Buddy Out - mental health issue, says club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Well yeah, there is a strong significant trend between socioeconomic background and suicide attempts, Partly because financial burdens and unemployment is highly stressful and may trigger mental health issues in those predisposed, whereas people of higher socioeconomic status with similar predispositions are less likely to trigger a mental health issue and therefore relatively less likely to commit suicide. It can still happen to everyone. But it's unscientific to argue that wealth is not a factor in buffering mental health issues and suicide attempts.

Re: the above question: All people seek reward. The category of people who 'would like to see their state of mind enhanced' may not necessarily be predisposed to mental health issues; counsellors would therefore rarely be in contact with this group of people. So personal experience cannot paint a full picture.

Hence you'd be forced to generalise your personal experiences to the general population in order to make a claim that 90% of drug users have underlying mental health issues. However, while it sounds like I'm arguing against your stance, I actually do agree with your mindset to treat drug users sympathetically in a positive light, which is highly conducive to effective treatment I'd say.

I like your perspective in general, so this is nitpicking to some extent... but you need to refresh yourself with what you were supposed to learn in your degree. That scenario you described is because most drug users who don't have mental health issues don't go to see drug and alcohol counsellors. For someone in your position to misunderstand such a fundamental concept of statistics like this is a little worrying IMO. Think about the population of drug users in the category of 'just for fun' and think about how many of this population do end up with you and how many of them don't.

With something like 10-15% of Australians trying an illicit drug within the past 12-24 months, one would think most of them don't end up with a counsellor.

Your claim that '90% of drug users have mental health problems' is unscientific and a poor reflection of your professional knowledge. However, I do like your general attitude, nitpicking aside.

This is another inaccurate claim. I'd suggest reintroducing yourself to the scientific literature.

I'm a very positive guy ....I'm like there always a chance someone can lead a better life and be happier but it takes work and changes to happen

No, there are many medical circumstances that can induce a seizure. One example is drug use - some psychotropic drugs, including some antidepressants. Alcohol-induced seizures. Drug withdrawal. Some types of fever. Extreme sleep deprivation. Another is extremely low blood-sugar - but you would have to be an insulin-dependent diabetic to induce that. And plenty more.

Not making any comment on Franklin here, just answering your question.

No ......my son had three before he was two years of age ......he's now 9 and hasn't had one some 18 months of age

Yes drug withdrawal and drug overuse can cause seizures, general health and immune systems can affect seizures also ..healthier you are the better off you are

Just wondering if you know the % of drug related crime?
I'm pretty sure illicit drug use is a crime, so people who don't know they have a problem, yet still revert to crime.
On topic now.
Whatever caused Buddies problem i hope it's managed quickly and he can get on with things, get happy Buddy

Our police ministers was saying its high ...

About 65-70% of people in prisons are there for drug related crimes or crimes where drugs and alcohol were a significant factor. I take young men who've got drug problems out to prisons ...the long term prisoners tell thier story with an emphasis on "I do t want to see you in here anytime soon"

I stole that idea from New Zealand actually where a similar program has been sucsessfull

Yes drugs and crime go hand in hand ....not all though

Our police ministers was saying its high ...

About 65-70% of people in prisons are there for drug related crimes or crimes where drugs and alcohol were a significant factor. I take young men who've got drug problems out to prisons ...the long term prisoners tell thier story with an emphasis on "I do t want to see you in here anytime soon"

I stole that idea from New Zealand actually where a similar program has been sucsessfull

Yes drugs and crime go hand in hand ....not all though
The point i was making is, it's not mental health that cause those crimes, it people with ****ed attidudes

Tough decade for the Swans... I reckon Bud will recover quicker than the Swans #CouldntHappenToABetterFranchise

I look at posts like these and I'm thankful to have the self awareness to not be the kind of person who takes joy in situations like this.

Not really sure what I expected to find when I opened this thread to be honest.

I look at posts like these and I'm thankful to have the self awareness to not be the kind of person who takes joy in situations like this.

This is either one of two things.

1) The rumours/innuendo are untrue, Buddy has a mental health issue like depression, anxiety, etc, which makes all the people saying "haha druggie sucked in Sydney" massive w***ers.

2) The rumours/innuendo are true, the guy has a serous drug problem that requires urgent medical attention, in which case the ppl saying "haha druggie sucked in Sydney" are massive w***ers.

To put this in perspective, it's less of a risk factor than alcohol.

Yes but it does seem as though he will need to cut back on his social lifestyle - staying up late and partying (sleep deprivation combined with alcohol and drugs) all seem to contribute. Hope the big fella can get himself right. He is still one of my favourite players. Could actually end up being beneficial to him in the long term if he reins in his social lifestyle and just focuses on playing football.

