23. Light Of Day

24. ROLL OF THE DICE (Solo, acoustic)
25. Born In The USA
26. Born To Run
27. Seven Nights To Rock
28. Dancing In The Dark
29. Tenth Avenue Freeze Out
30. American Land

Speaking of dying ... my dad passed away 10 years ago and I used the lines from Lonesome Day in his bereavement notice in the paper to express how I felt ...

It's gonna be okay, if I can just get through this lonesome day ...

A bit busy Cruyffy but in June will get back to posting lots of videos i want to put up. Also will have a shit load bigger download limit by then.

Thread is dieing :(

Won't happen....I'm still hanging around, waiting to see if Point Blank and Walk Like a Man make the Top 100.

After the brief discussion on the two Bruce bio's last week, I've been reading the The Promise of Rock'n'Roll book again. It's so much more about the music than the other bio, but a good read nonetheless. Think I'm gonna investigate the whole Tracks boxed set again, in more detail. When it first came out, I sort of listened to it, picked out my favourites (Iceman, Janey and a couple of others) and haven't really looked at it too much more. Methinks I may be missing some gems. Any suggestions?

PS. Really jealous of the setlists being posted. I'll be in Germany this time next year...wish I was there now.

A bit OT but anyone watching Stevie van Zandt in Lilyhammer? It's almost a Sopranos spin-off and while requiring a bit of suspension of disbelief entertaining viewing.

There's something delicious about Lilyhammer
lilyhammer-620x349.jpg

What an absurd idea. And yet, how delightful. The very notion of a US-Norwegian co-production is kind of odd, and the reality as it's put into practice here even odder, but there's undoubtedly something delicious about a New York gangster (The Sopranos' Steven Van Zandt) going into witness protection in Lillehammer (a) because no one will ever find him there, and (b) he's been in love with the place since watching the 1994 Winter Olympics.
There's something delicious about Lilyhammer

Sigh. BToR played in full. Again. Sigh.

Setlist Padua - 31 May, 2013
1. The Ghost of Tom Joad (acoustic)
2. Long Walk Home
3. My Love Will Not Let You Down
4. Two Hearts
5. Boom Boom (request)
6. Something in the Night (request)
7. The Ties That Bind (request)
8. We Take Care of our Own
9. Wrecking Ball
10. Death to my Hometown
11. Spirit in the Night

(Born To Run in its entirety)
12. Thunder Road
13. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
14. Night
15. Backstreets
16. Born To Run
17. She’s the One
18. Meeting Across the River
19. Jungleland

20. Shackled and Drawn
21. Waiting On A Sunny Day
22. The Rising
23. Badlands
24. Pay Me My Money Down
25. Born In The U.S.A.
26. Dancing In The Dark
27. Twist And Shout

Killer how, great songs in the first "set". Encores great too.

Sigh. BToR played in full. Again. Sigh.

Setlist Padua - 31 May, 2013
1. The Ghost of Tom Joad (acoustic)
2. Long Walk Home
3. My Love Will Not Let You Down
4. Two Hearts
5. Boom Boom (request)
6. Something in the Night (request)
7. The Ties That Bind (request)
8. We Take Care of our Own
9. Wrecking Ball
10. Death to my Hometown
11. Spirit in the Night

(Born To Run in its entirety)
12. Thunder Road
13. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
14. Night
15. Backstreets
16. Born To Run
17. She’s the One
18. Meeting Across the River
19. Jungleland

20. Shackled and Drawn
21. Waiting On A Sunny Day
22. The Rising
23. Badlands
24. Pay Me My Money Down
25. Born In The U.S.A.
26. Dancing In The Dark
27. Twist And Shout

Killer how, great songs in the first "set". Encores great too.

Fantastic set. I still think that the perfect closer would be the big, epic version of LOHAD, with the whole "let me see your hands" bit and the "people get ready" ending. I know that he loves Twist and Shout and that it works well with the horns, but to hear LOHAD at the end of that set woud be just unbelievable.

What next on your countdown?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic set. I still think that the perfect closer would be the big, epic version of LOHAD, with the whole "let me see your hands" bit and the "people get ready" ending. I know that he loves Twist and Shout and that it works well with the horns, but to hear LOHAD at the end of that set woud be just unbelievable.

