Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the hold up? What are Carlton asking for ? Could understand them not wanting Lyons. They really need to move away from fringe types and have a crack at introducing quality players, even if that means gambling say pick 28 may not turn out.

Pick 13 and a pick under 30? Adelaide trade their 2nd and a player to move their 2nd rounder earlier? 2017 2nd rounder with the pick 13?

Are Carlton looking for something to satisfy gws for Pickett and marchbank. Would pick 13 and a second from Adelaide do that ?
Close I think?
Can you get to Etihad stadium on Thursday please

Genuine question for Crows fans.
If the shoe was on the other foot and it was Sloane asking for out with 3 years left to run on his contract, would you accept pick 13 and a fringe player for him? Sloane is a quality player as is Gibbs, and I'm sure there is no way you would even contemplate such a trade. You have to pay a high price to pry away quality players who are contracted from other clubs. You understand our position of not wanting to let go of a contracted player easily and we understand yours of wanting to entice an elite SA guy back to your club to boost your premiership hopes next year. All the talk of Carlton being unfair and unreasonable is a joke. Any club about to lose it's best or second best player would do the same thing. GC are playing hardball with O'Meara (and he is uncontracted) and everyone says that is smart yet when Carlton holds it's ground re: Gibbs, we are being unreasonable. I genuinely don't understand why there seems to be such animosity on both club boards over this one. Both clubs are playing the situation that best serves them and you can't really blame either team for that.

Lyons is obviously not highly rated at the Crows otherwise you would not be willing to part with him (and would have offered him a better contract) and clearly see Gibbs as giving you a better chance at achieving a premiership. Those are the facts otherwise you would not be chasing Gibbs and making him your priority this trade period.

These two teams have notoriously been pretty civil with the trading between each other and I expect a deal to get done late, however it will be more than 13 + Lyons, but on the same token it won't include a player like McGovern or Cameron. The media stuff about the two clubs not talking is clearly a media build up.

Contested % only just beats Jimmy Toumpas'

Bryce Gibbs Name Nathan Jones
Carlton Blues Team Melbourne Demons
Midfield Position Midfield
209 Career Games 223
Glenelg Origin Dandenong Stingrays
March 15, 1989 Date of Birth January 20, 1988
27yr 7mth Age 28yr 8mth
188cm Height 180cm
86kg Weight 88kg
2006 National Draft Last Drafted In 2005 National Draft
Round 1, Pick #1 Last Draft Position Round 1, Pick #12
Carlton Blues Last Drafted By Melbourne Demons
2016 Stats for Season 2016
22 Games 22
14.6 Kicks Per Game 13.1
12.3 Handballs Per Game 15.0
26.8 Disposals Per Game 28.0
Marks Per Game 2.6
0.8 Goals Per Game 0.4
0.6 Behinds Per Game 0.5
5.2 Tackles Per Game 5.4
Hitouts Per Game 0
4.5 Inside 50s Per Game 4.4
0.7 Goal Assists Per Game 0.6
1.0 Frees For Per Game 1.0
0.9 Frees Against Per Game 1.4
9.6 Contested Possessions Per Game 10.4
Uncontested Possessions Per Game 16.9

You're right...can't win contested ball.

What's the hold up? What are Carlton asking for ? Could understand them not wanting Lyons. They really need to move away from fringe types and have a crack at introducing quality players, even if that means gambling say pick 28 may not turn out.

Pick 13 and a pick under 30? Adelaide trade their 2nd and a player to move their 2nd rounder earlier? 2017 2nd rounder with the pick 13?

Are Carlton looking for something to satisfy gws for Pickett and marchbank. Would pick 13 and a second from Adelaide do that ?
We don't have a 2nd round pick this year, and we need to keep our picks next year for Tyson Edward's son. We get him for 13 + some fluff or not at all. Not too fussed either way

For Bryce to have more BnF's he would've had to be better than Judd. Not exactly an easy feat...
For Bryce to have more BnF's he would've had to be better than Judd. Not exactly an easy feat...

Won them all since Judd'a retirement then?

A lot of second place BF finishes?

Your comparison to Tom Mitchell's is some what off the mark , if Tom had the kicking and distribution skills of Gibbs he too would be elite.
In a different team environment Gibbs skill will shine.
Even so , Tom Mitchell was traded at pick 14 and he was uncontracted
So how can Bryce Gibbs value be pick 13 ?

If he had those skills; he would be elite - but he isn't, same as Gibbs.

How can I value them the same?

What's the age difference?
One is about to enter his prime, one isn't.

You realise trade value isn't about who is currently the better player but what value clubs think they have for the remainder of their career. Otherwise Sam Mitchell would have fetched a 1st rounder.
....a players value to the team they may join is essentially whatever they are willing to pay for him based on what they bring to the team - if the player is contracted they will need to make sacrifices to get the deal done. Ie If, as reported, the Crows desperately need an experienced, highly skilled mid who can finish off (the sportscar) then come to the party!

....a players value to the team they may join is essentially whatever they are willing to pay for him based on what they bring to the team - if the player is contracted they will need to make sacrifices to get the deal done. Ie If, as reported, the Crows desperately need an experienced, highly skilled mid who can finish off (the sportscar) then come to the party!
We need quality midfielders, but unlike has been poorly reported, we are not desperate to sell the farm.

There are other options too...

I reckon SOS wants to take pick 5 to the Draft and use 13 for the GWS combination.

Gibbs fits a massive need for us - but hopefully we aren't stupid enough to sell the farm as a result.

Decisions made in desperation generally aren't good ones - and we can't afford to set the expectation that we can be shafted.

