Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont put Gibbs in the same conversation as Sloane. Thats just silly. Bernie Vince is more like the conversation. 1 x B&F, no AA, inside outside player with good kicking skills.
Vince went for a 2nd rounder while in contract.

With regards to Lyons, obviously he is thought of otherwise he wouldnt have played all year and done well. Reality is we can cover him with players like CEY, Menzel, Grigg, Knight etc.

Cleric how can place Bernie Vince in the same comparison and classification to Bryce Gibbs.
Bryce has more finesse and talent than Bernie could ever dream to develop.
Let's just agree to disagree on that one.
I think the deal will be close to a pick in the top 10 and 20 or pick 13 and 1st rounder 2017 and our pick 25 returned to the Crows.
It will be done Monday or Tuesday the frenzy will be unstoppable by then.
Otherwise we keep him.
Go Baggers

You're right. Gibbs can be useless at times but when he's on he's better than Sloane.

Doesn't explain the low offer you lot made him or why you offered him (and Pick 13) to Carlton for Gibbs.

Aren't CEY and Grigg considered trade bait? And Menzel has done jack shit since coming back. How is he cover for Lyons?

Now that I'm done throwing grenades, seriously, what is with the hold up for this trade? Carlton have every right to seek what they want for a contracted, crucial player, and the Crows do have enough to make a trade happen. Both clubs are also known as fair negotiators. What the **** is taking so long?
And the funniest thing is that CEY, Grigg, Lyons and Menzel would all be best 22 at Port.

Feel free to head over to the polls forum and put up a Sloane vs Gibbs one. If your game that is.

Gibbs fits a massive need for us - but hopefully we aren't stupid enough to sell the farm as a result.

Decisions made in desperation generally aren't good ones - and we can't afford to set the expectation that we can be shafted.

I still think 13 is around the mark; slightly over; again, in the context of the stuffed up trade market the AFL has cultivated.
I nearly agree with all those comments- hell, is there a truce building here KE! Only thing I question is with is 13 being overs for Gibbs. You need him. We need him and he is contracted to us. 13 alone is not a fair trade and if it costs you a lower end regular player, say Lyon, and perhaps even an SANFL Grigg/ Dear type thrown in to get a second rounder back from us I think you'd have to take it. The Crows are in the prem window and we would be set back in our rebuild losing Gibbs so it can't be all win for Adelaide there has to be some fair compensation.
Do you think it will get done?

Cleric how can place Bernie Vince in the same comparison and classification to Bryce Gibbs.
Bryce has more finesse and talent than Bernie could ever dream to develop.
Let's just agree to disagree on that one.
I think the deal will be close to a pick in the top 10 and 20 or pick 13 and 1st rounder 2017 and our pick 25 returned to the Crows.
It will be done Monday or Tuesday the frenzy will be unstoppable by then.
Otherwise we keep him.
Go Baggers
Compare Vince to Bryce at the same age and you will see why I can compare them. And with what Vince has done at Melbourne to boot its not a stretch to put them on the same level.
You need to take it out of your mind that Gibbs was drafted at number 1.
If he was a third round pick that put forward what he has to date then this conversation would be very different.

And the funniest thing is that CEY, Grigg, Lyons and Menzel would all be best 22 at Port.

I like how I come here, actually talk about this topic in a non troll manner, and you still bring up Port and say crap like that. Nice to know the obsession is well and truly alive even in the off-season. And for the record, no, no they wouldn't be best 22 here. You might like to think that but no.

Feel free to head over to the polls forum and put up a Sloane vs Gibbs one. If your game that is.

I might actually do that.

Pick 13 alone won't land Pickett and Caleb
Pick 13 is just enough for one of the two but not both think Second Rd will be involved
It think it should be enough- unless Stewart or others are involved. No guarantees Pickett will ever overcome his serious Lanfanc injury. Marchbank has played 7/8 games and has been hindered as well.

I like how I come here, actually talk about this topic in a non troll manner, and you still bring up Port and say crap like that. Nice to know the obsession is well and truly alive even in the off-season. And for the record, no, no they wouldn't be best 22 here. You might like to think that but no.

I might actually do that.
I hope you do indeed do that. I will watch the results with much interest.

It think it should be enough- unless Stewart or others are involved. No guarantees Pickett will ever overcome his serious Lanfanc injury. Marchbank has played 7/8 games and has been hindered as well.

Getting a little scared now lol
But will be happy if 13 lands both and both overcome their injuries

If Lyons and 13 can't get deal done then will either be

1, 13 and 2017 First Rd
2, 13 and Brad Crouch
3, 13 and Matt Crouch

Neither of those would be traded in a straight swap. Forget what Port trolls post, they expected a top 10 for Hartlett, Gibbs isn't that good. A-grader in a D-grade side, making him a league wide B-Grader. 13 and small change is what he's worth, you want a premium for his contract, fine, sell him elsewhere.

Neither of those would be traded in a straight swap.

In what universe is that true?

Forget what Port trolls post, they expected a top 10 for Hartlett,

Yes, yes we did. We also said all along it was overs and the only thing we were willing to give up for him.

Gibbs isn't that good

Yes, yes he is.

A-grader in a D-grade side, making him a league wide B-Grader.

2a7d0d8c96e8d24ea9341b2114e7e00c.jpg

13 and small change is what he's worth,

Didn't know Dodoro was a Crows fan who posted on Big Footy.

Neither of those would be traded in a straight swap. Forget what Port trolls post, they expected a top 10 for Hartlett, Gibbs isn't that good. A-grader in a D-grade side, making him a league wide B-Grader. 13 and small change is what he's worth, you want a premium for his contract, fine, sell him elsewhere.