What next on your countdown?
Sorry I have been so slack.

Something from Greetings, then something a little more modern, followed by some more Greetings then something left of field!

Came in work this morning to do the end of month accounts and brought my guitar and small cube amp with me for a bit of a play around when I finished. The shop closed at midday and I was left here in my office by myself, so I plugged the guitar in straight away and I've spent the last 2 and a bit hours working my way through last night's Padua setlist. Bit of a wasted day...but fun.

77) For You
Album: Greetings From Asbury Park (1972)
Previous rank: 59 (down 20)

Your cloud line urges me and my electric surges free

Imagery. It is a powerful tool. And Springsteen uses it extremely well. This song is one of those examples.

Now, this song is at opposite ends of the Spectrum when it is played with the band and when Bruce plays it on the piano. With the band, it doesn’t sound too depressing, it bops along and you can tap your foot to it and Bruce seems happy enough when he sings it.

You put him in front of the piano and you realize how heartbreaking this song really is. But alas, it gains intimacy. Absolutely outstanding song. Lyrically it is amazing. It’s up there with his best written songs. My heart breaks every time I listen to it and I think of the male character in the song. You can hear the pain in Springsteen’s voice in the solo version when he hits the chorus especially when he sings the “you”. It sounds like a tragedy, the lyrics are top notch and this stands among his underrated songs, and lyrically it wouldn’t look out of place in top 20 dare I say it.

It sounds like it’s about a guy who is in love with a girl, and she’s tried to kill herself. And that he’ll always be there for her. But, like a lot of his songs, it is open to interpretation.

Seriously wow. Just wow. How a song like this can be in anyone's catalogue let alone Springsteen's and not see the light of day often speaks volumes.

76) Easy Money
Album: Wrecking Ball (2012)
*New entry*

I got a hellfire burning and I got me a date

The first Wrecking Ball song to enter the countdown. Easy Money seems to be the forgotten song off Wrecking Ball, it sustained heavy live play early on in the tour then it got less and less and it hasn’t been played at all this year (I think). Maybe due to the absence of Patti, as she features during the second verse, but we’ll never know.

I see it as a poorer cousin to Shackled and Drawn, which isn’t really an insult to be honest. Easy Money has a very heavy Irish Folk/rock feel to it much like Death To My Hometown. The violin can be heard clearly, which IMO gives it that Irish sound. Max is heavy on the drums and his beat again just naturally drives the song forward.

Good song, without being great. Holds its own well though.

Looking back on it, I’d probably have it below For You. But that’s the beauty of Bruce. There’s that much your opinion will be different on any given day.

DrVanNostrand, for you, my friend :)

75) Blinded By The Light
Album: Greetings From Asbury Park (1972)
*New entry*

"Some hazard from Harvard was skunked on beer playing backyard bombardier"

It’s been well known that I much prefer Manfred Mann’s version of this song compared to Bruce’s. I thought with Bruce’s there was too much going on and the ‘jangly’ sound really just didn’t suit the song at all, as I had grown up with Manfred Mann’s version. I was a fan of Bruce doing it acoustically, and the song began to grow on me. I thought it sat very well and worked a lot better stripped back compared to the version with the full band. However, I started to give the full band version a go and it grew on me.

And here we are a quarter of the way through, at number 75.

As like with most songs on Greetings, Bruce whacked a whole lot of lyrics into a lot of the songs that appear on the album, and not many really make much sense. Blinded By The Light is no exception to Bruce’s rhyming ramblings. Fast paced foot tapping, and lots of rhymes, and some very bizarre references and words all come into play in Blinded By The Light

It’s a song I like to play on a sunny day. For some reason it gives me a sense of happiness and optimism when I hear it and I tend to forget about everything else in the world while it’s playing. Good way to kick off things on your first album.