I still think 13 is around the mark; slightly over; again, in the context of the ****ed up trade market the AFL has cultivated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the shoe was on the other foot and it was Sloane asking for out with 3 years left to run on his contract, would you accept pick 13 and a fringe player for him? Sloane is a quality player as is Gibbs, and I'm sure there is no way you would even contemplate such a trade. You have to pay a high price to pry away quality players who are contracted from other clubs. You understand our position of not wanting to let go of a contracted player easily and we understand yours of wanting to entice an elite SA guy back to your club to boost your premiership hopes next year. All the talk of Carlton being unfair and unreasonable is a joke. Any club about to lose it's best or second best player would do the same thing. GC are playing hardball with O'Meara (and he is uncontracted) and everyone says that is smart yet when Carlton holds it's ground re: Gibbs, we are being unreasonable. I genuinely don't understand why there seems to be such animosity on both club boards over this one. Both clubs are playing the situation that best serves them and you can't really blame either team for that.

Lyons is obviously not highly rated at the Crows otherwise you would not be willing to part with him (and would have offered him a better contract) and clearly see Gibbs as giving you a better chance at achieving a premiership. Those are the facts otherwise you would not be chasing Gibbs and making him your priority this trade period.

These two teams have notoriously been pretty civil with the trading between each other and I expect a deal to get done late, however it will be more than 13 + Lyons, but on the same token it won't include a player like McGovern or Cameron. The media stuff about the two clubs not talking is clearly a media build up.
Mate we gave Dangerfield away for less , Gunston for a 2nd rounder

Sloane is younger and we are in our supposed window . Sloane is our best mid by about 5 lengths these days and also another spiritual leader (almost as important as tex in this regard ) so comparing apples and oranges there

Do Carlton fans rate Gibbs the best or 2nd best player at the club ?? Every time I go watch crows play Carlton in Melb the carlton fans spend most of the day getting stuck into Gibbs - maybe he just has an off day against us each year but I doubt it

Pick 13 alone won't land Pickett and Caleb
Pick 13 is just enough for one of the two but not both think Second Rd will be involved
Pickett is not worth a 1st rounder anymore

There are queries on professionalism and injury history now

He'd be a pick 30-40 rating

Marchbank around 15-20 for mine , solid player but not blue chip . 13 should be pretty close to getting them both but you're prob right in will require just a little bit more but not a 2nd rounder necessarily

Pick 5 would be well well overs . You'd want something back from GWS for sure there

They didn't want Kerridge and couldn't sign quick enough for Menzel who we all considered to be a great talent. Why he has seemingly stagnated I don't know.

Kerridge is a stop gap for us. Needs to be cleaner and smarter with the ball.
You also got pick 28 which helped you get the GWS 5.
You picked up Wright for free as a delisted FA.
Sauce was third in line as a ruckman and when he was tradee it was considered a steak knife deal.
Betts was a FA who would of stayed if you came even close to his offer from us.

Its not like we have done you over in trades. And dont forget you came to us offering Menzel cos you knew he was a lazy prick.

Mate we gave Dangerfield away for less , Gunston for a 2nd rounder

Sloane is younger and we are in our supposed window . Sloane is our best mid by about 5 lengths these days and also another spiritual leader (almost as important as tex in this regard ) so comparing apples and oranges there

Do Carlton fans rate Gibbs the best or 2nd best player at the club ?? Every time I go watch crows play Carlton in Melb the carlton fans spend most of the day getting stuck into Gibbs - maybe he just has an off day against us each year but I doubt it
Dangerfield was in contracted, big difference. If Dangerfield had 3 years to run on his contract he would of cost 2 top 10 picks just to enter the conversation

Dangerfield was in contracted, big difference. If Dangerfield had 3 years to run on his contract he would of cost 2 top 10 picks just to enter the conversation
Of course there is a difference and that's why there is no point asking us what we would feel if it was Sloane going out and not Gibbs coming in

Completely different set of circumstances and no point comparing

Dont put Gibbs in the same conversation as Sloane. Thats just silly. Bernie Vince is more like the conversation. 1 x B&F, no AA, inside outside player with good kicking skills.
Vince went for a 2nd rounder while in contract.

With regards to Lyons, obviously he is thought of otherwise he wouldnt have played all year and done well. Reality is we can cover him with players like CEY, Menzel, Grigg, Knight etc.

Dont put Gibbs in the same conversation as Sloane. Thats just silly.

You're right. Gibbs can be useless at times but when he's on he's better than Sloane.

With regards to Lyons, obviously he is thought of otherwise he wouldnt have played all year and done well.

Doesn't explain the low offer you lot made him or why you offered him (and Pick 13) to Carlton for Gibbs.

Reality is we can cover him with players like CEY, Menzel, Grigg, Knight etc.

Aren't CEY and Grigg considered trade bait? And Menzel has done jack shit since coming back. How is he cover for Lyons?

Now that I'm done throwing grenades, seriously, what is with the hold up for this trade? Carlton have every right to seek what they want for a contracted, crucial player, and the Crows do have enough to make a trade happen. Both clubs are also known as fair negotiators. What the **** is taking so long?

Pickett is not worth a 1st rounder anymore

There are queries on professionalism and injury history now

He'd be a pick 30-40 rating

Marchbank around 15-20 for mine , solid player but not blue chip . 13 should be pretty close to getting them both but you're prob right in will require just a little bit more but not a 2nd rounder necessarily

Pick 5 would be well well overs . You'd want something back from GWS for sure there

If Blues get both for 13 then will jump for joy

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back