Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure even a Sydney fan is capable of working out 9*1.1m > 5*1.1m ? Especially if 5 would have brought you to a believable retirement age. Crooked.

Irrelevant to claims about what's affordable. The claim was a massive contract "blew others out of the water" but clearly other clubs are capable of offering just as much per year. And since the salary cap is per year, it only makes sense to discuss contract sizes per year.

And furthermore, any club could equally try the NHL style super-long contract too if they wanted. If they'd thought of it first.

Huge overs for a player on the decline. I think this will bite Sydney hard in a couple of years, maybe even as early as next year.
Boo Hoo! Get over it you flogs! None of you know how the Swans manage their list financially. You've all got your theories, based on bias and jealousy, but fair dinkum, if the AFL ok it, COLA or no COLA, it's fine and legal, :thumbsu: and you'll all just have to move on!! PS. Magpie fans, Collingwood will always be less popular than the Swans with non Magpie fans, you know, we all know it! :D Move on!!!!

1001_BuddyForBloods-Update.jpg

Turning 27 in January and then 9 years?

Even the premise of the deal is ridiculous.

Would anyone honestly believe Buddy will even play until he's 36 let alone produce any significant output until then?

But the premise is the sign of a club, and a league that is exploiting an obvious unfair leg-up to no end. It's a free for all, but only for one club.

Money won't be the issue for hawks but the length will. Plus I'm
Sure buddy can work out that per year, the money is about the same as hawks offer and yet he is still exploring free agency . This tells me , he no longer has a desire to be at hawthorn

Ah I see, so Sydney Swans give scholarships to anyone that looks good in the academy and all the rest of the duds are the ones the other 17 teams have access to? Sounds fair to me :rolleyes:

No. The scholarship system is over now. Perris one of the last guys left. It's how Witts, Bird, Moller and Walker were taken. I wish people would learn what they were mouthing off about before they mouthed off.

How, when even Paul Roos gets his hand slapped for daring to talk to one of your academy players?

And so you are saying Collingwoods gate receipts dont help the whole competition then? You think they keep every cent for themselves?
Because it will give talented players a place to go increasing competition, playing standards, player numbers. Please don't pretend you know anything about NSW footy.

It will benefit the whole comp because eventually the academy will be no longer needed and teams will have another pool of talent to draw from.

They would if they could. I have not mentioned collingwood once, that was only you.

Paul Roos got his hand slapped for potentially breaking the Swans IP. Perris was just the point considering he has targeted some of our coaching staff.

The other thing in all this is the behaviour of Franklin and his management.

The 9 year deal is there to stymie Hawks from matching the offer - in doing so he has cut his old club adrift and totally weakened any compensation they could get from the deal. Its a dog act and another example of players being poorly advised by their managers. Hawk fans have every right to despise Franklin after this and I'm sure Buddy wouldn't want it to have ended this way unless he is more selfish than first thought.

Yep completely bought that buddy may have had some desire fir hawthorn to reap some benefit by knowing they could match Sydney's deal and get some compensation for him in terms of trades etc, but when the nine year deal came out you knew that he did not give a shit about hawthorn, And the impact his departure would have on clubs trade position.

This alone will make him dead to most hawks supporters and will make him become the symbol of angst that fans will have against the afl, cola and Sydney .

Really wonder if Clarko can continue being represented by Pickering, there are massive conflicts for agents representing players and coaches at the same club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah I see, so Sydney Swans give scholarships to anyone that looks good in the academy and all the rest of the duds are the ones the other 17 teams have access to? Sounds fair to me :rolleyes:

T. Walker of adelaide was a scholarship player. same system......most clubs ignored it for the draft. It was to promote AFL in the NSW region and start getting more kids drafted. Getting recruiters watching games in NSW.

Except most clubs could not be F8%#. your clubs choice for not utilising the system made available to everyone.

The swans academy is entirely different. We are coaching kids in NSW, giving back to the community to get kids drafted.

Perris was selected though, under the NSW scholarship scheme a few years ago. The argument has nothing to do with taking players from the swans academy but taking a scholarship player.

you should do your research.

So there werent really over 100 players with 3rd party deals at the same time as Judd? I take it Judd lied when he said that he had 3rd party deals when he was with the WCE.

100 players had deals, though Judd's made up about 30% of the total value of all deals! So, Judd's deal was about 50 times as big as the average!

BTW, I know other players have 3rd party deals, I know other players still get some 3rd party deals through. I was just taking the piss out of your victim mentality in regards to Judd's recent deal not being approved, when for years he had the one deal that was out of step with the competition, with less lucrative deals being rejected in the following years.

He
10m over 9 years is 1.1m a year, less per year than GWS said they were offering and according to Shane Crawford, also less than Hawthorn were offering.

