Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, the AFL has said it will investigate the contract. Has the smell of Tippett MKII already but could be worse.

In the statement afl said that they investigate EVERY free agent deal. Do you think the swans would try pull a dodgy in the biggest deal in history of the game for the biggest
And high profile player in the game and expect to get away with it.

The tin foil hats can stay in the cupboard for the time being

Can't see any swans supporters happy with a 9 year deal. Unless it is front loaded for 5 or 6 years. Could backfire big time.
Will be missed but Hawks played well without him recently. Of course won't receive compo for his real worth.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

When you back end a contract of this length how are things like future inflation rates that are likely to drive up the salary cap going to be taken into account. In 9 years time a million $$ a year could be a standard contract for the top 10 players at each club the way things are headed.

Can't see any swans supporters happy with a 9 year deal. Unless it is front loaded for 5 or 6 years. Could backfire big time.
Will be missed but Hawks played well without him recently. Of course won't receive compo for his real worth.

I think it's a great idea, a very educated risk. Betting on the amortisation effects of an ever-rising salary cap, making a calculated risk assessment of likely years of service, and de facto offering a guy money into his retirement as an extra inducement.

As has been posted on our board, we're under the assumption it would be loaded towards the middle of the deal, when the likes of Goodes, O'Keefe and Shaw retire.

I'd almost be happy enough for Sydney to have a little room if they were actually not so dependent on AFL handouts. They are a syphon on the big clubs while simultaneously screwing those same clubs through the COLA. They've taken Tippett from Adelaide, a large profitable club, and now Buddy, while sucking on the AFL teat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bvey6sxcaaabfkz.jpg
lol buddy arc rite? :p
wp wp

In the statement afl said that they investigate EVERY free agent deal. Do you think the swans would try pull a dodgy in the biggest deal in history of the game for the biggest
And high profile player in the game and expect to get away with it.

The tin foil hats can stay in the cupboard for the time being

When was the last time the AFL issued a statement about a player offer? A 9 year deal is going to be quite complex and there can be errors in how it is structured. I am not suggesting Sydney is doing anything untoward but at the same time I don't think the AFL is on your side this time.

As has been posted on our board, we're under the assumption it would be loaded towards the middle of the deal, when the likes of Goodes, O'Keefe and Shaw retire.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's completely flat or slightly front-ended. I strongly doubt the last 3 years are very big, that's where the risk lies.

When was the last time the AFL issued a statement about a player offer? A 9 year deal is going to be quite complex and there can be errors in how it is structured. I am not suggesting Sydney is doing anything untoward but at the same time I don't think the AFL is on your side this time.

Agreed, but I think they've issued a statement as this is arguably the biggest, most audacious deal in AFL history and due to the media frenzy it has subsequently created. It has no real precedent.

Totally messes us up. Swans don't need to exposure of Buddy anywhere near as much as we do.

AFL should look to veto this for the good of the league.

You guys don't need Buddy.

Cameron, Patton, + maybe Boyd.

Potentially the Carey, Brereton and Loewe of this generation, all in one lineup. Not good enough for you?

Hawks should get the #1 pick as compo considering the caliber of player and the ridiculous contract he will be on.

Will Buddy's larger salary in the later years qualify for veteran status?

Can't see how this makes any sense otherwise. It's like the Yankees giving A-Rod a ten year deal.

Madness.

Holy crapoly 9 year deal. Buddy's already showing signs of being a 2nd string forward, unable to play key forward anymore. In 2 years he won't be able to and then he has 7 more years?
Sydney are going to get burnt over this deal. Buddy finished as Hawks 6th best forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Buddy Franklin moves to Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back