Brown's hit on O'Keefe

Remove this Banner Ad

He went knees first because that is how you slide. No doubt in my mind he wanted to hit that contest as hard as he could, and rightly so. That's football and there is no rule against it, as long as the player does not get hit high or in the back. You may not like it being done to your player, but that doesn't make him a sniper. And if Goodes, Bolton or Jack had of done the same thing you would be applauding.

Lol. He wasn't hitting any contest hard. He ran past the ball to drop the knees into another player who was on the ground. If a Swans player dodged a chance to clear the ball out so they could try and injure a player lying on the ground I sure as shit wouldn't be applauding.

Edit: Hell, looking at it again he doesn't even really slide. The first point of contact his left knee makes is the side of O'Keefe.

God help us all, and the game if we're going to look at suspending players or banning anyone from hitting a contest hard.

He went knees first because that is how you slide. No doubt in my mind he wanted to hit that contest as hard as he could, and rightly so. That's football and there is no rule against it, as long as the player does not get hit high or in the back. You may not like it being done to your player, but that doesn't make him a sniper. And if Goodes, Bolton or Jack had of done the same thing you would be applauding.
Do they hand out mod jobs with every membership on the Hawks board?

First things first. No, I would not applaud any Swans player going in with knees first without eyes for the ball, and to say so is childish and inaccurate. Doubt many Swans' supporters would TBH.

Second, all this confected rubbish about Brown being a "hard" "tough" footballer is just that, rubbish. A sniper, yes, a bloke who likes to niggle, yes, and a slapper and a cry-baby, yes, all of which has been amply covered ad nauseum.

I look forward to seeing if your admiration for Brown continues once he takes the money and runs off to GC. My bet is the Hawks' fans will snipe him as quick as look at him.

Do they hand out mod jobs with every membership on the Hawks board?

First things first. No, I would not applaud any Swans player going in with knees first without eyes for the ball, and to say so is childish and inaccurate. Doubt many Swans' supporters would TBH.

Second, all this confected rubbish about Brown being a "hard" "tough" footballer is just that, rubbish. A sniper, yes, a bloke who likes to niggle, yes, and a slapper and a cry-baby, yes, all of which has been amply covered ad nauseum.

I look forward to seeing if your admiration for Brown continues once he takes the money and runs off to GC. My bet is the Hawks' fans will snipe him as quick as look at him.
What's my standing as a Mod got to do with my opinion?
Don't make this personal.

He goes when it's his turn, that's not the modus operandi of a sniper for starters. In his very first yea he stood in front of a leading Nigel Smart with a busted shoulder and took the hit, ultimately winning the Hawks the game.
The fact he is willing to put himself in predicaments that could quite as easily incur the same damage as you think he's handed out in this instance is just another reason he is not a 'sniper' per se.

You may chose to dislike him because he attacks the ball and player hard, but that's why so many from the 'old school' love the way he goes about it.
He's the sort of player opposition fans will always hate, but I can guarantee you'd love him if he had a swans jumper on, and any comments to the contrary will be looked upon as false.

As it was, he didn't incur a report because all he did was slide in hard to a contest for the ball. O'Keefe received a free kick, and it's play on.

What's my standing as a Mod got to do with my opinion?
Don't make this personal.

He goes when it's his turn, that's not the modus operandi of a sniper for starters. In his very first yea he stood in front of a leading Nigel Smart with a busted shoulder and took the hit, ultimately winning the Hawks the game.
The fact he is willing to put himself in predicaments that could quite as easily incur the same damage as you think he's handed out in this instance is just another reason he is not a 'sniper' per se.

You may chose to dislike him because he attacks the ball and player hard, but that's why so many from the 'old school' love the way he goes about it.
He's the sort of player opposition fans will always hate, but I can guarantee you'd love him if he had a swans jumper on, and any comments to the contrary will be looked upon as false.

As it was, he didn't incur a report because all he did was slide in hard to a contest for the ball. O'Keefe received a free kick, and it's play on.
Then don't assume that I or other Swans' fans would applaud if one of our players slid in knees first into an opposition player, because I find it an offensive and unprovable slight. As a Mod, your comment to me suggests poor judgement. I expect that kind of provocation from a flog in the Bay, not a Mod on main board.

I don't "choose" to dislike him, I have in the past thought of Brown as a decent player, but he has done himself no favours over the past couple of years. This is not just my assessment, but an opinion many on BF share, regardless of which team you follow. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Finally, he did not attack the ball (in the ROK instance, anyway), he targetted the player. You call it a shepherd, others call it a cheap hit.

Then don't assume that I or other Swans' fans would applaud if one of our players slid in knees first into an opposition player, because I find it an offensive and unprovable slight. As a Mod, your comment to me suggests poor judgement. I expect that kind of provocation from a flog in the Bay, not a Mod on main board.

