Bruce McAvaney... I think its time

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd rather get rid of all of them and just clone Anthony Hudson 10 times.
possibly the ONLY non-annoying commentator in the game .. everyone else has their moments

But if this is really a thread, where the heck is the Duhwayne thread .. the bloke has THE most annoying vocal cords ever, screams like a beech and says the same try hard comments over and again

Can someone confirm this exchange really happened last night?

Hamish: something about Josh Gibson being 'The Janitor', cleaning up in Hawthorn's backline.
Bruce: "You'd reckon he'd be the best looking janitor in the country right now"

Not refering to last night's game but so many great games, big finals, grand finals and historic moments over the years, the footage of all of them are ruined by having the low quality of Australian commentary as their soundtrack.

Yeah Bruce should have gone years ago along with that Cometti ******, but look at who will replace them - BT, Romp & Bazil ffs - you made your bed Ch7, have fun lying in it but I wont be listening.

635.gif

that guy could be a boundary rider

I was going to say 5 years ago, but 10 also works.
Has almost become a parody of himself, and when you start quoting Dwayne Russell you know your time is up.

Exactly. 10 years ago he could have transitioned away from full time to part time TV/radio or something while still doing the racing, tennis, Olympics, etc and he would have always been considered one of the greatest voices of the game ever, up there with Mike Williamson, Phil Landy and Lou Richards. In fact with the wide range of sports he covered he could have been the greatest Australian sports commentator of all time. Unfortunately that has been tarnished now and people will forget his measured and great calling with only the ridiculous fawning over a handful of players and carrying on about rubbish while ignoring the actual play on the field.

He's still in the Australian Sports Hall of Fame and should enter the AFL/VFL Hall of Fame, but his star has definitely faded from what it could have been.

Yep, he has been sh*t for a very long time. I want a commentator that commentates not one that gives me there sh*t opinion and tries to tell me a story about the game. Call it as it is happening, non bias non "i just got a boner" over the top commentating.
why does every commentator think they have to be so EXCITED all the time.

TBH, I don't think he's that bad. Might just be the comfort of familiarity from him commentating everything for as long as I can remember, but I've never disliked him. His enthusiasm after so many years is great, and I find the excitement and homoeroticism (which he quite obviously plays up) humourous rather than threatening, too.

Let's not pretend that us average Joes wouldn't turn into fanboys pretty quickly if given the mic, either.

I'd rather listen to Bruce than some straight boring description of the action. It's not radio, so a commentator needs to do something other that just "Player X kicks to Player Y, who handpasses to Player Z". We can see that on the screen already, so more excitement, colour, discussion and analysis is worthwhile and necessary.

Can someone confirm this exchange really happened last night?

Hamish: something about Josh Gibson being 'The Janitor', cleaning up in Hawthorn's backline.
Bruce: "You'd reckon he'd be the best looking janitor in the country right now"
I can confirm that it is ****ing hilarious!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favourite commentators are the ones on that are on radio. I cant stand any of them on tv... Well Sandy Roberts would have to be the one I like.
Dwayne Russell and Huddo are the two that I dislike the most. BT is a tosser, Bruce is stale and Den is retiring.
I wish they'd bring back Peter Landy and Drew Morphett oh and Ian Robertson.

I'd rather listen to Bruce than some straight boring description of the action. It's not radio, so a commentator needs to do something other that just "Player X kicks to Player Y, who handpasses to Player Z". We can see that on the screen already, so more excitement, colour, discussion and analysis is worthwhile and necessary.
That's what the special commentators are supposed to be for...

You can also still do that, like Huddo, without being a flog

Yep, he has been sh*t for a very long time. I want a commentator that commentates not one that gives me there sh*t opinion and tries to tell me a story about the game. Call it as it is happening, non bias non "i just got a boner" over the top commentating.
why does every commentator think they have to be so EXCITED all the time.

as well as being AMAZED & ASTONISHED while EXCEPTIONAL & PHENOMENAL football takes place before their very eyes, how lucky they are to be ALIVE:drunk:

Call me old school, but Sandy Roberts can call a game better than all these nuffies combined, Huddo is ok & I always forget his name but the guy who calls most of 7's VFL games is also good most times i've heard him. These guys call the game well, why others feel the need to waffle shite when there a game on is puzzling. I mean who are these clowns calling the game for? Not your average footy lover I would have thought.

How about their idea we should have a stat called "a Cyril"?!?!?!?!

You could say "he's had 6 Cyril's".

I dead set nearly spewed up listening to that shit.
A :How many cyrils you had tonight?

B: 6..... 5 to advantage.

i donno i think it might catch on :p

Exactly. 10 years ago he could have transitioned away from full time to part time TV/radio or something while still doing the racing, tennis, Olympics, etc and he would have always been considered one of the greatest voices of the game ever, up there with Mike Williamson, Phil Landy and Lou Richards. In fact with the wide range of sports he covered he could have been the greatest Australian sports commentator of all time. Unfortunately that has been tarnished now and people will forget his measured and great calling with only the ridiculous fawning over a handful of players and carrying on about rubbish while ignoring the actual play on the field.

He's still in the Australian Sports Hall of Fame and should enter the AFL/VFL Hall of Fame, but his star has definitely faded from what it could have been.

if you watched the last olympics he was actually terrible too - no sense of excitement and some of his calls i mistook a final for a heat since he wasn't commentating with any effort

The difference between McAvaney's commentary back in the 90s and his commentary now are poles apart.

Back in the 90s he was more professional and unbiased, he used to gush over Carey but it's still nothing compared to the way he gushes over Rioli.

The worrying thing is that Hame is following in his footsteps and picking up all the newer bad traits of Bruce and none of the older good traits.

It's criminal that this clown continues to get a gig over a consummate professional like Peter Donegan.

I still reckon Bruce is better than the rest of the circus but you are spot on regarding Peter Donegan. Should be the number one TV caller - I've got no idea who we barracks for, who his favourite players are, who his mates are etc. I do know he can call a game with the right amount of drama, excitement and knowledge to add to the broadcast rather than detract from it.

I still think he's ok calling other sports. As you say, his constant foaming over certain players, and calling Paul Chapman "Uncle Pauly" last year was straight out embarrassing. He should pull up stumps at the end of the year, and go out on his terms like Denis is doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce McAvaney... I think its time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back