Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree - except on Lyons; I'm a huge fan, and have been for a few years - he might not suit your needs, but he's a good footballer. According to Champion Data, he's actually better than good - and almost good enough to be a straight swap with Gibbs (based on their measures - and the respective ages); but I'm not going that far ;)

I think it'll get done.

I think 13 is fair value; and a lot more valuable for you, than Gibbs is. I wouldn't be surprised if a Kelly/Dear/Grigg type was involved as a sweetener. Kelly would fit a need, and has proven he's a decent player, Grigg can't seem to get a game here so a fresh start would do him good; Dear actually looks quite good, a lot of potential, could turn out to be a good player.

But that will be the bonus - 13 will be the core of the deal, the other stuff will be minor (it's not going to be McGovern or Cameron - that's crazy talk).

Both Clubs have a good history of trading - we're fortunate that Jacobs developed as he did, but we paid reasonable value at the time. Trades last year look well in your favour, but, Again, the value was about right.

I'd be surprised if a deal wasn't done.

I also know a bit about Bolton (I've mentioned this on your board); he is massive on club culture, left to right and top to bottom - if Gibbs doesn't want to be there (and I know it's family reasons - but we don't know how intense the desire is); I would be surprised if Bolton would keep him there and let #13 slip away.

He was a gun until he had an injury prone year and you guys let him go cheap?

I like Lyon also. Would fit well at Carlton I believe. Has inside (we need this) and outside ability, good skills and a good finisher ...but I won't take the bait with the other comment. I'd love to see him at the Blues. If 13 and Lyon is being baulked at by the Crows, I guess the Blues would either offer their 45 or 58 OR use pick 25 (likely with another Crows player thrown in). McGovern or Cameron would be great if not Lyon but I can't see this happening personally. Give us two of Lyon, McGovern, Cameron or a Crouch and I think we'd give you all three of those picks!

Your logic was a good player doesn't get more productive/better playing in a better team.

Cmon champ.

We're talking about Gibbs, are we not? He's a midfielder, not a forward, it's very different. But you do know this. Plus Eddie had been pretty good anyway, had a bad year with injury, but prior to that was one of the best small forwards anyway. Just cashing in on our high scoring style and pretty strong forward line.

Wouldn't swap for either Crouch straight up. Matt is an inside ball winner that is about the fastest accumulator per minute in the entire league. Brad's been injured but is a true inside/outside type with very good pace when up and going. Both have many years ahead of them and adding Bryce at the expense of either leaves us no better off. They're the 2 best extractors in our side, losing either to add outside power would be counterproductive. I can understand why Brad isn't rated externally, most have seen little and forgotten his pre-injury output.

If Brad Crouch becomes the player you think he will be then you don't need Gibbs.

Lyons a straight swap for Gibbs, almost,:) Dean Gore then is a straight swap for Dangerfield almost :straining: The real man running the Crows Mark Riccuito didnt even mention Lyons as part of his midfield setup for the future, praised the Crouch boys and Wigg and said the Crows need more quality mids but said nothing about Lyons who they seem happy to shop around. Lyons was woeful in the last final and couldnt get near the ball so lets get real about his worth. He is a steak knife and thats all he is, so all the Crows fans who keep selling Lyons as some quality unit need to revisit that last final he played and stop making out he is some quality merchandise that makes the Gibbs deal complete.
Same with Ellis-Yolmen and all those other Crows SANFL hackers whose names get mentioned.

Our last delisted SANFL hacker finished 5th in your b&f Vlad old son. Maybe remove the emotion from your posts and you'll make more sense.

Honestly, I wouldn't be unhappy if the deal was two firsts for Gibbs and your second THIS year (wouldn't be happy either, though). Allows us to still get a very good prospect that Ogilvie rates in what is considered a deep draft. Or it allows us to chase Rockliff.

Would not accept anything more that you ask of us, though.

I would be livid. Not worth two first rounders regardless of getting picks back.

Considering Brad Crouch's 2016 season i would do that trade.

You'd trade a 22 yo pick 3, who in his first year was a top 15 midfielder for half of it?

And you'd do that after an injury interrupted year, when his value is lowest?

People are still living in the dark ages when determining a players value.

Eg Just because Tom Mitchell went for pick 14, does not mean Gibbs is only worth pick 13.

Firstly, i think most people believe Mitchell went for unders.

Secondly, you have to factor in a players worth TO THE TEAMS INVOLVED IN THE TRADE...not just their pure value.

Sydney are in a different situation to Carlton...they have a tighish salary cap and they basically said their value of Tom Mitchell is diminished due to the fact they have a star studded midfield...with Heeney & Mills to pick up the slack in the years to come. Therefore, they could afford to lose Mitchell.

Carlton on the other hand, has a terrible midfield, with Gibbs being 1 of our 3 good mids (Gibbs, Murphy, Cripps). We are extremely shallow in this area, hence losing Gibbs would be a MASIVE blow for us. Therefore, Gibbs' worth is extremely high FOR CARLTON and much more than pick 13.
Sure, we might be willing to accept it if we had a tight salary cap and had 6 midfield guns anyway to cover him like Sydney do, but the fact is we don't.

Who would #13 get you?

Is Gibbs going to be worth more for 3 years, than a potential 10 year gun player would be?