I don't "choose" to dislike him, I have in the past thought of Brown as a decent player, but he has done himself no favours over the past couple of years. This is not just my assessment, but an opinion many on BF share, regardless of which team you follow. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

Finally, he did not attack the ball (in the ROK instance, anyway), he targetted the player. You call it a shepherd, others call it a cheap hit.
I guess you weren't a fan of Lockett either.

Here's a tip, if you're going to sight another persons opinion as 'provocation' you're in for a tough time around here.
Still, there's no need to be so self righteous.

Thirdly, I've never called what Brown did a shephard.

God help us all, and the game if we're going to look at suspending players or banning anyone from hitting a contest hard.

you're only biased

This is not just my assessment, but an opinion many on BF share, regardless of which team you follow.

I take this to mean BF is the educated and unbiased opinions of football luminaries.:cool:

Get a grip. For a start, this thread is full of Essendon supporters for a reason. Dislike. This leads to bias. Simple.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good whinge.

To knee someone as many of you sheep suggest, don't you actually have to have a motion that goes through and continues past the point of impact. Almost like a swinging action.

Baa.

Here's my problem.

I think Brown should have been penalised for his shepard on O'Keefe, (which he was), but I don't understand what he was actually penalised for. From what I can tell, it was within 5m, a team-mate was contesting (so shepard legal and ROK expecting contact), it wasn't high, in the back, below the knee, or in the groin, so ticks pretty much every box according to my (piss-poor) understanding of the rules.

If we can ignore the Essendon and Cat trolls, can someone actually provide an offence he commited, or better yet what the umpire said when awarding the free?

Here's my problem.

I think Brown should have been penalised for his shepard on O'Keefe, (which he was), but I don't understand what he was actually penalised for. From what I can tell, it was within 5m, a team-mate was contesting (so shepard legal and ROK expecting contact), it wasn't high, in the back, below the knee, or in the groin, so ticks pretty much every box according to my (piss-poor) understanding of the rules.

If we can ignore the Essendon and Cat trolls, can someone actually provide an offence he commited, or better yet what the umpire said when awarding the free?

He actually did end up going into his back and not only that, wrapped the arm around high with a cheeky hit to the face as he was going over.

I take this to mean BF is the educated and unbiased opinions of football luminaries.:cool:

Get a grip. For a start, this thread is full of Essendon supporters for a reason. Dislike. This leads to bias. Simple.

But don't let facts get in the way of a good whinge.

To knee someone as many of you sheep suggest, don't you actually have to have a motion that goes through and continues past the point of impact. Almost like a swinging action.

Baa.

Yeh, we're all sheep but you're a crystal clear voice of objectivity on the subject. That's why you continue to argue for a disgraceful act of cowardice just because he happens to wear your club colours. Just think, you can follow the rest of us sheep next year when he jumps ship quicker than you can say "the death of tough footy".

Seriously, when did Hawks fans become this big a bunch of whingers? Between this and the the Buddy threads, I've lost any respect.

Yeh, we're all sheep but you're a crystal clear voice of objectivity on the subject. That's why you continue to argue for a disgraceful act of cowardice just because he happens to wear your club colours. Just think, you can follow the rest of us sheep next year when he jumps ship quicker than you can say "the death of tough footy".

Seriously, when did Hawks fans become this big a bunch of whingers? Between this and the the Buddy threads, I've lost any respect.

Join the queue of whingers champ. Baa

When has making avoidable contact to a player on the ground with their knees been legal?

Sorry, the question doesn't make sense or are you interpreting what is avoidable contact?

Contact (heavy) is made with players on the ground many times every game.

Judging by all the crying Campbell Brown is now a MRP saint. Thank **** for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm happy there are still a few loose cannons floating around the AFL like Brown. Was it a clean hit? Of course not. Is he a sniper? Who cares. Will he do something similar when he returns? I hope so.

I'm so sick of Essendon supporters whining about what the big bad Campbell Brown did in 2009. Time to get over it.

Besides, his slap has nothing to do with the fact that when the ball is there to be won, he's going at it at 100%.

That's how football is meant to be played.

Absolute joke of a comment - how are you a moderator you idiot?

As for Brown, he is respected about as much as anyone who saw his old man, not at all.

I'm happy there are still a few loose cannons floating around the AFL like Brown. Was it a clean hit? Of course not. Is he a sniper? Who cares. Will he do something similar when he returns? I hope so.

It would be interesting asking sane Geelong supporters whether they would prefer Rooke in their side or Varcoe. Or perhaps Milburn V Hunt. And get them to explain why?

Or perhaps lets ask the Essendon supporters what Mark Johnson's strength was before he could no longer keep up with the play.

Browns hit was very hard and bordering on charging. But it wasn't in any way illegal.

I recall that night at Waverly when Brendan Krummel was knocked into orbit. Whilst very distasteful, it was within the laws of the game and it was accepted that one of our blokes got hit hard. No bleating about cowardice acts of the like we have seen in this frenzied thread.

Today's views are sadly a reflection of just how conditioned we are about making the game predominantly about running without body contact. Ghosh, I even saw a free paid on the weekend for a shephered where the guy who got the free kick was barely brushed let alone contacted. At this point I got up and was about to leave. What a farce.