Hes not going to play 9 years tho is he? You're essentially paying about 2mil per year of good footy. You're just spreading it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it will give talented players a place to go increasing competition, playing standards, player numbers. Please don't pretend you know anything about NSW footy.

It will benefit the whole comp because eventually the academy will be no longer needed and teams will have another pool of talent to draw from.

They would if they could. I have not mentioned collingwood once, that was only you.

Paul Roos got his hand slapped for potentially breaking the Swans IP. Perris was just the point considering he has targeted some of our coaching staff.

Then perhaps also please dont pretend like COLA or your academy has given you any edge now or in the past over other teams.

He

Hes not going to play 9 years tho is he? You're essentially pay about 2mil per year of good footy. You're just spreading it out.

Which is a form of cap management, gambling that we get 6, maybe 7 years from him, betting on the continued rise of the salary cap while also handing a guy a post-retirement income stream as an inducement. Anyone could try it.

Hawthorn should match since they can this year, and given Buddy doesn't want to be at Hawthorn any more, they can then trade Buddy to Sydney for 14 plus Mumford anyway. For all we know that's what's been arranged by that sly Mr Pickering.

He

Hes not going to play 9 years tho is he? You're essentially pay about 2mil per year of good footy. You're just spreading it out.

The cunning plan of Sydney Manchester United.

Claim it's 9 years, spreading the pay lower on average per year.

Reality: doesn't play 9 years (duh), works out to be way more per year in the long run once the contract is paid out.

Rinse and repeat with other players in the future.

This is Salary Cap rorting if there ever was one. If the so called "investigation" does nothing, then surely the rest of the competition won't just step back, cop an unfair double standard, and just let the Manchester United of the AFL take form - will it?

Yep completely bought that buddy may have had some desire fir hawthorn to reap some benefit by knowing they could match Sydney's deal and get some compensation for him in terms of trades etc, but when the nine year deal came out you knew that he did not give a shit about hawthorn, And the impact his departure would have on clubs trade position.

This alone will make him dead to most hawks supporters and will make him become the symbol of angst that fans will have against the afl, cola and Sydney .

Really wonder if Clarko can continue being represented by Pickering, there are massive conflicts for agents representing players and coaches at the same club.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's completely shit on the club. Negotiated with Sydney a year ago after the GF loss and lied about it for 12 months. Remember early this year when he "shocked" the Hawks by suddenly putting off contract talks? Well he'd already been dealing with Sydney for months.

And he's gone with a deal that is specifically and cynically structured to ensure it cannot be matched by Hawthorn and thus they have no hope of forcing a trade and getting decent compensation.

It's a huge "**** you" to Hawthorn. Huge. Wonder if there was something more to it. It almost seems malicious.

Which is a form of cap management, betting on the continued rise of the salary cap while also handing a guy a post-retirement income stream as an inducement. Anyone could try it.

Hawthorn should match since they can this year, and given Buddy doesn't want to be at Hawthorn any more, they can then trade Buddy to Sydney for 14 plus Mumford anyway. For all we know that's what's been arranged by that sly Mr Pickering.
Ahh yes but Ireland said the swans won't trade for buddy if hawks match. We all know they still would trade but is is big risk for the hawks, if we said na don't want him and they get stuck with a 9 year deal

You obviously didn't listen all to well did you?

"Equal playing field" in its purest form is the salary cap, the fixture and the draft". If any one of these is not adhered to, the competition is compromised. This is what Ed has been banging on about since 2002.

Just for the record, considering it is a 23 round season, we are more than entitled to play 11 HOME games at the MCG. That is our entitlement just like any other club to play 11 HOME games.

How's Simonds Stadium going by the way?

Kardinia Park is going well only problem is we only play 7 HOME games there

What 3rd party deal salary cap? If you mean the extra allowance for promotions etc then yes each club has this but 3rd party deals now have to ticked off by the AFL and have nothing to do with the salary cap.

Each club has a 3rd party deal salary allowance. IT IS NOT PART OF THE SALARY CAP. from memory it is 600k over the whole squad per year, club sponsors can pay players. Judds deal was excluded from this 600k sponsorship allowance, so carlton could get club sponsers to pay more for the other players in the squad.

What a load of shit. How are we supposed to compete in Sydney when the AFL keep propping up the Swans?

Massive issue for you and the AFL. The deal was not done with the AFL's blessings. Would have been some interesting conference calls today.

Then perhaps also please dont pretend like COLA or your academy has given you any edge now or in the past over other teams.
Me? I have never posted with you before.
Academy has given us **** all so far.

COLA needs to be better managed too. Brisbane and Gold Coast should also have it as teams in non traditional football markets. It should be far less than it currently is and should be weighted to the bottom 3/4 of the list.

It should be reviewed and managed for all clubs. If you would really like equity then a payment for all players out of state.

Of course the comp is not about equity, our players have more troubling getting 3rd party deals for instance, compared to out melb counterparts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back