Bruce Lehrmann revealed as man charged with two counts of rape in Toowoomba

Remove this Banner Ad

Linda Reynolds evidence in terms of consistency and coherency is starting to fall apart.

She's already reaching for the 'But Labor' catch-all excuse, naming just about everyone on the Labor front bench and placing blame for her inconsistency in behaviour on the death of Labor politician Kimberley Kitching.

A clusterfeck of politically motivated BS. How any of this is her own Liberal Party staffer's fault (who was dealing with the trauma of an alleged rape) is anyone's guess.

Let's say Linda Reynolds wins her case and Higgins is made poor (again) by the Libs.

Does she honestly think that people will see her as a hero vindicated?

Even if she didn't cover anything up, her behaviour since has been deplorable. She's unemployable except amongst LNP circles. She probably couldn't even get on the board of friendly mining businesses because they're all trying to deal with the massive sexual discrimination issues they have.

Let's say Linda Reynolds wins her case and Higgins is made poor (again) by the Libs.

Does she honestly think that people will see her as a hero vindicated?

Even if she didn't cover anything up, her behaviour since has been deplorable. She's unemployable except amongst LNP circles. She probably couldn't even get on the board of friendly mining businesses because they're all trying to deal with the massive sexual discrimination issues they have.
A good point.

As previously pointed out, Australia's defamation laws are regarded as being uniquely plaintiff friendly in that it is up to the defendant to prove that defamation did not occur with a publication that names the plaintiff (including in social media posts).

And Western Australia, where this defamation case is taking place, is regarded as being the most plaintiff friendly of all Australian states because WA has not passed changes implemented in most other jurisdictions such as the serious harm threshold and the public interest defence.

Consequently, my layman view is that under WA legislation Senator Reynolds has a very strong chance of proving defamation has occurred and that she is entitled to some form of monetary compensation for reputational damage.

But as you say, imho her reputation in the eyes of most Australians has suffered terminal damage not from social media posts that most of us have ever seen but for her subsequent actions in seeking revenge and retribution from her former staffer.

A good point.

As previously pointed out, Australia's defamation laws are regarded as being uniquely plaintiff friendly in that it is up to the defendant to prove that defamation did not occur with a publication that names the plaintiff (including in social media posts).

And Western Australia, where this defamation case is taking place, is regarded as being the most plaintiff friendly of all Australian states because WA has not passed changes implemented in most other jurisdictions such as the serious harm threshold and the public interest defence.

Consequently, my layman view is that under WA legislation Senator Reynolds has a very strong chance of proving defamation has occurred and that she is entitled to some form of monetary compensation for reputational damage.

But as you say, imho her reputation in the eyes of most Australians has suffered terminal damage not from social media posts that most of us have ever seen but for her subsequent actions in seeking revenge and retribution from her former staffer.
Up until the defamation case, I think we would never know how much support Reynolds should or did give, because she's not going to tell the truth, and Higgins is unreliable in that she was going through trauma, depression etc, so maybe no amount of support would have ever felt enough.

But as soon as the defamation was launched, I feel like i have a much better picture of what kind of person Reynolds is. Vindictive is the main word which springs to mind. Husband following the Lehrman trial, leaking to the media. Does she not realise that maybe she should still not be being mean to the lady who was r*ped in her office?

I actually find her recollections of conversations with Kimberly Kitching disgusting. These are conversations that cannot be verified at all. I am not sure why the Judge is allowing it.
Different matter than a criminal case before a jury, where the Judge is controlling the evidence presented to the Jury.

The Judge may be purely making notes of the evidence provided to be addressed in his summary if need be.

The same rules of evidence apply however, which he can place credence to or ignore completely and any claims made that rely on heresay without supporting evidence will be considered with the distain it deserves.

Im really just following this via The Guardian - but what the hell is Reynolds doing? She is claiming defamation whilst admitting in court she leaked Higgins personal and private documents to Albrehtsen, making unconfirmed accusations about her own staff leaking against herself, making claims or conversations with a deceased person, now accusing Dreyfus of acting corruptly, and claiming her precious little heart is giving way anytime it gets too much.

Reynolds victim mentality is completely out of control.

Did lol at this - Reynolds said she chose Albrechtsen because she had “respect for her professionalism and her even-handedness”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im really just following this via The Guardian - but what the hell is Reynolds doing? She is claiming defamation whilst admitting in court she leaked Higgins personal and private documents to Albrehtsen, making unconfirmed accusations about her own staff leaking against herself, making claims or conversations with a deceased person, now accusing Dreyfus of acting corruptly, and claiming her precious little heart is giving way anytime it gets too much.

Reynolds victim mentality is completely out of control.

Did lol at this - Reynolds said she chose Albrechtsen because she had “respect for her professionalism and her even-handedness”.
This is the sort of attitude that pervaded the entire Morrison government, rules for thee but not for me, most of these people are still involved in the Parliamentary Party and for some godforsaken reason there are those that have it that they should be returned to power.

Reynolds really is the modern achetypal Liberal - confusing her ambition with her abilities on massive scale. I cannot believe how someone so obviously dumb and incompetent could make it as far as she did.

She was quite sure that she had rights to other information, too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce Lehrmann revealed as man charged with two counts of rape in Toowoomba

Remove this Banner Ad

Back