Bruce Springsteen

Remove this Banner Ad

I may consider redoing another countdown, as in updating it with Wrecking Ball songs and reshuffling the order, if I did so, would you guys read it? I would obviously post it again in here. Only reason I ask is I cbf doing it all again if nobody is going to pay attention haha.

Yeah I'll read it. Maybe you can just put a link to the old review if your thinking of that song hasn't changed, but its ranking has changed.

Can you update your original video links. All you have to do is cut and paste whatever is after "v=" into the following command and where the xxxx are.

And get rid of the " " and the ........ put them in so a blank you tube page didn't come up

"[..media=youtube..]"xxxxx"[/media...]"

I think we need an ultimate Bruce thread showdown of best songs as voted on by the regulars.

I don't mind doing it all again (number is yet to be determined), but I am just trying to gauge what people's thoughts would be on such a matter.

But we already know the winner! Kitty better get some recognition :mad:

Yeah I'll read it. Maybe you can just put a link to the old review if your thinking of that song hasn't changed, but its ranking has changed.

Can you update your original video links. All you have to do is cut and paste whatever is after "v=" into the following command and where the xxxx are.

And get rid of the " " and the ........ put them in so a blank you tube page didn't come up

"[..media=youtube..]"xxxxx"[/media...]"
Too much effort lol.

Every song is gonna get a new description, and hopefully a better one.

I think we need an ultimate Bruce thread showdown of best songs as voted on by the regulars.

But we already know the winner! Kitty better get some recognition :mad:
Would be a good idea.

Are you sure? ;)

Too much effort lol.

Every song is gonna get a new description, and hopefully a better one...

Well if you write new ones, then I will read them. And if you put in the videos then will be a big bonus. :thumbsu:

Watching Queen of the Supermarket from the last show....FMD the guy who requested this needs a bullet. I spin Working on a Dream regularly, but not for this one (it's not great, but it's an easy listen). Life Itself, What Love Can Do and Kingdom of Days are ripper cuts. According to my LastFM stats, Life Itself is my favourite song of all time :confused:

Wanna play a WOAD song on acoustic, how about The ******* Wrestler!!?

No more countdowns until Cruffy appreciates the magic of Kitty, The Fever, Blinded (Bruce version dammit), One Step Up, Missing, None But the Brave and Soul Driver :cool:

Wages of Sin from Tracks (BitUSA out-take) played for the first time ever at Finland#2 :eek:

I'll Work for Your Love on acoustic as opener, Long Walk Home, Ain't Good Enough for You (!!!), ripper set. Youngstown into Murder Inc would have been awesome. Racing to start the encore, not quite Jungleland at Melb3 but solid nonetheless.

As RussellEbertHandball requested, here is the original countdown list. Looking at it back myself, there will be quite a shake up I think.

61) Murder Incorporated
60) Sad Eyes
59) Iceman
58) Trapped
57) For You
56) Born In The USA
55) Youngstown
54) Lonesome Day
53) Atlantic City
52) Devil’s Arcade
51) Seaside Bar Song
50) Because The Night
49) Take Em As They Come
48) My Love Will Not Let You Down
47) The Fuse
46) E-Street Shuffle
45) Darkness On The Edge Of Town
44) Bobby Jean
43) American Skin
42)Working On A Dream
41) She’s The One
40) You’ll Be Comin Down
39) Dancing In The Dark
38) Candy’s Room
37) No Surrender
36) Don’t Look Back
35) Spirit In The Night
34) Meeting Across The River
33) Your Own Worst Enemy
32) The Promised Land
31) Loose Ends
30) Human Touch
29) Wrecking Ball
28) Adam Raised A Cain
27) Radio Nowhere
26) Night
25) Secret Garden
24) 10th Avenue Freeze Out
23) Drive All Night
22) It’s Hard To Be A Saint In The City
21) Girls In Their Summer Clothes
20) Thunder Road
19) Badlands
18) The Rising
17) Downbound Train
16) Land Of Hope And Dreams
15) Roll Of The Dice
14) Racing In The Street
13) New York City Serenade
12) Born To Run
11) I’m Goin Down
10) Ties That Bind
9) Lost In The Flood
8) Something In The Night
7) Streets Of Fire
6) Incident On 57th Street
5) Rosalita
4) Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street
3) Growin Up
2) Backstreets
1) Jungleand

Murder Inc, For You, Youngstown, Bobby Jean, Spirit, Adam - all got seriously dissed in that list.

WTF are Working on a Dream (I don't even...), Candy's Room, Roll of the Dice, I'm Going Down, Ties, Growin' Up (3??!) doing so high, let alone there at all? ;)

The songs here from The Rising, Magic and WOAD are all wrong. New list needs Jack of All Trades and Rocky Ground as a bare minimum. My anger here is giving me The Fever, hint. :D Where's Prove It All Night?

Using this post as a means of venting frustration from assignments. Carry on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murder Inc, For You, Youngstown, Bobby Jean, Spirit, Adam - all got seriously dissed in that list.

WTF are Working on a Dream (I don't even...), Candy's Room, Roll of the Dice, I'm Going Down, Ties, Growin' Up (3??!) doing so high, let alone there at all? ;)

The songs here from The Rising, Magic and WOAD are all wrong. New list needs Jack of All Trades and Rocky Ground as a bare minimum. My anger here is giving me The Fever, hint. :D Where's Prove It All Night?