I believe the Doc and JuddyBuddy were at this show

Nothing beats this version for me though

The night of the Milan show was the 29th anniversary of Born in the USA release so they got the full album

Start 20:38

1. Land of Hope & Dreams
2. My Love Will Not Let You Down
3. Out In The Street
4. American Land
5. GOOD GOLLY MISS MOLLY
6. Loose Ends
7. Wrecking Ball
8. Death To My Hometown
9. Atlantic City
10. The River
----------------------
11. Born In The USA
12. Cover Me
13. Darlington County
14. Working On The Highway
15. Downbound Train
16. I'm On Fire
17. No Surrender
18. Bobby Jean
19. I'm Going Down
20. Glory Days
21. Dancing In The Dark
22. My Hometown
-------------------------
23. Shackled & Drawn
24. Waitin' On A Sunny Day
cool.png

25. The Rising
26. Badlands
27. Hungry Heart
28. This Land is Your Land (First verse solo acoustic) / We Are Alive
29. Born To Run
30. 10th Avenue Freeze Out
31. Twist & Shout
32. Shout
33. Thunder Road (Acoustic)

End 23:41

From the greaslylake.org thread first page - he decided to repeat last years Milan effort

http://www.greasylake.org/the-circu...ial-milano-june-3rd-eurosetlistvision-thread/

last year on June 7 Bruce and the boys played what was then their second longest show ever - little did we know what was to follow... 3hrs 40 mins and then a long long walk back to the hotel in the early hours of the morning
biggrin.png

Bruce Springsteen Plays Second-Longest Show of His 40-Year Career
3:50 PM PDT 6/8/2012 by Erik Pedersen
0 0 0 0 0 Email Print Comments (1) ..
Getty Images

Bruce Springsteen, left, and Steven Van ZandtThe E Street Band wows a Milan stadium crowd with a career-spanning 33-song marathon.

There’s no other way to put it: Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band were feelin’ it Thursday.
our editor recommends
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band in Los Angeles: Concert Review'American Idol's' Jimmy Iovine Produces Stevie Nicks, Bruce Springsteen in Vintage Studio Footage (Video)Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band Live at The Apollo: Concert ReviewBruce Springsteen's 'Wrecking Ball': What the Critics are SayingBruce Springsteen Reveals Fall Stadium Tour Dates (Video)

It what’s likely to be remembered as the Milan Marathon, the veteran group -- which features a half-dozen sexagenarians and a 58-year-old -- kept many in the crowd at San Siro Stadium up past their bedtimes with a three-hour, 40-minute gig for the ages. Springsteen’s publicists said it was the second-longest in the band’s 40-year history, behind only the legendary and widely bootlegged New Year’s Eve 1980 show at Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, N.Y.

The band hit the stage to strains of Italian Ennio Morricone’s theme from Once Upon a Time in the West and wrapped 33 songs later with a cover of The Isley Brothers classic “Twist and Shout.” By contrast, they played a mere 25 songs over a paltry two hours and 40 minutes at their Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena show in April.

VIDEO: Bruce Springsteen Reveals Fall Stadium Tour Dates
The bulked-up band, stretched to 16 pieces for the current Wrecking Ball tour, played a truly career-spanning set Thursday, though the 1990s went unrepresented. Twenty of the songs came from Springsteen’s first seven albums covering the years 1972-84 -- that’s including "The Promise," which was recorded circa 1978 during the Darkness on the Edge of Town sessions but not released until decades later -- along with three from 2002’s The Rising and eight from this year’s Wrecking Ball.
Six tracks from 1984’s worldwide smash Born in the U.S.A. were deployed, compared with only one (“Dancing in the Dark”) at the L.A. show two months ago. The only other album Springsteen touched on Thursday was 2007’s Magic, whose lead single, “Radio Nowhere,” was played late in the main set. “Twist and Shout” was the night’s lone cover.

Q&A: Steven Van Zandt: Bruce Springsteen 'Is More Ambitious Than Tony Soprano'
The Milan show harkened to more than a quarter-century ago, when Springsteen and the band played way past the three-hour mark nearly every night. They are on their first tour without longtime saxman Clarence Clemons, who died nearly a year ago at 69. They are set to play 22 more European shows through July before returning to North America, where multiple-date stadium gigs are booked for Boston, Philadelphia and East Rutherford, N.J. More U.S. dates are expected to be announced.
Here’s the set list from Thursday’s ultramarathon at San Siro, which holds 80,000-plus for AC Milan and Inter Milan soccer:

We Take Care Of Our Own
Wrecking Ball
Badlands
Death to My Hometown
My City of Ruins
Spirit in the Night
The E Street Shuffle
Jack of All Trades
Candy's Room
Darkness on the Edge of Town
Johnny 99
Out in the Street