Im praying this is the deal that gets done. Picturing our midfield next year minus gibbs is quite daunting . Hes going to make adelaide so much better. This thread is gold btw
Hopefully the trade falls somewhere between 13 & 13 + 2017 first rounder. That way we can finally be done with this thread...

And move on to the post trade thread where no doubt both sets of supporters will feel hard done by and vent accordingly. Cant wait :)

You'd trade a 22 yo pick 3, who in his first year was a top 15 midfielder for half of it?

And you'd do that after an injury interrupted year, when his value is lowest?
Looking at the Crows list from the outside you have to go hard at the next 2 years while your forward line is so good.
Gibbs is hitting his peak as a footballer this year was clearly his best ever season in a team where he had little help in the midfield.
Brad Crouch only seemed to dominate matches against weak teams this year like Essendon.
If you are backing Crouch to improve significantly on 2016 then you don't need to pay a high price for Gibbs and can go get a much cheaper Rockliff.

Looking at the Crows list from the outside you have to go hard at the next 2 years while your forward line is so good.
Gibbs is hitting his peak as a footballer this year was clearly his best ever season in a team where he had little help in the midfield.
Brad Crouch only seemed to dominate matches against weak teams this year like Essendon.
If you are backing Crouch to improve significantly on 2016 then you don't need to pay a high price for Gibbs and can go get a much cheaper Rockliff.

We should be going after Rocky regardless.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our last delisted SANFL hacker finished 5th in your b&f Vlad old son. Maybe remove the emotion from your posts and you'll make more sense.

Ed Curnow came 5th in the B and F old son...if you are going to be a smart ar$e you need to get it right:D but I know what you are saying and yes Matt Wright(equal 6th with Sam Rowe) was a handy player but our B&F isnt exactly a accurate guide on performance. Kruezer was in the top ten and got pantsed in many a game where his opponent was BOG so placings in our B and F are nothing to get excited about.

Last edited:
What is the latest talk on the marchbank trade? Been all quiet for days. Surely the gibbs deal is less about 13 & more about keeping 5

Pick 5 would likely net you a choice between at least 2 of SPS, Brodie or Taranto

I know id rather trade gibbs get marchbank & 1 of SPS/brodie/taranto & who knows what you can do with mid range picks thrown in by crows or GWS...

id just get on with it cos i dont think keeping gibbs could possibly end in a scenario better than that

That's Treloaresque

Nah. #7 with another 1st from a bottom 8 side that ended up being another #7 with a second coming back vs #13 and another first from a flag contender, likely to be #16+ with a second rounder 9 spots later coming back.

A pick in the top 10 and 20 or pick 13 and 2017 1st rounder at least.
Go Baggers
If that is your clubs valuation, then you get to keep him.

Some how I doubt it though...

What is the latest talk on the marchbank trade? Been all quiet for days. Surely the gibbs deal is less about 13 & more about keeping 5

Pick 5 would likely net you a choice between at least 2 of SPS, Brodie or Taranto

I know id rather trade gibbs get marchbank & 1 of SPS/brodie/taranto & who knows what you can do with mid range picks thrown in by crows or GWS...

id just get on with it cos i dont think keeping gibbs could possibly end in a scenario better than that

I think we should play chicken with the blues and see what happens with a few minutes to go

As SOS and McKay have said, we will only accept a deal that benefits us and makes us a better team.

Gibbs for pick 13 does not improve us...by losing one of our only good mids for a pick in the teens we're likely to get worse.

Hence the rumours are we are asking for pick 13 and someone better than Lyons...like a Crouch, McGovern, Cameron.
While i admit that seems fanciful and would be overs for Carlton, it reflects Gibbs' importance to OUR team.

What about Gibbs for one of the Crouch brothers straight swap? (assuming they agree to join Carlton)
The crouch boys are going nowhere.

We wouldn't even straight swap them for Gibbs.

If Brad Crouch becomes the player you think he will be then you don't need Gibbs.

Each stoppage group needs one of them in it. We still need better mids overall to compete with the best groups in the comp. Gibbs would be a good second or 3rd possession player where he can use his leg weapon. But that doesn't mean we need to overpay. Our midfield had the most common set ups last year, we don't roll a lot of players through there. That needs to change this year, but you're right, if it doesn't we won't need him because we'll go nowhere again. Swapping him for Thommo won't be nearly enough.

I think we should play chicken with the blues and see what happens with a few minutes to go
Fine with Blues supporters, Gibbs gets to play 3 more seasons with us and you will be admiring Jarryd Lyons, Cam Ellis-Yolmen and other nondescript Crows mids being carved up by their quality opposition. We will probably have Rory Sloane in Navy Blue to play along side Nat Fyfe by then.:thumbsupemoji:..Gibbs will be in the Northern Blues kicking the dew of the grass and we can trade him back to you...Pick 50 plus should get it done..:grin:

Fine with Blues supporters, Gibbs gets to play 3 more seasons with us and you will be admiring Jarryd Lyons, Cam Ellis-Yolmen and other nondescript Crows mids being carved up by their quality opposition. We will probably have Rory Sloane in Navy Blue to play along side Nat Fyfe by then.:thumbsupemoji:..Gibbs will be in the Northern Blues kicking the dew of the grass and we can trade him back to you...Pick 50 plus should get it done..:grin:
Bye Bye Caleb Marchbank, Jarrod Pickett and sundry other GWS players...or Pick 5 for them and enjoy whoever you pick up in the 2nd round....you do still have your 2nd round pick??

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back