Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gibbs is a much better player than Tom Mitchell you have to agree?

I would bet you would prefer Gibbs in Crows colours than Mitchell

No one would agree with that.

Gibbs might have a better 17 than Mitchell (MIGHT) but Mitchell has the better career ahead of him.

Tough situation playing out like it should.

Just not worth it for both sides as illustrated by both sets of fans. No side being unrealistic here.

Adelaide should have thought this through along with Gibbs before it started. Adelaide FC in particularly hold responsibility...stay the **** away because it is obvious its a hard deal. Maybe Adelaide will win this trade but one thing is for certain, Carlton will pay back the favour at some point for a Victorian player.

The trick is to act even handedly for win win. There is no win win for Carlton really based on what position Adelaide are in. Adelaide FC have gone down a path of stupidity.

you would not be calling it a path of stupidity if the situation was reserved.

Pick 13 is a great deal for Carlton; you should be stoked that you can get it for Gibbs, with his one B&F and zero AA honors.

Precedent would involve looking at the Tom Mitchell deal, or the Dangerfield deal, or the Treloar deal; all players with significantly more value than Gibbs - yet you're expecting to receive more for him.

Good luck.

I'd take Mitchell ahead of Gibbs easily.
Mitchell (Tom) is an elite ball winner with average disposals
Gibbs is an OK ball winner with good disposals.
Mitchell is also like 5 years younger...

Obviously you guys don't watch Gibbs play. He would easily be the Crows 2nd best mid, look at all the stats!!

I agree he is easily worth just pick 13, maybe less, IF he was coming out of contract. The treloar, danger and Mitchell scenarios are no where near comparable, they were all out of contract and could walk for nothing!!

Tom 'the butcher' Mitchell is definitely behind Gibbs, people don't realise that if Crows get Gibbs he can be the difference in making the top 4. Disposal and decision making is a million times better than Mitchell.

Carlton have every right to play hardball and I assume you would want your club to do the same if in our situation. We are not being unreasonable as he is in our top 3 players, losing him would send us backwards and why can't people realise he Is contracted for 3 MORE YEARS!! Adelaide and Gibbs management have created this mess with the way they announced it. SOS doing everything expected of him, I think most clubs would do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obviously you guys don't watch Gibbs play. He would easily be the Crows 2nd best mid, look at all the stats!!

I agree he is easily worth just pick 13, maybe less, IF he was coming out of contract. The treloar, danger and Mitchell scenarios are no where near comparable, they were all out of contract and could walk for nothing!!

Tom 'the butcher' Mitchell is definitely behind Gibbs, people don't realise that if Crows get Gibbs he can be the difference in making the top 4. Disposal and decision making is a million times better than Mitchell.

Carlton have every right to play hardball and I assume you would want your club to do the same if in our situation. We are not being unreasonable as he is in our top 3 players, losing him would send us backwards and why can't people realise he Is contracted for 3 MORE YEARS!! Adelaide and Gibbs management have created this mess with the way they announced it. SOS doing everything expected of him, I think most clubs would do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure Tom Mitchell can be inconsistent with his kicking, but he acknowledges his weakness and covers it up with a high handball:kick ratio, which allows him to dispose the ball from contests to a skillful midfielder.

Gibbs is just an all around inconsistent footballer. He is incompetent at dealing with tags with him faltering everytime he receives any degree of attention.

Gibbs has also had the luxury of playing 100% midfield, whereas Mitchell has tagged, played half forward, played outside midfield to accomodate other players. Even then, his stats are still very cmparable to Gibbs.

Nonetheless, pick 14 was unders for Mitchell, so pick 13+2nd round pick is right for Gibbs.

Cant see that happening. Adelaide is too far down the road now withe gibbs
If you want us to sell the farm, we walk away as there are other options.

We were approached, not the other way around, so it's not like we have to guarantee a trade.

Gibbs is a better player than mitchell now. But if you had to pick between the 2 mitchell wins cos you will get much more out of him in the long run.

I doubt the carlton list mgt team are as emotionally involved as some of the posts on here. Theres no payback being planned, They might be displeased with how it was announced but that doesnt effect trading this is business, at some point inevitably roles will be reversed & bridges arent burn over one player.

The only thing carlton have to consider is what value will they get out of gibbs for the next 3 years if he doesnt want to be there & will they just be back at the trade table next year where he will be another year older & worth considerably less.

Its not like he has to play well for another contract hes got 3 years then that might be it. There are risks for carlton to walk away now & keep him, its never as simple as whats his value

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So most would go Mitchell over Gibbs - no surprise.

Any comparable trades over the last couple of years?

You must seriously underrate Pendelbury! I'd pay a lot more that that. Even at his age

Dangerfield was barely worth that.

