Bruce Lehrmann revealed as man charged with two counts of rape in Toowoomba

Remove this Banner Ad

You would think that if it makes it to judgement that the same judgement for Lehrman would come for Reynolds:

You can't sue for damage to your reputation if it's just the reputation you deserve.

Reynolds can hardly argue that it's only because of Higgins' behaviour that her reputation has been damaged. The reputational damage is 95% from Reynolds' actions, the actions of her husband and the actions of the Government she was in.

She's behaved like nothing other than a c--- the whole time. It'd be hard to prove her reputation is damaged below the reputation for being a c--- that she deserves anyway. "I might be a c--- your honour, but Ms Higgins implied I was a complete and utter c--- in a tweet".

Leaking confidential info about Higgins too.....

I'm trying to imagine if a manager at my workplace covered up something like this and then attacked the victim afterwards, they wouldn't be welcome in the industry ever again.

Not the only defamation case surrounding politics at the moment where the defence may invoke the "what reputation?" card.
Every time I hear about one of these defamation cases, I think "I thought you were a terrible person because of what you did in Government and/or to get there, on the public record for all to see, not because somebody tweeted something which nobody saw or took seriously"

Defamed by a tweet that nobody saw until Reynolds started a defamation suit about it.

I believe that The Monthly recently tasked Jonathan Green with writing a profile on JA and then spiked it at the last minute...
Yep. Nine Media papers reported that the Monthly had looked at engaging with NewsCorp identities Albrechtsen, Chris Kenny and Tom Switzer for feature stories to 'celebrate' the Australian newspaper's 60th birthday.

But the Albrechtsen feature has been put on ice. Not sure why. Would have thought that the ACT Supreme Court finding of apprehended bias' against Justice Walter Sofronoff for his excessive contact with Albrechtsen during his 'independent' inquiry into the ACT Justice system following the Lehrmann rape trial would surely have made fascinating reading.

Unless of course, the feature article with Albrechtsen would have been a puff-piece that its editors realised would have cast doubt on the Monthly's credibility given findings and allegations made against Albrechtsen?

Not the only defamation case surrounding politics at the moment where the defence may invoke the "what reputation?" card.
What I'm not sure about is whether Reynolds is referring to her reputation prior to the alleged or rape based on probabilities, as I don't think she was terrible in the defence portfolio, in fact I hardly recall her much before that.

What um saying is the defamation then based on a her then to now stating that Higgins allegations of harassment led her here?

Because right now eeekkkk.

What I'm not sure about is whether Reynolds is referring to her reputation prior to the alleged or rape based on probabilities, as I don't think she was terrible in the defence portfolio, in fact I hardly recall her much before that.

What um saying is the defamation then based on a her then to now stating that Higgins allegations of harassment led her here?

Because right now eeekkkk.
People not knowing your reputation is different to not knowing how bad it is.

Nobody had heard of Bruce Lehrman before he r*ped somebody.

Aside from the lawyers, who is winning in this sorry tale? Seems like too many bears have been poked, while the media feasts on the outfall.

People not knowing your reputation is different to not knowing how bad it is.

Nobody had heard of Bruce Lehrman before he r*ped somebody.
Yeah fair enough but I would assume she'll have a line of former colleagues and staffers that provide glowing character references.

I guess my question when looking at defamation how do you take a person's reputation into account and what point?
Because the character references will say one thing, however this appears to be who she truly is.

I don't know how this plays out, just wondering what Reynolds is expecting here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The private defamation action brought by Senator Linda Reynolds against Brittany Higgins commenced in the WA Supreme Court on Friday and is expected to run for in excess of three weeks.

Reynolds was also pursuing Higgin's husband David Sharaz for defamation but he announced in April he would no longer fight the case and consented to judgment.

The Australian newspaper, whose columnist conservative cheer leader Janet Albrechtsen has been a strong supporter of Team Lehrmann and Reynolds, has had a dig at the Teals main supporter and fundraiser for attacking Liberal Senator Linda Reynolds pursuit of rape victim and former staffer Brittany Higgins.

Rather than back off, it seems to have emboldened him. Not sure this is what the Libs would want as we lead into a possible election timeframe. Especially given that Reynolds, while not contesting the next election, is sill a serving Federal Senator and Shadow Minister.

1722731079847.png

Last edited:

And to top things off Senator Reynolds commenced her legal action against her former staffer on Friday by framing what happened as a "fairytale"

Screenshot 2024-08-04 at 2.30.41 PM.png

Now of course, Reynolds is using that ‘fairytale’ trope to reference Higgins suggestions of a political cover up following the rape.

But she surely knows what other audience that terminology plays to given that there still exist a hard rump of people who think Brittany Higgins invented the whole rape story. Using that term in the context of a series of events that started with a rape allegation shows a chilling disregard for the context and gravity of sexual assault & victim trauma. And as Justice Michael Lee found, on the balance of probabilities Brittany Higgins WAS r*ped by another one of Reynolds’ staffers (Bruce Lehrmann ) in Reynolds own Parliamentary Office.

A serving Federal Senator and Shadow Minister using the term 'fairytale' as part of her narrative to bankrupt a rape victim for defamatory social media posts that feck all people saw let alone remember tells its own story.

Liberal Senator Linda Reynolds quest to 'save her public reputation' is going well.

Scott Morrison has been listed to appear as a witness. Can't wait for that.

1722843253801.png

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 3.55.08 PM.png

Last edited:
Linda Reynolds evidence in terms of consistency and coherency is starting to fall apart.

She's already reaching for the 'But Labor' catch-all excuse, naming just about everyone on the Labor front bench and placing blame for her inconsistency in behaviour. And now Reynolds is claiming the death of Labor Senator Kimberley Kitching was linked to her knowledge of Higgins rape claim.

A clusterfeck of disgusting politically motivated BS that cannot possibly be tested in court.

Edit: and for the record:

1722924799152.png

And how any of this is her own Liberal Party staffer's fault (who was dealing with the trauma of an alleged rape) is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
Linda Reynolds evidence in terms of consistency and coherency is starting to fall apart.

She's already reaching for the 'But Labor' catch-all excuse, naming just about everyone on the Labor front bench and placing blame for her inconsistency in behaviour on the death of Labor politician Kimberley Kitching.

A clusterfeck of politically motivated BS. How any of this is her own Liberal Party staffer's fault (who was dealing with the trauma of an alleged rape) is anyone's guess.

I actually find her recollections of conversations with Kimberly Kitching disgusting. These are conversations that cannot be verified at all. I am not sure why the Judge is allowing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce Lehrmann revealed as man charged with two counts of rape in Toowoomba

Remove this Banner Ad

Back