandilands 10.6 vs 7.2
Jamar 10.6 vs 4.7
Cox 10.6 vs 10.2

at the same age he averages more hitouts than

Jolly 20.9 vs 5.6
Sandilands 20.9 vs 18.6
Jamar 20.9 vs 7.3
Cox 20.9 vs 16.2

Fair to say this rookie list project is ahead of schedule i think

:thumbsu: Kyuss! This and Watching the Dreamtime game warm the heart. The guy was out on his feet at the end - he had given it everything! He was only 20 at the time!

Smashes it in the VFL every week.
I'm sure the brains trust were expecting to have more time before Browne saw serious AFL game time, but Gus just didn't stick to their plan. Maric has been brought in to fill the immediate void but most importantly give Browne the time to develop. If Gus had continued his improvement this year (similar to that of the last 2-3 years) we wouldn't even have seen Browne this year and he would be building his confidence every week at Coburg. To me he has massive upside - but it will take time.

The worst case for me would be in 5 years watching a 26yo Browne going great guns for Collingwood or Carlton(with another 5-7 years to go in his career).

Look at how the guys he's compared to above are viewed now. Gee - what sort of pressure would they have been getting at that time! Give the Kid time and we will be rewarded!

Go Tiges!!

I'm prepared to give him some time - based on the coaching staff assessment. Bothh Wallace and Hardwick have obviously seen promise in him. he seems to dominate at Coburg, which is all we can ask him to do. At AFL level, I personally haven't seen much - and the major concern I have is how slow and unathletic he seems. Hopefully, that can improve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm prepared to give him some time - based on the coaching staff assessment. Bothh Wallace and Hardwick have obviously seen promise in him. he seems to dominate at Coburg, which is all we can ask him to do. At AFL level, I personally haven't seen much - and the major concern I have is how slow and unathletic he seems. Hopefully, that can improve.
Agree Wall. No questioning his work ethic, or his desire to compete, but I just think his lack of athleticism and pace might be his undoing. To me the one year contract isn't a massive endorsement of his talents either. It says to me we'll be looking for another young ruck in the ND, and another in the rookie draft, because outside of Maric, we're struggling.

MY major concern with him is that he doesn't kick it. That made him very predictable. Over time you started to see oppositions set up a defensive structure for him to handball after a mark etc. That caused problems as when he had the ball he stopped the run. Maybe he can kick and move it on, and given time he will improve.
Gus has shown he has the talent to be an AFL ruck, but has stagneted badly. Buying in Ivan the Terrible seems to say they reckon Gus is a lost cause. Interesting times over the next few years.

• Improve tap work
• Improve marking
• Improve tackling

When you think about it he's about the same level as pattison, tries hard but just won't make it.

One further thought is around how the change to the interchange rule will effect someone like Browne. In the past, you could bring him in and ease him in by giving him limited game time, and have him on the bench for a fair amount of the game. Now, it's incredibly difficult to justify giving him game time unless the club feel he really is ready to ruck 70-80% game time.

Will probably mean the new generation of #1 rucks will develop a bit longer at VFL level, and have to wait a bit longer to play regularly at AFL level.

Excelent post, Damo .... 100% true.

On another point, Maric is what 24 or 25. I'd hope he's our rucking future. I'm sure we traded for him to ruck for 5-8 years .. that's long term!

• Improve tap work
• Improve marking
• Improve tackling

Work ethic is the most important thing to have.... If you don't have that, how are you suppose to improve your game?

When you think about it he's about the same level as pattison, tries hard but just won't make it.

infact his nearlly the opposite, he gets hit outs at senior level dominates vfl level around the ground and with hitouts , Pattison was undersized to ruck at senior level and struggled at vfl level when he was at Richmond

It's just ridiculous to think that someone that has just turned 21, at 203 cm and 105 kegs is going to be hitting his strides. He still needs a couple years of further physical conditioning before we are all slapping each other on the backs in joy about the big fella's performances.

Will make it, be patient!!

About time there was some more visible support for the guy. He will be a good ruckman at the very least once he has some more experience.

Points regarding comparisons to Jamar, Sandilands etc. are all valid and irrefutible.

I'm happy to say that I've always been a big fan of the kid and will follow his career closely, whether he becomes a superstar or not. Love the way he plays and would not even think of delisting him for another 3 years, barring any major mishaps.

Good luck to the kid. I only wish Angus Graham would show the same ticker.

:D when i read this one i couldn't help but think it was that he was our 'rucking' future, in the same way you might say "give him a rucking chance, he's a lot better than angus rucking graham". like this guy would say

images

Remove this Banner Ad

Browne is our rucking future

Remove this Banner Ad

Back