Interested in your thoughts on Betts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont put Gibbs in the same conversation as Sloane. Thats just silly. Bernie Vince is more like the conversation. 1 x B&F, no AA, inside outside player with good kicking skills.
Vince went for a 2nd rounder while in contract.

With regards to Lyons, obviously he is thought of otherwise he wouldnt have played all year and done well. Reality is we can cover him with players like CEY, Menzel, Grigg, Knight etc.

Vince is an excellent comparison to Gibbs; both very good footballers, who are capable of playing great games.

You also got pick 28 which helped you get the GWS 5.
You picked up Wright for free as a delisted FA.
Sauce was third in line as a ruckman and when he was tradee it was considered a steak knife deal.
Betts was a FA who would of stayed if you came even close to his offer from us.

Its not like we have done you over in trades. And dont forget you came to us offering Menzel cos you knew he was a lazy prick.

Didn't mention Jacobs or Betts. You guys jumped at Menzel because of his talent. Your board thought it a great deal.

Once again I was responding to someone who suggested we owed you something for Kerridge.

Needs to be read in context.

Yeah we're a D grade team that has supplied the Crows 2 starting 22 players and you think you can now get another.
The Crows surely realise they can't keep comming back to the well for very good players and pay nicks.
I think the deal will be done early next week for fair compensation to all and it will greater than pick 13.

I reckon SOS wants to take pick 5 to the Draft and use 13 for the GWS combination.
Yes but he is not going to get 13 plus top players or 2nd rounder with 13 .
So he doesn't get anything because there is no point in giving more than 13 for 28 yr old could have been star, maybe might be player.
I don't want Lyons to go top Carlton I want the 2 nd round pick we will get from GC or North.
I would put deadline of Tuesday lunch for deal or we move on , which is not good for Bryce and he will love to be back at club that could have done right thing.

They don't need to sell him mate. He is contracted.

What a load of rubbish.

There is one objective way to see how a club values a player, and that is by the salary they are willing to offer.

Your club is offering him well below the average AFL player wage of 300K. That means your club rates him well below average.

But we're not the only club that provides a value for him, it's not a difficult concept. We value him low because of salary cap situation and depth in that area. If another club offers him more, then that's his value. Can you understand this?

I nearly agree with all those comments- hell, is there a truce building here KE! Only thing I question is with is 13 being overs for Gibbs. You need him. We need him and he is contracted to us. 13 alone is not a fair trade and if it costs you a lower end regular player, say Lyon, and perhaps even an SANFL Grigg/ Dear type thrown in to get a second rounder back from us I think you'd have to take it. The Crows are in the prem window and we would be set back in our rebuild losing Gibbs so it can't be all win for Adelaide there has to be some fair compensation.
Do you think it will get done?

I agree - except on Lyons; I'm a huge fan, and have been for a few years - he might not suit your needs, but he's a good footballer. According to Champion Data, he's actually better than good - and almost good enough to be a straight swap with Gibbs (based on their measures - and the respective ages); but I'm not going that far ;)

I think it'll get done.

I think 13 is fair value; and a lot more valuable for you, than Gibbs is. I wouldn't be surprised if a Kelly/Dear/Grigg type was involved as a sweetener. Kelly would fit a need, and has proven he's a decent player, Grigg can't seem to get a game here so a fresh start would do him good; Dear actually looks quite good, a lot of potential, could turn out to be a good player.

But that will be the bonus - 13 will be the core of the deal, the other stuff will be minor (it's not going to be McGovern or Cameron - that's crazy talk).

Both Clubs have a good history of trading - we're fortunate that Jacobs developed as he did, but we paid reasonable value at the time. Trades last year look well in your favour, but, Again, the value was about right.

I'd be surprised if a deal wasn't done.

I also know a bit about Bolton (I've mentioned this on your board); he is massive on club culture, left to right and top to bottom - if Gibbs doesn't want to be there (and I know it's family reasons - but we don't know how intense the desire is); I would be surprised if Bolton would keep him there and let #13 slip away.

Interested in your thoughts on Betts?

He was a gun until he had an injury prone year and you guys let him go cheap?

Yes but he is not going to get 13 plus top players or 2nd rounder with 13 .
So he doesn't get anything because there is no point in giving more than 13 for 28 yr old could have been star, maybe might be player.
I don't want Lyons to go top Carlton I want the 2 nd round pick we will get from GC or North.
I would put deadline of Tuesday lunch for deal or we move on , which is not good for Bryce and he will love to be back at club that could have done right thing.

The 'right thing' works two ways. Carlton have placed a valuation on Gibbs and the onus is on AFC to meet it or provide a viable alternative. I say the exact same thing about HFC with O'Meara. Matthew Llyod questioned the other day why so many people look at trades as a win only for their club. You have to loose something to get quality in. If Gibbs isn't quality then don't go after him plain and simple. Just go get Tom Rockliff for a pick in the 30s....

Didn't mention Jacobs or Betts. You guys jumped at Menzel because of his talent. Your board thought it a great deal.

Once again I was responding to someone who suggested we owed you something for Kerridge.

Needs to be read in context.

The overwhelming opinion on our board was that Kerridge was too good for the SANFL and deserved to be playing AFL.
When you guys came to us with the trade, the general opinion on our board was that it was a good deal - because you guys got a quality, dependable player (and person), and we didn't keep a guy who we couldn't find a spot for (which is what we normally do) - and we finally had the balls to roll the dice with a trade.

The threads were littered with concerns over Menzels dedication and his ability to actual fulfil his talent - but most agreed it was a worthwhile gamble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back