It is not a slight on Sydney but do not underestimate the stability the hawthorn footy club provided Buddy, both from within the club and his mates there. He simply does not have the same depth of relationships at Sydney after only 1.5 years.
Or you could look at it from the opposite direction and wonder why Buddy felt comfortable enough to open up about his problems to the Swans, but held it back from Hawthorn for so many years? Obviously different cultures at each club (not saying one's better than the other), but being a Swan seems to sit comfortably with him.

Or you could look at it from the opposite direction and wonder why Buddy felt comfortable enough to open up about his problems to the Swans, but held it back from Hawthorn for so many years? Obviously different cultures at each club (not saying one's better than the other), but being a Swan seems to sit comfortably with him.

That is pure speculation though

I apologise for tige19. He is one of many hateful, dumb, ignorant, faux tough guy Hawthorn posters

You really are ignorant on so many levels.
Just ignore the history to suit your petty gripes.

What history? I love bud but that doesn't extend to the Swans.. I'll be wishing for a bud recovery whilst enjoying the Swans implode

I apologise for tige19. He is one of many hateful, dumb, ignorant, faux tough guy Hawthorn posters

Don't apologise for me.. I have more friends than most from our board! Put me on ignore list pal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers mate. I don't always agree with a lot of your posts, but you seem like a reasonable guy who understands the line between supporting your team, and being an out and out dickhead.

Yours isn't!

Jonathon Hay, Nathan Thompson, now Buddy!

Their issues kept well hidden at the Hawks it seems.
Perhaps not really the club where one can be comfortable enough to speak about their mental illness.
The 'tough' club with known bravado where one shouldn't show their weakness. Straight out of the book of knowledge on how to handle yourself as an AFL footballer by Derm!

More speculation?
Oh wait!
"We're a happy team at Hawthorn"!

Move 'em on. Too hard for us!

Yours isn't!

Perhaps not really the club where one can be comfortable enough to speak about their mental illness.
The 'tough' club with known bravado where one shouldn't show their weakness. Straight out of the book of knowledge on how to handle yourself as an AFL footballer by Derm!

More speculation?
Oh wait!

In which universe did Hawthorn move Buddy on - your post is so predictable :rolleyes:

Your club played a bloke the day after he was admitted to hospital and said player was ruled out of football indefinitely a few days later. I look forward to hearing how you blame Hawthorn for that

I'm a drug and alcohol counsellor and I reckon by my clinical experience only 10% fall into that category of using drugs for fun Or they like the experience

I'm talking about harmful levels though not some bloke who smokes a joint once every six months at parties ....

You need to get out more then, I live down south away from the city and the amount of social drug use in adults is waaaayyy more than 10 % way way more.
And they are all functioning members of society who work, play sport, bring up kids.

By the way you don't have to preface every post with " I'm a drug and alcohol counsellor "

Absolutely - this whole thread is speculation too. Unless any of us have crashed into 5 cars and kicked 700 goals none of us have any idea of what happens in Buddy's World let alone what happens inside his Head.

Anyway, it's pretty safe to say that he's getting the best of support from both Sydney and Hawthorn as well as his friends & family. You'd be mad not to love him.

Or you could look at it from the opposite direction and wonder why Buddy felt comfortable enough to open up about his problems to the Swans, but held it back from Hawthorn for so many years? Obviously different cultures at each club (not saying one's better than the other)

Yes, great that he felt comfortable enough to tell you guys AFTER signing a 9 year 10mil contract, and not before :)

Anyway, it's pretty safe to say that he's getting the best of support from both Sydney and Hawthorn as well as his friends & family. You'd be mad not to love him.

For the most part Hawthorn supporters have been pretty supportive towards Buddy in this thread. It's like some sort of weird alternate dimension where Hawthorn and Sydney supporters are actually agreeing on something.

Yours isn't!

More speculation?
Oh wait!

Your comments in bold are categorically incorrect: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2004-05-26/crawfords-support-for-thompson-on-depression-battle/1982424

As far as Franklin is concerned, Sydney appears to have gone public only because he suffered a seizure in a public place this past Friday and his apparently unrelated mental health condition has deteriorated to the point that he is not able to play this week.

In other words, to avoid the speculation that has plagued Franklin for years and which might otherwise arise in the absence of an official explanation, the club has got on the front foot to clarify the reason he is not able to play this weekend.

Your comments in bold are categorically incorrect: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2004-05-26/crawfords-support-for-thompson-on-depression-battle/1982424

As far as Franklin is concerned, Sydney appears to have gone public only because he suffered a seizure in a public place this past Friday and his apparently unrelated mental health condition has deteriorated to the point that he is not able to play this week.

In other words, to avoid the speculation that has plagued Franklin for years and which might otherwise arise in the absence of an official explanation, the club has got on the front foot to clarify the reason he is not able to play this weekend.

Hahaha..............
This is wonderful!
You followed my speculation with your speculation.

Clever Hawks!
Too clever for everyone else on here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy Out - mental health issue, says club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back