I guess you weren't a fan of Lockett either.

Here's a tip, if you're going to sight another persons opinion as 'provocation' you're in for a tough time around here.
Still, there's no need to be so self righteous.

Thirdly, I've never called what Brown did a shephard.
You assumed that Swans' supporters would applaud what Brown did IF done by one of our players. A ridiculous statement to make. Nothing self-righteous about me denying this, it just is a stupid statement to make.

I don't need "tips" from you either, regarding "sighting" (the actual spelling is "citing") another person's opinions etc. But thanks anyway...

And if it wasn't a shepherd, what was it? A tackle? A snipe?

For the record, I don't think Brown should have been cited by the MRP. This thread is simply an on-going exploration of the sniping career of Campbell Brown.

You assumed that Swans' supporters would applaud what Brown did IF done by one of our players. A ridiculous statement to make. Nothing self-righteous about me denying this, it just is a stupid statement to make.

I don't need "tips" from you either, regarding "sighting" (the actual spelling is "citing") another person's opinions etc. But thanks anyway...

And if it wasn't a shepherd, what was it? A tackle? A snipe?

For the record, I don't think Brown should have been cited by the MRP. This thread is simply an on-going exploration of the sniping career of Campbell Brown.
I'm sorry, but it's not a ridiculous statement to make at all.
Any club that has ever had a player like Campbell Brown, embraces them and the supporters adore them, rightly or wrongly.
If you want to continue to say you wouldn't, that's great, but you aint fooling anyone.

It's the reason West Coast supporters love Waters, Essendon supporters loved Solomon, Geelong supporters love Rooke etc. These players love to tread that line, and in most cases if the opportunity is there to hit the contest hard and inflict some pain, they will.

You obviously missed the point of my Lockett comment earlier. I bet you were quite impressed when he'd throw his weight around the forward line?

I bet you came on BF and posted this after Lloyd "floated around" and took out your good little clean boy Sewell, didn't you?:rolleyes: Can you just imagine the utter rage and venom on BF had Bombers' fans come on here and peddled the line I have highlighted in your post? You and all your sooking Hawks mates would have gone bananas, and did so after the game last year, remember??

Yeah, great to have loose canons floating around, as long as they play for you, isn't it? But the moment one of them takes one of your players out, it's thread after thread after thread of outrage and disgust and moral grandstanding. I know, I read through the hundreds of bloody Hawks' fans going off their nut last year. And you know what, I agreed with Hawks fans then...But you know what, the next time some "loose canon" floats in and cleans up one of your players, I shall direct all Hawks' fans back to comments such as this. With great relish, I might add.

Personally I didn't mind the hit on Sewell. I mean he got weeks, as he should have and that is that. Probably turned the momentum the Bombers way and they went on to win The game is getting softer so it is refreshing to see players get roughed up now and again, so long as no one is seriously hurt.

You obviously missed the point of my Lockett comment earlier. I bet you were quite impressed when he'd throw his weight around the forward line?[/quote]

No I didn't. But you didn't say Lockett in your original post, did you? You said, from memory, Goodes and Bolton. I stand by that claim, and bringing Lockett into it is beside the point. I don't want to see Goodes or bolton slide into a guy with their knees first, with the clear intent of trying to hurt the player and with no eyes for the ball. Unless it's into Campbell Brown, I guess. Doesn't matter anyway, he'll leave your beloved club at the end of the year for $$$$, and you'll all turn on him and next year he'll snipe someone in your side and you'll call him a sniper and a dog. I look forward to that...

Anyway as I said to another Brown apologist, wait until someone cleans up one of your pretty boys again, like last year, and let's just see how keen you are to protect the tough side of AFL then, shall we? I mean, we all remember how Hawks' fans were so keen to see that kind of tough guy behaviour stay in the game, don't we?? You all cheered and congratulated Lloyd after the game, didn't you?:rolleyes:

Personally I didn't mind the hit on Sewell. I mean he got weeks, as he should have and that is that. Probably turned the momentum the Bombers way and they went on to win The game is getting softer so it is refreshing to see players get roughed up now and again, so long as no one is seriously hurt.
Well that wasn't what 99% of outraged and apoplectic Hawks' fans were saying last year on here, was it?

Well that wasn't what 99% of outraged and apoplectic Hawks' fans were saying last year on here, was it?

Probably not. But in the context of how it occurred I can see why there was such an an uproar. We struggled all season, ended up playing off against the arch enemy Essendon for a spot in the finals which we desperately wanted a year after winning the flag. Matty Lloyd comes out and cleans up one of our best ball winners and effectively changes the course of the game. Ends our season, and really highlights how far we had fallen from the top of the pecking order.

Basically, perhaps the uproar was a method of distracting the masses from the real issue, which was how we managed to miss the finals the year after winning the flag. Or perhaps there are a bunch of hawk sooks on here who you have accurately identified. Probably the latter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brown's hit on O'Keefe

Remove this Banner Ad

Back