Using this post as a means of venting frustration from assignments. Carry on.
I've just decided I am going to do a top 100. Narrowing it down is tough. Longer list gives me more room for scope.

How the **** can you not like Candy's Room man? Get out! Growin' Up is just fun, and I listen to it every morning, I enjoy it, I know he has better songs, but this is a favourite, not the best ;)

Don't worry, there is going to be a huge shake up.

100) It’s A Shame
Album: The Promise (2010)
*New entry*

"And I thought I'd shown all the love I had for you, yes I did"

Well something had to kick things off and this is it. Upbeat and full of horns (would sound epic on this tour), it comes from the unreleased Promise album. This song kicks off with that twang telecasters are famous for, Garry’s bass is so smooth and the organs are great if you listen carefully enough. Song seems to be about a guy and girl who just can’t get things to work, he’s done everything he can but it just doesn’t seem good enough.

It’s A Shame (sorry, I couldn’t resist), that more stuff off The Promise doesn’t get a run live. With the big band and added additions to The ESB this would translate well on stage. You would imagine it would produce a very full sound and the chorus would be great the the E-Street Choir.

I've just decided I am going to do a top 100. Narrowing it down is tough. Longer list gives me more room for scope.

Don't worry, there is going to be a huge shake up.

Top 100 :thumbsu: this will be some good reading over the next few weeks. It will force me to go and listen to some rare and obscure songs no doubt which will be good. Top effort Cruyffy.

99) The Wrestler
Album: Working On A Dream (2009)
*New entry*

“If you’ve ever seen one legged dog, then you’ve seen me”

Used as the theme song to the movie of the same name starring Micky Rourke, it is yet another underrated track that has not seen enough light. Beginning with a lovely string arrangement moving into soothing acoustic guitar and piano, its lyrics are dark and give off a depressing vibe. It sounds like the character in this song is only good at one thing, while struggling through life.

This doesn’t really get much of a play in my Bruce rotation, but I can appreciate the quality of the song and the story it tells. Deserves more recognition than it has from a mainstream audience.

98) The Brokenhearted
*New entry*

"Now all that I love slipped into this darkness, don't leave me to the brokenhearted"

Another song off The Promise, and another song which would sound great live as it features horns. One of the best songs off The Promise and one that grabbed me straight away and one I listen to semi-regularly from that album. The horns are subtle and remain in the background without overpowering the song, but at the same time let you know they’re there. However, when we get to the bridge, the tempo rises and we are given a higher dosage, it works well. In the songs closing thirty seconds or so, you can feel some pain and angst when he sings “tell me that you want me, tell me that you need me.”

If you’re not familiar with this song, give it a go. Yet another underrated song that has not been given a shot.

One has to wonder what else Bruce has hiding in the vault. If he thought he had a gold mine now, all the unreleased stuff he has buried away would propel that mine even deeper.

97) Wrong Side Of The Street
*New entry*

“Fear and desire, such a sweet confusion”

Straight out of the gates this hits you straight in the face and grabs your attention. Max features heavily and like usual, his drums really drive the song and spur it forward. No horns on this one, right until the end where C lets rip. It’s more of a rocker and I think it would have fit in on The River to be perfectly fair.

From what I can gather, it is about someone being where they don’t want to be IE – the wrong side of the street.

Not sure what else to say about it really. I find it easily to bop along to and I find myself constantly nodding my head in the beat of the drum. But I’m weird like that.

DrVanNostrand

96) You’re Missing
Album: The Rising (2002)
*New entry*

"Children are asking if it's alright, will you be in our arms tonight?"

We all know the story of The Rising and why it was written. You’re Missing is probably the most touching track to appear on the album. The song contains many poignant moments, and this is due to Bruce’s way with words, which force commanding imagery upon you. The violin throughout exemplifies this and it really gives that heartbroken effect. The organ to close the song out is a nice touch while adding more to the song, it remains true to the poignancy the song deserves.

It’s sad to think that so many wives would have been feeling this way, knowing that their husbands would never be coming home, but would wait in vain.

Underrated tune which sadly hasn’t been played since the Devils and Dust tour, when it made a sole appearance in New York. Was played at 97 Rising shows. Can’t see it being played hardly ever, if at all, unfortunately.

Which don't you like?

The Brokenhearted doesn't do it for me. It's a Shame and The Wrester are pure class.

DrVanNostrand

96) You’re Missing
Album: The Rising (2002)
*New entry*

Winner. Chilling outro organ solo. One of the reasons The Rising is Bruce's opus IMO.

I think I've mentioned the song 'Missing' in this thread before, from Bruce's aborted 1994 sessions for a synth-based album that spawned Secret Garden. I didn't know until reading the Bruce book that he used Missing as the basis for You're Missing. I've never heard the connection previously, but after reading it, it's plain to see.

Just imagine, Bruce has a whole album of material in the vein of Streets of Philadelphia and Secret Garden just sitting in the vaults, gathering dust. Nothing Man also originated from these sessions. Lift Me Up made it on to the Essential Bruce Springsteen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bruce Springsteen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back