The trade market is ****ed these days - unless they redress it, Clubs have accepted the fact they generally get screwed.

No you're not, you're making ridiculous shit up.

Brad Crouch, a young player with a higher ceiling than Gibbs, and his entire career in front of him, who has more value than Gibbs, AND a first rounder, for Gibbs??

You're absolutely kidding yourself.

Pick 13 is a great deal for Carlton; you should be stoked that you can get it for Gibbs, with his one B&F and zero AA honors.

Precedent would involve looking at the Tom Mitchell deal, or the Dangerfield deal, or the Treloar deal; all players with significantly more value than Gibbs - yet you're expecting to receive more for him.

Good luck.

Precedent?... With the AFL? They make it up as they go along. Anyway your examples: Dangerfield wasn't contracted so could virtually walk. (Geelong dealt with it more favourably than they could have but I would say the system shafted the Crows there). I believe Mitchell will become a very good player but 8th in the BnF in his breakout year as a midfielder hardly puts him on Gibbs level. Pretty sure Treloar went for 2 first rounders!
Not sure where you are going with the BnF argument. Gibbs has been consistently up there in the BnF from memory Judd, Murphy and co to contend with and having played a fair chunk of his early days thrown around the back flank, up front and as a tagger also. How many Carlton (or similarly low placed clubs) midfielders get a gig in the All Australian team. All those names you mentioned had pretty good seasons but only one made the All Aust team. I can honestly say there are bigger Gibbs fans than me but I reckon he brings the current Crows team plenty and pick 13 needs a good player or an early 2nd rounder attached. As a South Australian myself, I see plenty of the Crows and a lot has been expected of Brad Crouch and he hasn't delivered other than a few good games (in a winning team) in the second half of the year. He was basically on trial until he hit that patch and there was talk of him being discarded until then. High ceiling sure, I like the way he plays but more value than Gibbs??. Whose the one kidding themself. We all want the best deal for our club but look at this somewhat objectively.

Precedent?... With the AFL? They make it up as they go along. Anyway your examples: Dangerfield wasn't contracted so could virtually walk. (Geelong dealt with it more favourably than they could have but I would say the system shafted the Crows there). I believe Mitchell will become a very good player but 8th in the BnF in his breakout year as a midfielder hardly puts him on Gibbs level. Pretty sure Treloar went for 2 first rounders!
Not sure where you are going with the BnF argument. Gibbs has been consistently up there in the BnF from memory Judd, Murphy and co to contend with and having played a fair chunk of his early days thrown around the back flank, up front and as a tagger also. How many Carlton (or similarly low placed clubs) midfielders get a gig in the All Australian team. All those names you mentioned had pretty good seasons but only one made the All Aust team. I can honestly say there are bigger Gibbs fans than me but I reckon he brings the current Crows team plenty and pick 13 needs a good player or an early 2nd rounder attached. As a South Australian myself, I see plenty of the Crows and a lot has been expected of Brad Crouch and he hasn't delivered other than a few good games (in a winning team) in the second half of the year. He was basically on trial until he hit that patch and there was talk of him being discarded until then. High ceiling sure, I like the way he plays but more value than Gibbs??. Whose the one kidding themself. We all want the best deal for our club but look at this somewhat objectively.

And Treloar is younger and better (and I'm pretty sure something else went with him) - so he's worth a hell of a lot more than Gibbs.

Mitchell - 8th in the BF of has grand final playing club, in his break out year, in one of the best midfields in the league; with most of his career ahead of him. Worth more than Gibbs.

Crouch was runner up in the Rising Star in his debut year - playing 14 odd games, and being ranked a top 15 midfielder in the league over that period.

He was never 'on trial' - he was coming back from a serious injury, and there was NEVER even a muttering of 'discarding' him.

You're talking shit.

Only a Carlton supporter would say they'd take Gibbs over Tom Mitchell.
Who is the better player as we speak? Who offers the Crows the best fit during their "window".
It's like saying you would take a 4WD over a sportscar. The Crows need the sportscar while Carlton probably need the 4WD. That's where the value comparisons get skewed!

And Treloar is younger and better (and I'm pretty sure something else went with him) - so he's worth a hell of a lot more than Gibbs.

Mitchell - 8th in the BF of has grand final playing club, in his break out year, in one of the best midfields in the league; with most of his career ahead of him. Worth more than Gibbs.

Crouch was runner up in the Rising Star in his debut year - playing 14 odd games, and being ranked a top 15 midfielder in the league over that period.

He was never 'on trial' - he was coming back from a serious injury, and there was NEVER even a muttering of 'discarding' him.

You're talking shit.
Are you an adult?

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Bryce Gibbs [traded to Adelaide] - (cont. in Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back